Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please give me the name of your crystal ball dealer. I want one just like it!
who need a crystal ball

fact the stock market was at 1500 in the 80's
fact the stock market was at 14k in 2007
fact it dropped in 08/09
fact what goes down will come up. unless the whole kittenkaboodle calapses for ever

the stock market dropped down to 6k..anyone with a brain would know it was the time to ADD to the pot..if you normally invested a 5%..raise it up to 10% (etc)...now the stockmarket is back to 13k..which means even without increasing you have made back most of any losses....

btw..there are NO LOSSES until you cash it out...if you buy at $1..and it goes up to $100, then falls back to $50..you still have a 5000% increase in you initial investment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 02:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Nobody can say for sure what will happen in the future, the best we can do is make our best guess based on what we know and what has happened in the past. One can make a reasonable case that having part of your investment portfolio in the stock market is a solid strategy.

I'd love to get a peek at the books of all these people in forums who spend year after year predicting collapse of the dollar, stock market collapse and hyperinflation right around the corner. If they made personal finance decisions based on their own wisdom they would be far less successful in accumulating net worth, and should be the last to be offering any advice.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
who need a crystal ball

fact it dropped in 08/09
fact what goes down will come up. unless the whole kittenkaboodle calapses for ever

the stock market dropped down to 6k..anyone with a brain would know it was the time to ADD to the pot..if you normally invested a 5%..raise it up to 10% (etc)...now the stockmarket is back to 13k..which means even without increasing you have made back most of any losses....

btw..there are NO LOSSES until you cash it out...if you buy at $1..and it goes up to $100, then falls back to $50..you still have a 5000% increase in you initial investment
We aren't all in a position to invest at the exact right time!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
If you only had $100 to invest in 2008 when Pier One Imports was at .25 a share, today that $100 would be worth $6564. Not gonna make you rich, but for those claiming that it was nigh impossible to save up 30 grand, all they would have needed was $500 4 short years ago.

(For the record, I bought at .28 a share and sold at 13.50)

Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
who need a crystal ball

fact it dropped in 08/09

Yes, but there were those who had saved all their lives and were heavily in the market when it started downwards. They did not have all those years of accumulated money to invest to make up for it later.

It is best to be very conservative towards the end of your working life. People are in different situations.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, but there were those who had saved all their lives and were heavily in the market when it started downwards. They did not have all those years of accumulated money to invest to make up for it later.

It is best to be very conservative towards the end of your working life. People are in different situations.
If you are that close to retirement you should not be heavily invested in equities, not in this market.
Those that were were either greedy (need higher return) or lazy (can't be bothered rebalancing) or ignorant (oh, some brokerage firm named Lehman closed).

While they might have "worked hard" they left their money on auto-pilot and bought into the mantra that everything just goes up and up and up and never down.

If you have any money invested on Wall Street then you have to pay attention to what goes on around you and around the world.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
If you only had $100 to invest in 2008 when Pier One Imports was at .25 a share, today that $100 would be worth $6564. Not gonna make you rich, but for those claiming that it was nigh impossible to save up 30 grand, all they would have needed was $500 4 short years ago.

(For the record, I bought at .28 a share and sold at 13.50)
Yes. It would have been nice to have been psychic then and known that Pier One Imports would hang in there and do so well. I'm sure that a lot of businesses that others felt just as strongly about have failed since then.

I know people in a very specialized technical field and even they cannot pick winners that well. You are a very lucky fellow. Was it not Freud who said we most often make decisions on some sort of intuition and then our conscious mind will rationalize concrete reasons for the decision?

Generally, those who pick winners also pick losers but ignore the latter in conversations like ours.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times
Quote:
This comment perfectly reflects the widespread but incorrect belief that you need to be able to 'time' the markets in order to use them to your advantage. The way of thinking revealed by the statement could not be more wrong.

Quote:
I know people in a very specialized technical field and even they cannot pick winners that well. You are a very lucky fellow. Was it not Freud who said we most often make decisions on some sort of intuition and then our conscious mind will rationalize concrete reasons for the decision?

Generally, those who pick winners also pick losers but ignore the latter in conversations like ours.
You cannot 'time' the stock market, but you do not need to and you shouldn't even try to.

Contribution, Allocation, Diversification, and Re-balancing - that's about all you need to know.

Last edited by tyanger; 08-01-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Yes. It would have been nice to have been psychic then and known that Pier One Imports would hang in there and do so well. I'm sure that a lot of businesses that others felt just as strongly about have failed since then.

Au contrair. Even when I pick a "loser", I'm savvy enough to turn it into a profit (either via covered calls, spreads, averaging down, etc.).

And I'm in a very specialized technical field, and you know where I make most of my money? Tech stocks. I almost have to *try* to lose money picking those. Stick with what you know, they always say.

Again, those who attribute success to mere luck are those who are most looking for an excuse as to why they don't attain success. Luck has very little to do with anything. Luck is just something made up by people to rationalize their own failures. According to you, I was "lucky" when I rode the dot-com boom all the way up, "lucky" that I got out just before it crashed, "lucky" that I rode it back up after that recession, "lucky" that I shorted the market near the top before the last recession, "lucky" that I got in just before I started to rise again, and continue to be "lucky" in how I evaluate the market even in these turbulent times.

I must have a whole bevvy of rabbit's feet I sleep on, according to you. Sorry mate, but luck has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^Don't break your neck falling off your high horse. A friend of mine who is childess was talking to her brother, who has two kids who at the time were both in college about some great investment she had discovered. When he said he wasn't interested, she asked him what he was investing his money in. His answer: "tuition".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies