Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
If I walked into a Walmart in their country, then I would have needed a reason to learn their language.

But, guess what...we're in the USA.
Why do you presume that the United States is not the associate's country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
the only reason y'all are complaining about her not learning another language is cause you don't wanna yourself

america has no official language and i don't think it ever should.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
the only reason y'all are complaining about her not learning another language is cause you don't wanna yourself

america has no official language and i don't think it ever should.
English is our national language whether it is "official" or not. Immigrants should assimilate to our language not the other way around. We have every right to complain if they don't. I wouldn't dream of migrating to another country and not learning and speaking their language and demand that they learn mine. Such arrogance and rudeness!

There are dozens of different languages being spoken in this country on occasion. Which one should we learn? All of them? No, the fact is that it is only Spanish that is being pushed because that is the langauge of the ethnic group here by far illegally. Scr*w that!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Was she illegally here previously?

I thought you had to take the oath in english?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do you presume that the United States is not the associate's country?
Ok, I'll bite.

But what are the odds of someone being born in the USA and not speaking english?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
There is no requirement that the oath be taken in any particular language.

She is legal citizen now - that is a good thing. Why aren't you joyously celebrating this woman's new status?
I don't see it as a good thing at all. There are obviously some government handouts given to only citizens that she wants in on. She made absolutely no effort to learn even the language of this country.

Why not celebrate when these people decide instead to return to their own country? Do you think those who do that are somehow worse people?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't see it as a good thing at all. There are obviously some government handouts given to only citizens that she wants in on.
How do you come to this conclusion?

Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
why should he/or she? Is there a requirement? On the citizenship test, its only required to know enough English to write and read, but there is no law that says they have be fluent or have to speak it.

for those that say "learn the language", have you gone to learn another language at 65 years old and be fluent at 83?

I've been learning Japanese for nearly 20 years, and the only thing I can ask is for directions, ordering off the menu, and asking where the bathroom is. READING and writing Japanese, I can do just fine.
Well..... is Japan handing you Japanese citizenship and giving you their citizenship oath in English? And of course all their SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, government housing too?

These people are not forced by us to come here, if they're too stupid to understand that the language of this country is English, they have a very valid reason to just stay home.

Would you encourage senile Americans who cannot learn another language to relocate to non-English speaking nations and demand citizenship so they can receive all the government goodies?

I would say the same thing to an American or anyone else, why would you relocate and decide to live for the rest of your life in a country without wanting to learn anything of it, not even the language? If an American told me he was moving to Germany but never intended to speak a word of German, I would think that person should just not relocate to Germany.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
People who have this passion against people who speak other languages need to relax. That lady who took the oath in Spanish did not in any shape or form AFFECT YOU or YOUR LIFE. You didn't even know she existed.

Americans go around the world expecting and even DEMANDING people to speak English. Americans NEVER bother to learn the local languages. Hence the reason the French HATE OUR GUTS.

It's just a language. You like English, good for you. Keep speaking it. No one is gonna take it away from you, so relax.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
How do you come to this conclusion?
She came at age 65 with a serious medical condition -- you can bet she's never worked a day in her life here in this country. She said she came to "help" her children which pretty much means have the US taxpayers help her children. Those children were adults already when she came here, my guess is that she went for citizenship so she can start sponsoring all her family members and get them into this country. Citizenship makes it possible for her to bring in the whole family.

Obviously she didn't come here because she loves this country enough to learn anything of it, not even the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies