Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,308,585 times

Advertisements

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZZ4BDDDD26[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	98702

Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
That is exactly what I mean by Obama having to wear these comments, no matter what he said before or after. Every politician, including Obama, is going to have their comments scrutinized. Romney is seizing an opportunity just as Obama would and already has done. The Obama campaign is creating ads that don't tell the whole story. For example, on this very issue, the Obama campaign is putting out ads saying that Romney is agreeing with what Obama said--saw one this morning. No one in America can disagree with everything Obama says or everything Romney says if they are intellectually honest with themselves. But to say in the ad that Romney is misquoting or misrepresenting what Obama said is not right. I guess we are agreeing to disagree.
Don't you think that context matters?

This out of context quotation is done all the time to mislead. It was done at the run up to the Iraq War, when proponents quoted Ted Kennedy as saying:

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."

From that, you would get the impression that Kennedy's belief was that Hussein developed WMD.

That impression is reversed when you read his following sentence:

"Our intelligence community is also deeply concerned about the acquisition of such weapons by Iran, North Korea, Libya, Syria and other nations. But information from the intelligence community over the past six months does not point to Iraq as an imminent threat to the United States or a major proliferator of weapons of mass destruction."

Context matters, not just the sound-byte.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,427,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Then why does Obama spend so much time tearing us apart?
Together we stand, divided we fall. That's why.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
At what point did you stop owing? Was it at the point that you were wounded? Do others who were wounded also think they owe no more to fund their government? Who gets to decide, you? Do we all get to decide for ourselves when we no longer owe anything?

Good thing you never stopped paying taxes because if you did, they'd throw you in the pokey.
I owe taxes on taxable items. I owe taxes like well I was going to say anyone else, but that wouldn't be true. We all know about 50% of us dont have to pay any fed. They owe. Ipay my share I dont owe. Least of all I dont owe Obama, the Democrats or the Republicans a damn thing. I don't owe my local councilman, mayor or any other politicians.
Lastly I dont owe Obama a free pass for his latest of many gaffs where he actually let slip how he really feels. Just like he did when he called those who serve society's misfits, the outcasts who have no other choice.
Small town americans cling to their guns and religion.
We aint from Chicago so I guess we aint goodnuff for Obama.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 AM

812 posts, read 595,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
You may call it as you please, but Soviet Union was a state capitalist country since inception. Not only opposition considered it as such, but even Lenin himself - and that was before Stalin adopted extreme state capitalist course.

If you dig into Soviet economic system, you'll see clearly that it was capitalist - just a bit different from normal capitalism.

Thanks a lot, but keep your chocolate turn-coat yourself I don't believe in words - otherwise I'd praise Putin, who sounds better than Obama, despite being a conservative.
Actually I think I understand. It might well be said thatObummer is striving for a state capitalist country, wherein the stat retains the majority of any profits, if any ,and doles it out to the citizenry each according to his needs and proudly proclaims the credit for successes, disguises the failures, has an active press that generally concedes to the state. As I have stated before present day USA under the liberal media and demorat control closely resembles the 1970s soviet union. Our union leaders, public school academic leadership, liberal media a 50 percent taker sheeple template fairly well. What do you think?

As far as Obamas statement in question goes. If the people of America do not understand the man now they never will. It becomes a question of ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you country can do for me, buy me a refrigerator, I'll vote for that guy even if it means that guy will eventually ration electricity.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,970,760 times
You want to continue this. Okay. Using your example below, the impression is in fact not reversed, and your own example proves my point. I'm not sure how you are reading it, but what Kennedy is saying is that indeed Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction, but it's not a significant consequence to the US at that time. To say it a different way, Kennedy did not reverse his statement. He's explaining it further that the net effect of Hussein's efforts are a minimum threat to the US. How could that be taken out of context, and do you really read that as saying that Kennedy does not believe Hussein was seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction?

There's a distinct difference between a statement being taken out of context and leaving out the further explanation of a statement. Obama did not further explain his now controversial statement.

To clarify, look at Obama's statement in its entirety. The controversial statement is stuck in there in the middle, and then Obama goes back to discussing that we're all in this together, etc., and didn't support his statement, tie it into his prior or following comments, didn't further explain, as your example shows below, and there's just no further discussion about it. And that is his choice to do. But it also is his responsibility to bear, and he is having to bear it now.

If you are really serious about context and truth in advertising, go to Fact Check and look at all the ads the Obama campaign has put out that "twists," "overreaches," and "does not tell the whole story,"

As thinking, analyzing, voting people, we have to be intellectually honest with ourselves. I'm not saying you are not. We just see things completely differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Don't you think that context matters?

This out of context quotation is done all the time to mislead. It was done at the run up to the Iraq War, when proponents quoted Ted Kennedy as saying:

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."

From that, you would get the impression that Kennedy's belief was that Hussein developed WMD.

That impression is reversed when you read his following sentence:

"Our intelligence community is also deeply concerned about the acquisition of such weapons by Iran, North Korea, Libya, Syria and other nations. But information from the intelligence community over the past six months does not point to Iraq as an imminent threat to the United States or a major proliferator of weapons of mass destruction."

Context matters, not just the sound-byte.

Last edited by carolac; 07-22-2012 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am assuming then that these homes you built, were not connected to sewer lines or on a public road.
...and they were totally off the grid. In fact, there is no necessity for garbage collection because the trash just magically evaportes.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,800,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The workers those great men of independence hired didn't do anything for the company at all, huh? They contributed nothing. :roll eyes:

That attitude toward those who actually work to make you wealthy is the breeding ground of unions.
"Actually work". Right, comrade, there is no work other than manual labor and opening a business and then managing it is definetely not work.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:25 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...and they were totally off the grid. In fact, there is no necessity for garbage collection because the trash just magically evaportes.
What point are you trying to make?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Whoa who collects my garbage? That would be a private hauler who then takes it to gasp a privately owned landfill.
Oh thats right the state granted the permit. The state also makes a killing in tax revenues from that landfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies