Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM

19 posts, read 15,369 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to self-educating ones self beyond the lessons taught in school. Whatever happened to hallenging your educators, and challenging your own thoughts? Whatever happened to reading books? Whatver happened to reading books contrary to your own opinion, so that you may learn another point of view? Whatever happened to reading books on subjects you don’t think you care about so that maybe you can discover your passion? No lets just keep throwing money at the problem because it couldnt possibly be a laziness, and lack of parenting issue at hand here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I dunno. Seems parents can't do anything these days. I'm waiting for clothes shopping to start showing up in schools.

Yet few are being brought forward with charges of child abuse.

We are turning into the nanny state with government taking care of us from cradle to grave.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:00 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Of course the plan is to get youth reliant on the government from an early age. They become better citizens ( more compliant) later in life.
The dpt of education has now made it its business to feed the children and if you dare object it means you want them to starve.
Thus the big circle of government life keeps on keepin on.
Read the numerous threads here on a daily basis by those who can't imagine a world without the government telling them what to eat, read, say, think...
It's a bleak future.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I dunno. Seems parents can't do anything these days. I'm waiting for clothes shopping to start showing up in schools.

Yet few are being brought forward with charges of child abuse.

We are turning into the nanny state with government taking care of us from cradle to grave.
Here on the border that's actually being done, the schools provide clothes to the children. The parents are that lazy.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
About 28 years ago when Colecovision went over the 2 million mark. It became the home sitter. Parents didn't have to watch their kids anymore and they didn't have to worry where they were anymore either. As more gaming machines came on the market, kids played outdoors less and read less. As time went on parents interacted less with their kids thus there was no follow up to the lessons learned in schools. So even with the amount of teacher growth (and teacher pay increase) it was (and is) cancelled out by parent apathy. Parents are apethetic to the fact that a teacher only spends about 40 minutes a day on each subject or about 7 hours a day in total. Yet the parent has them 9 hours a day (awake) plus holidays & weekends reinforce nearly nothing. Even with the addition of computers and electronic calculators, the kids of today barely know more than those of 28 years ago based on current SAT scores.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-17-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
People who blame teachers or the government 100% for poor students and rarely blame the parents are part of the problem.

You see a lot of it on internet forums. Teacher did this, teacher did that, schools are this, and that, rarely do these people blame parents or even the kids themselves.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
People who blame teachers or the government 100% for poor students and rarely blame the parents are part of the problem.

You see a lot of it on internet forums. Teacher did this, teacher did that, schools are this, and that, rarely do these people blame parents or even the kids themselves.
golly molly I rep't you for the first time great post

Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Eh, well I did not move here until I was eight years old, so I cannot say exactly when. I am not trying to put down American culture, but I always noticed it was much more prevalent when I came here. In the West Indies there is a big "Do for self" when it comes to obtaining knowledge and I was fortunate to be apart of it. Even to this day I research information on my own for various subjects, even outside of my field. Bottom line is this: If your parents do not take a vested interest in your education and you yourself refuse to put your best foot forward no school can help you.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybarboni View Post
When did this bs mentality of depending on schools to provide 100% of a childs education start?
When I was in elementary school my parents (more specifically, my Mom) encouraged/required that my brother and I study 'beyond' the homework we were given by our teachers. Many, but not all, of the other students in my classes did not have the benefit of the same encouragement or requirement.

[that was in the 70s]

Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
When did this bs mentality of depending on schools to provide 100% of a childs education start?

When the economy of the US changed in the 80s that required both parents to work to maintain a household and standard of living. Blame it on business interests. We needed more workers so women were recruited into the workforce to handle corporate expansion. Schools became responsible for totally educating our children and babysitting them also. Most kids know their teachers better than their parents. And no.....it's not Obama's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies