Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times

Advertisements

It's like a basic misunderstanding of math. A greater percentage of a population on welfare is not the same as a majority of a population being on welfare. This gets confused all the time for multiple topics.

All the OP is trying to say is that most black people are not on welfare and once more, don't qualify. So the idea that black people vote for handouts doesn't make much sense.

But I suspect many of you will accuse me of making that up. It's weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It's like a basic misunderstanding of math. A greater percentage of a population on welfare is not the same as a majority of a population being on welfare. This gets confused all the time for multiple topics.

All the OP is trying to say is that most black people are not on welfare and once more, don't qualify. So the idea that black people vote for handouts doesn't make much sense.

It's you too that doesn't understand math! A greater percentage of the AA population itself is recieving these benefits as compared to whites! Let's deal with truths, it will make us better people.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
... what is the basis for the conservative meme that African Americans are loyal to the Democratic Party because of government benefits that they don't even qualify for to begin with? And why is it so hard for conservatives to grasp that such a meme is inherently racist and as result offensive to the vast majority of African American voters?

61 percent of welfare recipients are white.

88.7 percent of Social Security and disability payments are white.

46.2 percent of Food Stamp recipients are white.

48.5 percent of medicaid recipients are white.

Who gets welfare? Despite prevailing stereotype, whites, not blacks, collect greatest share of public aid dollars | Ebony | Find Articles

In 2008 African Americans comprised 12.8 percent of the population, account for 8.6 of GDP and were 11 percent of all workers.

Blacks' Role in the U.S. Economy

And, while conservatives are quick to seize upon the fact that 27.4 percent of African Americans living below the poverty line, I find in telling that the headlines never read;

Nearly 3/4s of African Americans Live Above the Poverty Line.

Which would be news since in 1960 55% of African Americans lived in poverty.

So the question becomes, if 3/4s of African Americans live above the poverty line, comprise 12.8 percent of the population and 11 percent of the workforce, even if 99.9 percent of all welfare recipients where African American, how does one even begin to try and support the argument that 90% of working African Americans are loyal to the Democratic Party because THEY get "government handouts". The answer is that the meme is unsupportable and African Americans fundamentally understand that.

The reality is that the "free stuff" meme is nothing more than a new variation of the Ronald Reagan "Welfare Queen" writ large.

So, It is the height of irony that the Republican Party's in its disingenuous attempt to find excuses for its abject failure to make inroads into the African American electorate to promote a blatantly racist stereotype that only acts to further cement African American antipathy towards the GOP, and as a result, ensures that 90+ precent of African Americans will remain loyal to the Democratic Party for the foreseeable future.
Looks like you and Ebony are math challenged. Earth to Ovcatto the country is what 65% White, throw in Hispanics who identify as White and we're up to nearly 80%. Have a nice day.

Also it should be noted that one doesn't have to be on welfare to be dependent on the government. Blacks make up a disproportinate amount of the federal workforce and in some states and cities a disproportinate amount of the local government force. For example here in the DC area 97% of Metro Bus Drivers and Train Operators are Black. If ever there was a case of discrimination there's one.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Let's simply this, suppose a martian and his wife crashes his spacecraft in the US and needs to go on assistance since he has no skills. While a fraction of percent of those on assistance would be martians which is the number the OP is trying to use the correct number to use if you wanted to compare to the white population is that 100% of martians in the US are on assistance.

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm trying to quit smoking but you folks make if very difficult...

Look, here is premises underlying the Republic meme;

"African Americans support the Democratic Party in numbers consistently in 90 percentile because, quote "They depend on free stuff from the government." So;

1. In order for that to be true, the vast majority of African Americans have to be in a position to receive that free stuff, which is statistically impossible because the vast majority of African American do not qualify for government assistance and certainly don't qualify and anywhere near a rate approaching the 90% rate of support that American Americans give to the Democratic Party.

2. We know that voter turnout amongst the lowest quintile of potential voters, based upon income is also the lowest group to participate in actually voting. If that is the case then the absolute number and the percentage of "getters of free stuff" is further reduced, increasing percentage of voters who DO NOT vote out of motivation for government assistance.

In short poor folk just don't vote at the same rate as higher income earners, and no be they black white or purple the lowest quintile in neither in absolute nor proportionality significantly large enough out number higher earners.

3. While no one would deny that African Americans disproportionately earn less than below the official demarcation of poverty In absolute numbers which are how votes are counted, more low income whites have an incentive to support the Democratic Party than African Americans because they to get "free stuff" from the government, yet the silence about poor whites voting for the Democrats for the same reasons, is deafening. We don't hear or read conservative Republics railing against poor whites who in absolute numbers would be voters in need of ending their "slavery" to the Democratic plantation or at the very least stop being share croppers.

So in short, despite the bad math, reading comprehension failures and attempts to deflect the conversation, the FACT remains that the Republican Party attempt to portray African Americans as a whole as being mired and poverty and always on the look out for a freebee and as a result support the Democratic Party is not only statistically false it is racist to boot.
ovcatto. put those cigarettes down and stop smoking!!!

I agree with your post. But I want a job creator for president.. we need jobs for all colors. And forget about the freeloaders, they will not work and hustle anyway they can to not work.. and that is for all races.. you don't have to prove to me that whites are the same as blacks . Good and bad in all people.. I just get upset that some blacks are afraid to go out at night in some neighborhoods where gun shots are always being heard... I have black neighbors where I live and they are good people and their kids are awesome..and I feel stupid having to say that to you.

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:

There really is no point in trying to prove anything to these ignorant posters. Truth is, every society will always need an underclass who mostly share the same set of characteristics. I mean we all can't be winners in life, many people are born to be losers in life. That includes the racist on this forum who blame all of the ills of society on blacks. With that being said, many people, in reality, are glad to see blacks being the underclass. Though they will not flat out say such things.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
There really is no point in trying to prove anything to these ignorant posters. Truth is, every society will always need an underclass who mostly share the same set of characteristics. I mean we all can't be winners in life, many people are born to be losers in life. That includes the racist on this forum who blame all of the ills of society on blacks. With that being said, many people, in reality, are glad to see blacks being the underclass. Though they will not flat out say such things.
They only thing that needed to be proven was that the OP was BS. There was no need to try and deceive to make any of the points you just mentioned.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Exactly, people are finally understanding how the Democrats want to see blacks being the underclass.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's you too that doesn't understand math! A greater percentage of the AA population itself is recieving these benefits as compared to whites! Let's deal with truths, it will make us better people.
Huh? I said a greater proportion are on welfare. I understand that fine. That is a real problem that deserves attention.

But, most blacks still aren't on welfare. Which is the OP's point.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:

Of course it does. Although I don't necessarily agree with the meme that Blacks want handouts. I believe Blacks simply support big government for a myriad of reasons.

However if a group of people are disproportinately on welfare stands to reason they would support government handouts. Whether they make up the majority of recipients is irrelevant. I listen to Black talk radio nearly everyday and repeatedly one of the reasons the hosts and listeners cite for supporting Dems is because the GOP wants to cut various programs etc.

Are logic and reasoning skills taught in schools any longer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies