Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who runs those natural gas generators? I thought it was the same kind of businesses that do it from coal. I am saying that the main reason gas hasn't replaced coal is that the cost of replacement is prohibitive until the coal generators are worn out. I am sure that as that happens they will be replaced. Also, the price of coal will go up rapidly, if Obama gets his way, and that may cause a few more coal plants to close down so new gas generators can replace them. Of course, the price of electricity will make a very rapid rise to the consumers according to what Obama promised.
To the best of my knowledge, coal plants use coal combustion to boil water into steam. This steam is then used to drive steam turbines. To run efficiently, these need to run at a near steady state operation. They don't like to be started and stopped.

NG plants that I'm aware of use the gas to fuel a gas-turbine (think "jet" engine). The gas is burned directly in the combustor section of the turbine where the heat and expanding gas/air mix drive the turbine wheel. One nice feature is that they can be fired/turned on/off as required to meet changing demand.

I doubt that it is efficient to use NG to fuel the boilers of current-generation coal plants, combustion temperatuers are probably different. If so, you really aren't converting a coal plant to NG, you are tearing out the old one and replacing it.

Remember 3-4 years ago when NG prices were spiking? It was a big deal with the cost of heating. Then new technology was developed that dramitically increased NG production, driving costs down. Unfortunately that technology is now under attack by the "environmental" community.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-09-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I don't know much about electrcity but as I am around to different places, I have seen these little generators that are powered by natural gas. I wonder if the really big generators that are powered by filthy coal can be instead powered the same way by gas. We have lots and lots of gas and it is cheap and a whole lot better than filthy dirty coal is. I wonder why we are not using it.
We are. My electric provider is charging me based on the price of natural gas. And my mother's property collects royalties on the production of natural gas. It's kinda like I'm paying mom back for the trouble raising me.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
I don't know much about electrcity but as I am around to different places, I have seen these little generators that are powered by natural gas. I wonder if the really big generators that are powered by filthy coal can be instead powered the same way by gas. We have lots and lots of gas and it is cheap and a whole lot better than filthy dirty coal is. I wonder why we are not using it.
You can harness electricity through good ole mother nature and electrical storms. It was done at the turn of the century by Nikoli Tesla.

He also expiremented with transferring wireless energy. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the energy industry won out.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Um there are large natural gas power plants already.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm not blaming Bush for anything. I'm just saying that the High Bridge and Riverside generating plants in the Twin Cities were planned for conversion to natural gas since the early to mid 2000's. You may be able to blame Clinton, I'm not sure.
Planning for conversion and forcing it are two different animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies