Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,212,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I do believe this is called "owned."
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Really. The gentleman just admitted that Africans weren't armed with guns.
Hardly "owned." He was more or less agreeing with me. Not having firearms put them at a disadvantage but it didn't mean they were completely hopeless. Some of the indigenous weapons used by people in Africa and South and Central America were pretty terrifying. Not all weapons they had in Africa were made of stone, either... I'm pretty sure that they did trade for iron as well as knowing how to use other metals, like bronze.

Gun control has nothing to do with slavery, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Native americans were armed and still they were raped......Being armed helps but being grossly out numbered is key to asymmetric warfare.
This, pretty much. I wouldn't say they were outnumbered, just that they were outmatched- unlike Africa, where they had all sorts of nasty diseases that helped to kill off colonists/invaders, the conquerors of the Americas BROUGHT the disease in addition to having better equipment. Hard to fight back when more than half your tribe has been decimated by disease.

Guns, Germs, and Steel by that Jared Diamond guy pretty well sums it up, even if it is somewhat Euro-centric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
No, if they'd had guns, they'd just have sold captured members of other tribes, surplus children, etc., into slavery.

Oh, wait.... That's what they did anyway. Oh, well...
Don't need firearms to be a bastard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM

46,374 posts, read 27,221,056 times
Quote:
Really. The gentleman just admitted that Africans weren't armed with guns.

Yea, and.....did you read anything else? Does not look like it....

Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Hardly "owned." .
yes....yes he was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Gun control has nothing to do with slavery, by the way.
Then why is that the topic of discussion?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM

170 posts, read 129,518 times
Quote:
Just remember that all you folks that love the idea of gun control.
Well actually part of the reason why they were taken in as slaves was because tribes traded them in for arms. Many powerful tribes simply sold other tribes in order to obtain arms and then capture more people. Guns helped facilitate slavery.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,508,779 times
Quote:
They were armed.

[slaves without arms would have been generally useless]

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,885,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
Well actually part of the reason why they were taken in as slaves was because tribes traded them in for arms. Many powerful tribes simply sold other tribes in order to obtain arms and then capture more people. Guns helped facilitate slavery.

So what you're saying is that criminals had firearms, and the African that got taken as slaves minding their own businessdidnt have them .

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The only thing that was "owned" were slaves because they didnt have firearms. That was confirmed on this thread. Toodles.
Please tell me when the first firearm was invented (useable on a repeatable basis), and then please tell me when the first slave was a slave....

I'm waiting.....

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,885,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Please tell me when the first firearm was invented (useable on a repeatable basis), and then please tell me when the first slave was a slave....

I'm waiting.....

In the 1600's. African slaves the earliest started arriving roughly 370 yrs ago. Put your hand down. Please spare me the "Slavery has been going on for thousands of years" . This thread specified African slaves because their plight of being brought to this country coincided with a timeframe of which firearms existed.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,864,866 times
Africans were armed when they went into the Interior of Africa to gather their fellow Africans for their European employers to be put on the Portuguese and French ships to be sent to The New World.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,511,864 times
Quote:
The Africans were "armed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies