Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 AM

194 posts, read 325,699 times

Advertisements

As part of President Obama's new education reform, her is calling for rewarding good teachers and weeding out the bad. I think that's a wonderful concept but I believe that you have to begin by taking at look at principals of the failing schools.

I believe that the Principal is at the heart of a good school. The principal is responsible for interviewing new prospective teachers, over-seeing the relationship between parent and school, guiding students and establishing effective communication with teachers, parents and students.

Bad principals are unaware of what's going on in classrooms, ineffective at handling of discipline problems, and inattentive to the concerns of the parents, students and teachers. Those principals are less likely to retain good teachers and encourage involvement of the parents.

The teachers and students become unmotivated. Teachers sometimes feed student's test answers in order to boost their class achievement level because that becomes the school's main focus. Student's aren't given the individual attention needed and aren't taught the value of receiving a real education. The teachers are more likely to burn-out and students more likely to drop out.

I believe that in most cases the principals at failing schools should be removed before any real changes can take place.

Last edited by Awakening Escapade; 03-13-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times
I agree with you. I also think that a huge part that has been missing from all of the education plans is outreach to parents. They need to get them connected to the school and supporting school efforts at home.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 AM

490 posts, read 1,433,848 times
Considering the rewards will be based on testing scores I think it is an awful idea. Just because test scores are low does not mean a teacher is bad! There are many factors that influence the learning the process. This will just put more pressure on teachers to teach the test.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM

You have to understand that the pressure on principals to get high scores comes from thier superiors...this pressure is then trickled down to the teachers from the principal. The problem starts at the top!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
There is a LOT more to education that the ability to take a test. Testing is a bureaucratic way to eliminate judgment from the determination of educational level. It is used to eliminate having the judges take responsibility for the results of the determination.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
I think we need TRADE SCHOOLS starting in 9th grade. Let's face it, not every kid is going to be a scholar. And frankly, those types of kids don't do well in the classroom enviroment, and slow down those that are studying. Train them for a skill.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
public schools wont change. no matter how good the principle and teacher, a dozen gangbangers can shut down a school. the schools are rabid with thugs and our disfunctional justice system will not remove them. shut down the schools voucher now.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM

I think as long as we continue to teach to the test...basically teach kids to answer mulitple choice questions...we are not preparing them properly for the real world. The public school system is awful and it got worse with NCLB.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
Schools are failing because everything Liberal is a failure by design. Look at states like NY, NJ and CA I did my first 2 years of high school in CT, and although the high school was excellent, kids were pretty much free to do whatever they wanted, they even had a smoking area for students, we were free to leave the high school during our open blocks and there were not a lot of rules. I moved in TX in the beginning of my sophomore year and although it was a culture shock, I really like the "no BS" attitude down there. The principals of the school was very tough and respected, we referred to our teachers as Sir and Ma'am, they did not teach any Liberal BS like "Heather has 2 Mommies" or other godless Liberal crap. As you can see I am a product of the TX high school system and I turned out just fine!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
In Texas we TOTALLY teach to the TAKS Test.
PE is once a week, art and music on a 5 day rotation. It's a very basic, fill in the bubble educatiion.

Get rid of the standardized testing that is used for the soul purpose of getting federal funding and we will have a better education system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies