Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Fix'd.
Fail. You still have to be union to work at the plant. But don't lose sleep for the union jobs lost, they all have great pensions and insurance. Most went to other plants or took early retirement. I'm sure you are very concerned about them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
The liberals here, closed and shut down one of our Hydro electric dams from producing, because it was and has been in the impoverished neighborhood(poor side of town, before it was the poor side of town), for many decades.

We had 3 damns in the Austin area, producing electricity. Now we have 2 and our population has boomed.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The liberals here, closed and shut down one of our Hydro electric dams from producing, because it was and has been in the impoverished neighborhood(poor side of town, before it was the poor side of town), for many decades.

We had 3 damns in the Austin area, producing electricity. Now we have 2 and our population has boomed.
That seems crazy. Did they do it for some kind of environmental reasons?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I don't know much about electrcity but as I am around to different places, I have seen these little generators that are powered by natural gas. I wonder if the really big generators that are powered by filthy coal can be instead powered the same way by gas. We have lots and lots of gas and it is cheap and a whole lot better than filthy dirty coal is. I wonder why we are not using it.
The one problem with natural gas is that over the past 10-15 years, prices have fluctuated up to 300%. Coal, although much dirtier, is a very reliable, dependable and stable source of energy.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The one problem with natural gas is that over the past 10-15 years, prices have fluctuated up to 300%. Coal, although much dirtier, is a very reliable, dependable and stable source of energy.
We have a huge coal burning power plant west of the Twin Cities still and there is a really big one in western Minnesota. Coal is still a cornerstone for power production for Minnesota along with two nuclear plants.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We have a huge coal burning power plant west of the Twin Cities still and there is a really big one in western Minnesota. Coal is still a cornerstone for power production for Minnesota along with two nuclear plants.
...and the EPA is busy, busy, busy, writing so many regulations that those coal plants will be forced to jack up everyone's electricity rates. The two coal power plants around me have paid hundreds of millions of dollars, complying with just the Bush era EPA regs, Obama's new regs are causing serious financial problems. They are even being forced to shut down plants for days at a time, to comply with insane EPA demands.

The EPA is not interested in a gradual transition away from coal, they just want to eliminate it, now. The EPA is being run by ideologically driven zealots. These people have no care or concern for the nation's energy needs, all they know is coal, oil and natural gas are bad, they must destroy those industries, and to hell with everything else.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
...and the EPA is busy, busy, busy, writing so many regulations that those coal plants will be forced to jack up everyone's electricity rates. The two coal power plants around me have paid hundreds of millions of dollars, complying with just the Bush era EPA regs, Obama's new regs are causing serious financial problems. They are even being forced to shut down plants for days at a time, to comply with insane EPA demands.

The EPA is not interested in a gradual transition away from coal, they just want to eliminate it, now. The EPA is being run by ideologically driven zealots. These people have no care or concern for the nation's energy needs, all they know is coal, oil and natural gas are bad, they must destroy those industries, and to hell with everything else.
The thing is, modern coal plants are nothing like they used to be but they just keep the bad name which is unfortunate. They have super clean plants now, like the new Big Stone plant in Minnesota. They burn coal with natural gas-something like 90% coal and 10% gas but it makes the coal burn 100X cleaner. Very little pollution but you know--these EPA people have to protect their jobs and that is what is sad.

Just like the Minnesota Office of Pipeline Safety. The agency was started because of a few incidents. No doubt stricter rules and regulations were needed. A fuel pipeline blew up due to poor maintenance and a mother and child were killed. A building blew up due to poor construction standards by the gas utility.

So they started this agency that has grown into a monster and harasses the utilities at every turn and costs the ratepayers a lot of money.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I happen to know that this was planned during the Bush era. Natural gas is cheap, plentiful and much cleaner (even though it does put CO2 into the air). You don't convert a coal burning power plant to natural gas in one presidential term
So Bush shoved EPA regulations down the throats of the coal industry forcing plants to shut down and rates to soon skyrocket? Bush made the stimulus and green jobs his economic agenda? Now I know you folks blame Bush for everything when it goes down the tubes for the great and mighty orator.........come to think of it that is all I hear is Bush blaming lately. I guess that's because everything Obama does goes down the tubes.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
^^^^Which is pretty much the way that President Pass The Buck has operated since he was sworn into office.

Trying to blame a tsunami for our economic woes is beyond asinine.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So Bush shoved EPA regulations down the throats of the coal industry forcing plants to shut down and rates to soon skyrocket? Bush made the stimulus and green jobs his economic agenda? Now I know you folks blame Bush for everything when it goes down the tubes for the great and mighty orator.........come to think of it that is all I hear is Bush blaming lately. I guess that's because everything Obama does goes down the tubes.
The EPA under Bush was concerned with getting coal power plants to burn cleaner, and reduce particulate matter into the air air. Coal power plants all over the nation installed smokestack scrubbers, at the cost of hundreds of millions to consumers.

Obama and the AGW crowd are no longer concerned with cleaner air, they are on a carbon free crusade...the have no sensible plans to offer a replacement technology, just a crusade to kill fossil fuels... that's the extent of their thought processes.

Then, the Obama era arrived and they created new unrealistic regulation standards, and suddenly every coal power plant is in violation of these new standards, and the EPA is demanding yet-to-be-built coal plants must conform to new EPA carbon reduction standards for carbon capture and storage technology, which is technology that doesn’t currently exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies