Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have been told by a mormon that 99.9999% of humanity will be saved either in this life, or in the afterlife and only those who are guilty of blasphemy against the holy spirit are lost forever. So, are you saying this is not accurate? How can I believe anything they say when one mormon tells me one thing, and another tells me something else?
Go to the lds.org web site and find out for yourself. When it comes to religion, people say wrong stuff all the time. Also, people misinterpret what they're told. I don't know which happened in your case, maybe some of both.

Also, it depends on your definition of "saved". Mormons believe in different levels of heaven (also known as "degrees of glory"). It's not the black-and-white Heaven/Hell approach used in the rest of Christianity.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We all are faced with various lusts and temptations. You are not unique in that respect.
This is the one the religious dogmatists always pull out. The difference is this:

Tell a heterosexual person that they either have to marry a person of the same gender or stay celibate their whole lives and see how high the success rate is. This is the equivalent standard of what homosexuals are expected to live.

If the double standard isn't obvious, it's because you're not looking.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Go to the lds.org web site and find out for yourself. When it comes to religion, people say wrong stuff all the time. Also, people misinterpret what they're told. I don't know which happened in your case, maybe some of both.

Also, it depends on your definition of "saved". Mormons believe in different levels of heaven (also known as "degrees of glory"). It's not the black-and-white Heaven/Hell approach used in the rest of Christianity.
I'd rather see you quote it from lds.org, because my argument was already confirmed by another mormon.

"Saved" as taught in the Bible means you have eternal life with the Lord as opposed to not having it. Existing in any level of heaven would mean the person was saved.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I went to Capital Pride yesterday and a group of Mormons marched in D.C. Pride too! (I was thinking about you, Katzpur!) There were a bunch of other Christian-affiliated groups too, including Baptists, Lutherans, and Protestants. Personally I think it's great that people can be Christian and allies.

There was a man who was preaching the Bible and preaching against homosexuality. For what it's worth, my interpreter friend even went up, stood next to the man, and started interpreting into sign language for my Deaf friend--even though my interpreter friend is gay and disagrees vehemently with what the man was saying. Most people were just acting "really gay" around the preacher guy and telling him that God loves him and everyone else too.

Isn't it a beautiful thing when people are just allowed to believe what they want, without taking each other's rights away?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I went to Capital Pride yesterday and a group of Mormons marched in D.C. Pride too! (I was thinking about you, Katzpur!)
Thank you, nimchimpsky!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Please discuss the topic. This thread is not about the Morman religion itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies