Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Who is deneying anyone their rights, as defined in the Declaration of Independence? "Life, liberty, and the persuit of happines," and I would add to that "property" which though not specifically stated in that document, it is implicit, and our laws protect our right to property.

What is your definition of a "right"?
The United States of America defines marriage as a right.

Loving v. Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a list of things that one benefits from with marriage:

Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The United States of America defines marriage as a right.

Loving v. Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a list of things that one benefits from with marriage:

Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How did I know that is what you were going to bring up!!! Of course.

But, marriage is something between a man and a woman, not two people of the same sex, and it has been that since the begining of history, as far as I know. It was ordained by God.

If you don't like it, too bad. That's they way it is.

You can have a "civil union," but it "aint" marriage. Marriage is (most always) for the purpose of raising a family, though some couples choose not to have children.

Families, husband and wife, and children, are good for society.

Sorry. Being "gay" does not entitle you to the same benefits as marriage. Quit trying to screw with society to make it bend to your quirky lifestyle!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
How did I know that is what you were going to bring up!!! Of course.

But, marriage is something between a man and a woman, not two people of the same sex, and it has been that since the begining of history, as far as I know. It was ordained by God.

If you don't like it, too bad. That's they way it is.

You can have a "civil union," but it "aint" marriage. Marriage is (most always) for the purpose of raising a family, though some couples choose not to have children.

Families, husband and wife, and children, are good for society.

Sorry. Being "gay" does not entitle you to the same benefits as marriage. Quit trying to screw with society to make it bend to your quirky lifestyle!
In this country marriage is a legal binding of two people. God is not involved in the LEGAL, CIVIL marriage.
If you want to have a religious marriage, that is fine, but not everyone in this country believes in your god, and some churches are perfectly fine with same sex marriage.

Many same sex couple are raising children, and should be afforded the same protections as any other family.
If YOU don't like that, too bad.

Most states don't even have civil unions for same sex couples, and where they are legal they are not EVER equal to the state and federal benefits and privileges that go with a marriage license.

Sorry, but being an American citizen entitles me to the same benefits as every other American citizen. Quit trying to deny rights, and privileges that our constitution guarantees to EVERY American citizen.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In this country marriage is a legal binding of two people. God is not involved in the LEGAL, CIVIL marriage.
If you want to have a religious marriage, that is fine, but not everyone in this country believes in your god, and some churches are perfectly fine with same sex marriage.

Many same sex couple are raising children, and should be afforded the same protections as any other family.
If YOU don't like that, too bad.

Most states don't even have civil unions for same sex couples, and where they are legal they are not EVER equal to the state and federal benefits and privileges that go with a marriage license.

Sorry, but being an American citizen entitles me to the same benefits as every other American citizen. Quit trying to deny rights, and privileges that our constitution guarantees to EVERY American citizen.
I couldn't care less if you don't believe in God. That's your businness. And for American's throughout our history (until perhaps modern times), marriage has been accepted as something between a man and a woman only, and has been seen as a covenant they make together in the sight of GOD! Whenever the state got involved to issue marriage licences, I don't know, but that did not change the meaning of the relationship as a covenant before GOD.

And no, you do not have a right to change what God has created to suit your immoral lifestyle.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I couldn't care less if you don't believe in God. That's your businness. And for American's throughout our history (until perhaps modern times), marriage has been accepted as something between a man and a woman only, and has been seen as a covenant they make together in the sight of GOD! Whenever the state got involved to issue marriage licences, I don't know, but that did not change the meaning of the relationship as a covenant before GOD.

And no, you do not have a right to change what God has created to suit your immoral lifestyle.
There were marriages long before the bible, and long before your religion was created.

We are discussing the civil marriage laws. You, and your church are allowed to not like, deny, or condemn any marriage inside of your own religion. The government is not allowed to deny any American citizen the rights and privileges that are granted to any other American citizen.

My constitution trumps your bible.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
I want the same benefits that people in Congress and gvernment service get, but I don't because I'm not a government worker. I don't have a "right" to benefits reserved for other people. Marriage is reserved for a man and woman.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I want the same benefits that people in Congress and gvernment service get, but I don't because I'm not a government worker. I don't have a "right" to benefits reserved for other people. Marriage is reserved for a man and woman.
No marriage is a legal contract as far as the government is concerned. There is no other legal contract that requires a the participants in the contract to be of a certain sex. A man can marry a woman, but a woman can not. This is discrimination based on the sex of the person wishing to enter into the contract.

What benefits do the members of congress have that you don't have access to?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:

What benefits do the members of congress have that you don't have access to?
Pension, health care, etc. The same things gay couples want from same sex "marriage". Benefits are not a "right" and that's what you want, benefits.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Pension, health care, etc. The same things gay couples want from same sex "marriage". Benefits are not a "right" and that's what you want, benefits.
You have the option of working a job that has pensions, and healthcare. I don't have any option to have my marriage recognized by the government.

See nothing is being denied for you.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:

For the GOVERNMENT, marriage is ONLY about conferring the rights, responsibilities, and BENEFITS between the people entering into the marriage contract. It's why you have to get licensed by the government in the first place. You can get married all day, every day in your church, mosque or synagogue, but unless you get the paper from the GOVERNMENT, you're marriage is worth jack crap to the government, and you have NO enforceable rights, privileges or benefits.

Conferring the RIGHT to contract for benefits on one group through the "marriage contract" and excluding the RIGHT of another group to contract for those same benefits through the "marriage contract" is a denial of RIGHTS for no good reason.

There is no other alternative available to gay people to obtain the package of rights and benefits that can be obtained by a straight couple within 10 minutes at a DRIVE THROUGH WINDOW IN VEGAS!

You cannot contract for a spousal immunity privilege in court. You cannot contract for a right to sue for loss of consortium or wrongful death if your partner dies or is injured in court. You cannot contract for your same sex partner from another country to remain in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies