Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,416,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This whole episode is damaging to Obama precisely because of his entire statement in context--not just the snippet. Imagine if the other candidate had said, "These people who think they are great teachers and they work so hard, well, let me tell you, there are a lot of hardworking people out there. These people are drawing decent paychecks and far better benefits than the average person, with more time off. The whole rest of society builds the schools, pays the utilities, buys the insurance, pays for the buses, and hires the maintenance staff. So those teachers that think they are so smart and are doing a great job, they didn't do that--somebody else did that. They need to give back."

What would the response be? Would a thousand people come out of the woodwork to defend the literal truth of the candidate's statement about who pays for the school? Very doubtful. More likely, it would be taken as a true sign of very questionable attitude toward very important people in our society--and that is what is exactly what is happening to Obama. Rightfully so. The hardest punch of the campaign was launched by Obama and landed on...Obama.
If that's what you got out of his statement I can't argue with you but that's simply not my take on it. I guess in the end, people hear what they want to hear.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,428,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If that's what you got out of his statement I can't argue with you but that's simply not my take on it. I guess in the end, people hear what they want to hear.
Natalay, did he or did he not take a direct shot at the very American story of the hard-working entrepreneur, the guy or gal who was smart enough to figure out a way to bring society a product or service that became successful?

That is one very clear message in the whole statement in context.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,055,458 times
Obama's welfare voters didn't show up today when I was standing a wall with Canadian lumber as we cant log anymore cause of the endangered flying pig. It was on a dirt road 2 houses away that stage coaches and wagons use to use in the 1800's .how are you helping me ! the Canadians are helping me you idiot. Your war on business and self employed Americans against the Gov dependent non contributors is exposed now fool. defend that obamabots

Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Natalay, did he or did he not take a direct shot at the very American story of the hard-working entrepreneur, the guy or gal who was smart enough to figure out a way to bring society a product or service that became successful?

That is one very clear message in the whole statement in context.
What I heard was no one succeeds alone.

When I was in college all the professionals they brought in said pretty much the same thing. They all preached networking and collaboration.

I don't think I've ever heard someone say "I'm here today because of me, myself and I"

How was that a shot?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 PM

29,917 posts, read 39,547,427 times
Quote:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,689,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What came first cars or roads?

Also business owners paid taxes that built those roads or does that not count? I'm guessing to Obama that doesn't count.

The point here is that EVERYONE paid taxes that built those roads and bridges!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,295,485 times
If I understand correctly, if you donate money to charity of your choosing, it's not as good as government donating your money to the charity of its choosing - minus a cut for their benevolent management. (And a subtle wink to the political power inherent in that disbursement)
Ditto, for public funded infrastructure versus private enterprise.

I could be wrong, but folks are finally waking up to the "tax and bribe" system we've lived under for over 78 years.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 PM

I still haven't figured out the outrage over this whole statement.

How does it take away from your success to say you had a great teacher?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,864,679 times
Yes, everyone paid to build the roads and the government performs services for the whole. What does that have to do with using the tools and advantages that everyone has at their disposal to build something yourself. If the government built something just for you personally, sure, I could see the argument. But since everyone has the same access, getting ahead does take more intelligence, people skills, diligence, ambition, risk, work ethic and even a little luck. That builds business, not government.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,064,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
The point here is that EVERYONE paid taxes that built those roads and bridges!
So why are business owners ridiculed and told they didn't do anything if they in fact built the very roads obama is crying about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies