Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Um...but they both got government help, right? So, how did either the olympic athlete or the businessman make it entirely on their own?
They didn't. Jesus Christ didn't make it on his own, either.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
They didn't. Jesus Christ didn't make it on his own, either.

So, both Obama and Romney were correct in their comments, right?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
To be fair.
Olympians tend to have sponsors, they tend to have universities who gave them scholarships based on athletic ability. They tend to get more slack than average students who pay their own way through school etc. So no they didn't do it alone.
Conversly
Obama and company never put a dime into my retirement. The state never put a dime into my retirement.
My taxes pay my fair share for roads and infra structure. So no I dont owe the nanny a damned thing.
My husband and I are small business owners. We're a long way from rich--more in that really comfortable middle class bracket--and we pay a lot more in taxes each year than most families make. That said, the taxes we pay for the businesses and on our personal income couldn't come close to covering the local fire department, police department, roads, bridges, schools etc. that we rely on to make our businesses viable. The tax payers ARE the government, but we join together to do the work and we DONT do it alone. That was the point that Romney made, and that was the point that Obama made. If we're thanking the government, we're thanking each other.

The unbelievably stupid part is that Romney would run an attack ad on Obama for saying it, and then say the exact same thing in less than a week. He's an idiot.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I can also guarantee Romney was interested in the 2002 games only because he is a Mormon, and the money was going to a Mormon city.
Please tell us how you can guarantee Romney wasn't interested in the 2002 games. It's amazing how someone such as yourself has so much knowledge of Romey's thought process.
You do know he worked for them for three years for FREE..! He took no money, so he certainly does look very selfish. If his only reason for doing the job was for his church, wouldn't he have been wiser to take a super fat salary and donate it to the church... Me thinks a little fizzy thinking on your part..
No need to than me for correcting all of your misspelled words. I did it for me, I hate to see ignorance displayed.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My husband and I are small business owners. We're a long way from rich--more in that really comfortable middle class bracket--and we pay a lot more in taxes each year than most families make. That said, the taxes we pay for the businesses and on our personal income couldn't come close to covering the local fire department, police department, roads, bridges, schools etc. that we rely on to make our businesses viable. The tax payers ARE the government, but we join together to do the work and we DONT do it alone. That was the point that Romney made, and that was the point that Obama made. If we're thanking the government, we're thanking each other.
Like I said in both cases the point of the speech was obvious, but Romney was too quick to twist Obama's speech around to mean something it didn't mean knowing (he should have remembered) that he had made the same speech not too long ago. Yes, all of us can thank our parents, communities and teachers for playing a part of our stories, and NO, it does not make anyone an evil communist for admitting someone else played a part. You'd have to have a severe case of narcissistic personality disorder to think no one else played any part in your success.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,629 times
Quote:
You could only wish I was a democrat. I hate to tell you this, but taking a dig at me vs. making an intelligent comment on the issue itself (perhaps because you can't) doesn't make you look like the sharpest tool in the shed either.
The truth shall set you free...! Try it sometime...

Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Please tell us how you can guarantee Romney wasn't interested in the 2002 games.

No need to than me for correcting all of your misspelled words. I did it for me, I hate to see ignorance displayed.
Where did I say he was not interested in the 2002 games?

Check the dictionary and learn how to spell 'thank'. Talk about irony....

Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Um...but they both got government help, right? So, how did either the olympic athlete or the businessman make it entirely on their own?
No, they both did not get government help.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,953 times
Quote:

The unbelievably stupid part is that Romney would run an attack ad on Obama for saying it, and then say the exact same thing in less than a week. He's an idiot.
Actually, he didn't say the exact same thing... and it was in 2002 that he said it, 10 years ago!!!!. Not "less than a week" later. Reading the article MIGHT help you, but doubt it.

You are right, the tax payers ARE the government. We've paid for the roads and schools and fire department. No one is disputing that all those things are neccessary for EVERYONE, but just because we have a business does not mean we are MORE RESPONSIBLE for those things than someone else. We've paid for them already! The point that Romney made is that the athletes didn't make it on their own, because they didn't. They didn't pay for a single solitary thing. Everything they have from food and clothing to the venues was paid for by someone else so that they could focus solely on playing a sport. And it wasn't said as the President said it "you think you're so smart, other people are smart too." "You didn't build that, someone else made that happen". He said let's thank those people who helped you get to where you are, all the people who PAID FOR EVERYTHING! Sheesh!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The ignorance of the left on parade for all to see.
Yep anything to try and deflect the nonsense spewed from their dear leader in one of his off prompter moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies