Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Gay men outnumber lesbian women 3 to 1 (I think - I know male to female transsexuals outnumber female to males 9 to 1). It's due to the fact that all foetuses start out as 'female' (this is not quite technically true as the foetus is not developed but it simplifies things somewhat). Gay men appear to have feminized brains whereas lesbian women have masculinised brains. As we are all basically 'female' at conception it seems that it is more likely for a male foetus to under develop, than it is for a female foetus to over develop hence resulting in the disparity of numbers.
I think the couple I know, in a relationship which has lasted for over 20 years, would hardly be noticed. On was a housemate who was never home and she explained she was gay, and afraid to tell her father because of his delicate health. So she officially live at our house but was never there. Her relationship started not too long before I got together with my husband and that was a bad mistake. Her's is happy and healthy, though when they were buying a barbie for her partner's neice they sounded like an old marriad couple.

I read somewhere, or saw on a documentary, that something like ten times the number of males are created in utero, but the births are almost even. The reason is males are more likely to have congenital problems, or die before a woman knows she's pregnant. More male babies die before birth as well. They speculate nature has made the numbers balance out by there being far more males. Makes sense that more men would be gay as well just because there are more to start with.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think gay men are just the easiest ones to target on because SOME of them are obvious.

And I don't mean that as an insult; its just a fact.
Some lesbians dress up looking like boys so much that real boys may ask, "Are you a boy or girl"? It may lead to trouble as in what happened to this lesbian: http://www.stwnewspress.com/crimebea...was-hate-crime

Old 07-07-2012, 03:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Some lesbians dress up looking like boys so much that real boys may ask, "Are you a boy or girl"? It may lead to trouble as in what happened to this lesbian: Stillwater woman says attack was hate crime » Crime Beat » Stillwater NewsPress
some straight women do too.

I have a female friend who just likes men clothing because she has a very boxy figure; small boobs and no hips or butt.

She gets questioned often about her sexuality but she's cool with it.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not all gay men, or lesbians are the stereotype. You couldn't pick me as a lesbian out of a crowd.
I'll bet that statement increased your profile visits.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
On most forums such as this, the number of homosexual posters who are men vastly outnumber the number who are women. In real life, it also appears somewhat this way. Gay men have far more spotlight than do lesbians. The city where I live (Charlotte) has like 5-6 bars for gay men but only one for lesbians. A research report I read back in the '90s said that there are 10 gay men for every lesbian. Is homosexuality really more common in men than in women and if so, why might this be?
I don't know this to be a fact but I think that gay men may be more prone to starting threads on public forums than lesbians. Particularly when they are also religious whack-jobs.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:07 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Gay men certainly outnumber lesbians.

The one thing that has always interested me is that men who are abused by men usually turn out gay whereas women who are abused by men often turn out to be lesbian. Deep down I think men will have sex with anyone and their initial sexual experiences drive them. Women, however, are much more selective because sex is not the driving factor in our lives that it is for men.
I ran a rape crisis/domestic violence shelter, advocacy and counseling program for 7 years--what you're saying is a load of crock. If your premise--that same sex sexual abuse causes homosexuality--was true, then about 100% of our male adult survivor of childhood sexual assault clients would have been gay, and the truth is the numbers were about the same that you'd find in the general population--10%. The vast majority of child rapists are male, so your theory on lesbians doesn't work either. You don't "make" people gay. People are born that way. FYI pedophiles aren't "gay" either--they aren't attracted to same sex adults. They're sexually attracted to CHILDREN.

I find it best to just shut up when I have no idea what I'm talking about. You might want to consider that option yourself.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Gay men certainly outnumber lesbians.

The one thing that has always interested me is that men who are abused by men usually turn out gay whereas women who are abused by men often turn out to be lesbian.
According to all the research and the educated, evidence-based opinions of health professionals, sexual orientation is not caused by child sexual abuse.

For example, from the 2009 Wilson and Widom longitudinal study of over 900 people who were sexually abused as children:
"We also found no connections between childhood physical abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect and romantic cohabitation with a same-sex partner.
These results were consistent for men and women and support the conclusions of Bell et al. (1981) that early parenting experiences, positive or negative, play little direct role in the development of sexual orientation"
(Wilson & Widom, 2009)

The American Academy of Pediatricians which represents over 60,000 pediatricians states:
"there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation."

The Royal College of Psychiatrists states:
"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment."

Last edited by Ceist; 07-08-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Here is a 1999 article from The Independent Gay Forum, discussing some of the research on the matter. Most of the cited studies conclude that male homosexuals outnumber female homosexuals by a ratio of about 2 to 1.

More Gays than Lesbians

At any rate, it's difficult to deny that most cultures are far more judgmental of gay men.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Where I live, it seems I see 10 lesbians to every gay man. Maybe it is because of the local gay culture. The women like to look dykey and the guys prefer to blend and not be flamboyant. Or maybe I have no gaydar

Seriously, I thought it was just me, but then a friend of mine joshed that he doesn't even have to look at the gate numbers at the airport, he just looks for the gate with a bunch of women with buzzcuts and Birkenstocks to know he is at the right gate. :-)

Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Where I live, it seems I see 10 lesbians to every gay man. Maybe it is because of the local gay culture. The women like to look dykey and the guys prefer to blend and not be flamboyant. Or maybe I have no gaydar

Seriously, I thought it was just me, but then a friend of mine joshed that he doesn't even have to look at the gate numbers at the airport, he just looks for the gate with a bunch of women with buzzcuts and Birkenstocks to know he is at the right gate. :-)
This is true, gay guys who don't attempt to blend in pay serious consequences. Gay guys don't have the luxury of wearing female clothing, the way lesbians can get away with wearing mens clothing. Our society has an extreme disdain for any femininity in its males. Guys, straight or gay who work at occupations stereotypical of women are often judged as less than real men. An example, which is pretty sad is that male nurses are still looked down upon. Gay guys learn the more stereotypical male attributes they adopt, the better off they are. It was actually gay guys that broke back military hair cuts, such as the "high n tight" or buzz cuts. Gay guys are also the first guys who started shaving their heads; this took place in the early to mid 90's. Working out at a gym is a big plus too, particularly to the point of obsession, which is why so many body builders are gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies