Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,801,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So conservatives, who say they are champions of personal freedom and individual rights, want to dictate what job one takes? How is that concept any different from what conservatives used to ridicule communism -- people are forced to work at jobs of the government's choosing?

Interesting hypocrisy.
I guess you know nothing about realities of communism... We are not talking about forcing anybody to do anything. You can simply stop collecting unemployment and stay home. Nothing like communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,436 times
Think about it, when has a road or bridge ever been built for pleasure driving. They are all built for corporate interests. In the 1800's during the canal boom, those canals were built for commercial interests. To move product, if they moved ppl it was because they were paying customers, freight with money. When the laid the rails, same thing, moving products and paying customers.

The interstate system was built for the same reason, to move products between those population center, TRADE.

LOL, you seriously think those sheep sitting in that traffic jam every morning are doing so for personal reasons? Rush hour is nothing but a product of business interests overuse of the roadway. Their workers, their traffic jam. The "BUSINESS" relationship between the worker and the boss, that paycheck, doesn't make commuting a personal joy ride. Each worker is taking part in a commercial transaction and uses that road to execute that Exchange.

Face it roads are built for commerce but the general public foot most of the bill. The uber wealthy business interests hide behind nonsense like yours to evade paying their fair share of the true costs for our infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Maybe helps airport workers commute to work?
Anyways, why do you provide such bizarre examples?. You know very well that most roads do not lead from terminals to interstates. Most roads actually connect cities or other densely populated areas with each other.

What? Of course commuting to work benefits people (income) and is a personal use, based on personal choice. What do you think personal use of roads would be? Driving for fun? Racing?

Sure, there are no people travelling on them. They all use helicopters. Have you ever been to the country?

How can you produce such a mindless nonsense?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,558,385 times
Why should Obama supporters read this? The Democratic Party has always supported hard working people who go above and beyond for others. That is the foundation of our party-Democratic FARMER LABOR is what it stands for.

Do you think the GOP has some kind of a monopoly on hard work? There are many self-made millionaires that are Democratic. I am one of them. I've made my money by working at a union job and by remodeling houses on the weekends and on my "vacations" just like these folks. A vacation for my wife and I is a 3 day weekend occasionally.

My kids are my motivation. I paid for their college and I am going to build each of them a house for a wedding present (already built my daughter a house) I pay for the materials and they help me with the labor and they learn something as well.

So don't paint all us DFLrs with the same brush.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,207,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Then let's make it even simpler, 6 months, then that's it.Just like it USED to be.

The idea is, it's a cushion if you lose your job through no fault of your own, Besides, Almost ANY job that pays even minimum wage, is more money than unemployment anyways.
Do you realize what taking a minimum wage job would do to a persons career? Say you are a CPA, get laid off, take a job at McDonalds out of desperation, end up there a year.....if you didnt just completely destroy your accounting career, you made it extremely difficult to ever get back in it, and even if you did, it would likely be years before you got to the same level you were when you got laid off originally.

Unemployment should not be system used by business as an unlimited source of desperate cheap labor. The place where you can get an MBA for $9 an hour to work your cash register.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sure...you lost a $18 dollar an hour job...go ahead and get a $9 dollar an hour job. It is the same thing...and better than being unemployed. Or if you want a higher paying job...get a student loan...and pay half your salary for the loan payment...
It is not the same thing.

If you were a business man, making widgets, and your fixed costs dictated that you sell your widgets your customers for $18 to just break even would you keep making widgets if your customers only offered to pay $9 each?

Most ppl don't want to pack it in and sell everything they own (housing market is a bit flat) just to fit into a poverty level job. Hope for better options prevent most from taking such a tumble.

We all understand the wingnuts want the middle class to wither and die off, it just that many faced with that choice aren't ready to sell their widgets at a loss.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why should Obama supporters read this? The Democratic Party has always supported hard working people who go above and beyond for others. That is the foundation of our party-Democratic FARMER LABOR is what it stands for.

Do you think the GOP has some kind of a monopoly on hard work? There are many self-made millionaires that are Democratic. I am one of them. I've made my money by working at a union job and by remodeling houses on the weekends and on my "vacations" just like these folks. A vacation for my wife and I is a 3 day weekend occasionally.

My kids are my motivation. I paid for their college and I am going to build each of them a house for a wedding present (already built my daughter a house) I pay for the materials and they help me with the labor and they learn something as well.

So don't paint all us DFLrs with the same brush.
Good for you, making them help with the building, even of that isn't their carrer path, teaches them where things come from. I put "college kids" to work all the time in my home building projects. It is fun to watch the awakings.

I could easily pay off my daughter's $60k student loans but I'd rather have her going to school and "struggle" a bit to understand how things work. Once she's done with her Phd band starting her paying job ill clear her debt.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
It is not the same thing.

If you were a business man, making widgets, and your fixed costs dictated that you sell your widgets your customers for $18 to just break even would you keep making widgets if your customers only offered to pay $9 each?

Most ppl don't want to pack it in and sell everything they own (housing market is a bit flat) just to fit into a poverty level job. Hope for better options prevent most from taking such a tumble.

We all understand the wingnuts want the middle class to wither and die off, it just that many faced with that choice aren't ready to sell their widgets at a loss.
So who should bear the cost of the changing economy? Should we subsidize the production of widgets? Should the people who faced the reality, swallowed their pride and found lower paying jobs should through taxes they pay support those that do not want to face the reality?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
"Stupid semiconductor" Rich.
Even your land and water has no value unless you possess the know-how (intellectual property) necessary to produce food or anything else there. Entire civilizations flourished or perished just because of the level of their technological advancement - their know-how or intellectual property.
You still arent getting it. Even if I cant grow or do anything myself, even if Im the dumbest person on the planet, I can still simply pay someone in produce or land to do it for me. They will have to accept my lowest offer, because their only alternative is to starve and die.

How are you not getting that through your skull? If you have no food or water, and I have the only way to get food or water, you lose. Period. Unless you invented a machine that creates matter out of nothing, basically taking a dump on physics as a science, I could care less what your "great idea" is. You still starve and die. If I happen to like your idea, or I want your labor to cultivate my land, I can pay you minimally, in potatoes and water...... and youll work for it, since you value your life, but, I still can make more potatoes, and more water collects in my rivers, even though Ive now stolen your idea, or learned how to farm myself, making you essentially useless to me. Unless you keep figuring out ways to keep me paying you potatoes and water, you are going to die. Thanks for playing.

Quote:
Yes, intellectual property has actual value just as much as land. Ability to start a fire or invention of wheel where more critical for advancement of humanity as land and water. As a matter of fact some civilizations where nomad who did not care much about owning a land.
1. I see, so, fire, is just as important as basic needs. Amazing. I should probably call Maslo up, and tell him he left fire and the wheel off his heirarchy.

2. Nomads didnt care about owning land, because owning land wasnt a concept. If they needed something from the land, they just stopped and took it, it was essentially "globally owned". Truly landless nomads today subsist mostly on poaching, charity and trying to trade goods for food and water.

Quote:
Get it in your head. Economical value is not a constant for any resource. It changes and can be changed through human actions. Human productivity can introduce or create value everyday: for instance the value of semiconductor is not an aggregate of all the silicon and metal it contains.
Wow, the concept is still passing way over your head. Of course the semiconductor isnt an aggregate of all the silicon and metal it contains, nor was I claiming that. The semiconductor is a medium of exchange, it has no ineherent value at all. Its value is tied to whatever someone else will pay for it, just like the silicon and metals that created it. However, at the very bottom of that chain, is the guy who owns the land the crap came from, and the one who controls the whole shebang.

Quote:
Human ingenuity and know-how was able to transform the sand into something much more valuable.
Depends on what you are talking about.

1. If you are talking about glass or other things that are synthesized or created from sand, those are mediums of exchange

2. If you are talking about the sand becoming more valuable in dollars or some other medium of exchange, because now it has more use, thats irrelevant. Wealth should never be measured in mediums of exchange, because mediums of exchange are either consumables, or worthless. A person could have 1 billion USD, and in an apocolypse, how useful do you think that would be to him, outside of being able to use it to light a few fires?

Quote:
Where did you go to business school?
So, its impossible to have a thought that wasnt taught in school? Maybe thats true in your case, but protracting will get you in to trouble, especially in grown up discussions.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Think about it, when has a road or bridge ever been built for pleasure driving. They are all built for corporate interests. In the 1800's during the canal boom, those canals were built for commercial interests. To move product, if they moved ppl it was because they were paying customers, freight with money. When the laid the rails, same thing, moving products and paying customers.

The interstate system was built for the same reason, to move products between those population center, TRADE.

LOL, you seriously think those sheep sitting in that traffic jam every morning are doing so for personal reasons? Rush hour is nothing but a product of business interests overuse of the roadway. Their workers, their traffic jam. The "BUSINESS" relationship between the worker and the boss, that paycheck, doesn't make commuting a personal joy ride. Each worker is taking part in a commercial transaction and uses that road to execute that Exchange.

Face it roads are built for commerce but the general public foot most of the bill. The uber wealthy business interests hide behind nonsense like yours to evade paying their fair share of the true costs for our infrastructure.

Roads are built for everybody and utilized by passenger cars, motorcycles, buses, trucks and ambulances and not just a commercial traffic. Some roads even by bicycle riders.
I don't think you know what you are talking about. Of course if you think personal joyride is the only personal use of roads while visiting relatives in hospital, driving to a store or to a VOLUNTARY place of employment is commercial use then you are right

Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I guess you know nothing about realities of communism... We are not talking about forcing anybody to do anything. You can simply stop collecting unemployment and stay home. Nothing like communism.

What pillar of communism advocates forcing people to do something again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies