Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Actually it isn't. It requires a part of the brain to learn a language. the same part of the brain that helps you read and write. Some people can't even speak or write English correctly (and it's their native language) and you want them to learn another language.

Its not lame excuses or laziness. Some people are just born to learn another language (speaking and writing), some can only learn to speak it, and some like me, can only learn to read and write another language, and speaking it can make us become flustered.

since we do not have an official language, there is nothing in the sentence that is remotely true. Businesses cater to their clientele. If their clientele is majority Korean speaking, then that language would be used first. Majority of Korea town, Los Angeles business' signs are in Korean, with the "English" version in smaller print below it.

As for govt, their job is to provide access to everyone to resources that the PUBLIC (and public is a conundrum of various cultures of people who speak a multitude of languages) easily. Not make it difficult.
Most people can learn another language and when immigrants come here and say they can't learn our language it is laziness and a refusal to do so, nothing else in most cases.

So just who are business catering to in Spanish? Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. No, what it is is catering to illegal aliens and those Hispanic-Americans who prefer everything in Spanish for them even though they know English and that is a non-assimilation factor, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
You will have to pick up some Spanish if you want work done.

We have to write "Basura" on our boxes so the cleaning people know they are to be thrown out.
Don't really know why though..if I leave an empty box next to the garbage can it's garbage..right ?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
so? some people are just not born to understand or learn another language. GEE, ain't that a crisis.

Like someone people can't understand math beyond basic algebra (or in some cases 2+2 as Ive seen in some cashiers, who have to pull out calculators to figure out how to give change on a $10 bill for a $3.65 purchase), learning a new language can be QUITE difficult for some people.

my ex's father has lived in Japan for 30 years. He has never mastered learning the language, despite being married to someone who speaks it fluently.

I don't expect an 83 year old woman to learn it quickly enough to do so.
This 83 year old lady lived in the U.S. for 18 years! Why didn't she learn English especially since she wanted to become a citizen?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Most people can learn another language
Yes: MOST. Not all. And the older you get, the harder it is to learn a second language, no matter how long you live in another country.

As I stated, my ex's father has lived in Japan for 30 years. He has yet to learn Japanese. He can read a few signs, but Japan has converted most of their signs at train stations to Japanese and english, that there is no reason for him to do so. He teaches English as a second language so he speaks English all the time.

Quote:
and when immigrants come here and say they can't learn our language it is laziness and a refusal to do so, nothing else in most cases.
and you have interviewed every single immigrant to come to this conclusion?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yes: MOST. Not all. And the older you get, the harder it is to learn a second language, no matter how long you live in another country.

As I stated, my ex's father has lived in Japan for 30 years. He has yet to learn Japanese. He can read a few signs, but Japan has converted most of their signs at train stations to Japanese and english, that there is no reason for him to do so. He teaches English as a second language so he speaks English all the time.

and you have interviewed every single immigrant to come to this conclusion?
No, I am talking about only those immigrants who say they can't or won't learn our language when in fact it is usually laziness or a refusal to do so. I have encountered a few of them and all they do is shrug their shoulders when you ask them why they don't speak English.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
...and here I am last Saturday walking in Walmart and looking for an item.

Walked up to a Walmart employee wearing a Walmart ID around their neck and asked him a question.

Guess what. He doesn't speak English.

This country is currently spining around the toilet and we're heading down the crapper.

BTW...If I moved to another country in order to get a job and learn how to get around I would learn that language. But we make it so easy here not to.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
...and here I am last Saturday walking in Walmart and looking for an item.

Walked up to a Walmart employee wearing a Walmart ID around their neck and asked him a question.

Guess what. He doesn't speak English.

This country is currently spining around the toilet and we're heading down the crapper.

BTW...If I moved to another country in order to get a job and learn how to get around I would learn that language. But we make it so easy here not to.
If you knew how to speak the associate's language - then you would have found your item.

See - you have identified a reason to become bilingual.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. old people generally don't learn new languages well enough lol and + she was probably sick and taken care of by her family the whole time. She had very little need to learn english.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you knew how to speak the associate's language - then you would have found your item.

See - you have identified a reason to become bilingual.
If I walked into a Walmart in their country, then I would have needed a reason to learn their language.

But, guess what...we're in the USA.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why should English be the official language? Why not make Spanish the offical language?
Because this country was founded by "English" colonists. It wasn't founded by Spain, nor France, nor Germany (well, Germany didn't really exist then, but you get the point).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies