Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I don't buy hot dogs off the street. I usually carry a few dollars for a bus fare/vending machine. I'm sure you wouldn't want to trust strangers all day every day with telling you whether that's a $1 or a $20 bill. I get around just fine with a credit card and less than $5 in cash at all times (less than $5 doesn't require me to trust anyone). That said, not everyone can get a credit card, because they have bad credit. Those people are always down one option. I honestly have never met someone who actually writes checks at a store...but if people still do that, great. There's also a difference between having a few bucks to buy a hot dog and having $150 on hand to buy all your groceries and other household supplies. Being forced pay with cash at Walmart is a completely different ballgame to having to find $2 for a soda from a street vendor.
No it's not a different ballgame. You have never met anyone who writes a check at a store? Well it is still acceptable as payment.

So you don't buy hot dogs off the street so you don't' care that others have to go find cash to pay for it or would you only care if a handicap person had to do that? Then of course they could file a class action suit against all the hot dog vendors in the city who didn't provide said atm machine to install atm machines so the wouldn't have to show up to purchase said hot dog with cash. That to you is reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Hahahahaha.........permanent disabling injuries that required a wheelchair twice and crutches a few times. Oh my heart bleeds for you
I am glad your heart is bleeding, mine requires constant meds for superventricular tachycardia.

My injuries require at least 60 mg of ms-contin, (Slow release morphine), daily, and sometimes also require vicodin on bad days to supplement the morphine. I can only walk SHORT distances. I do not use a cane, or crutches all the time, because I prefer not to, though I have been advised i should use something to assist me maintaining my balance, so I don't fall again, because my ankles and knees are so messed up. Sooner or later, I will be in a wheelchair full time, I COULD have been there a long time ago, but I am fighting it, because I would prefer to walk, even if it means dealing with some extra pain.

I rotated my right foot almost 180 degrees so the bottom of the foot was almost facing straight up, so yes, I was on crutches for that, and both of the surgeries to attempt to reconstruct the ankle., and on crutches almost every time it caused me to fall and break something else. Luckily, my most recent injury didn't require crutches, I fell and broke my right hand in 2 places, (and I am right handed), and had to have surgical pins inserted so the joint could heal properly, but now my right hand along with my other injuries, to my other ankles and both knees, will never work properly again. I awaken in pain several times every night, and haven't slept more that 3 hours straight in over 2 decades. I have had to roll out of bed, and crawl to the bathroom, and pull myself up, because my ankles/knees were hurting so bad, and I could not take the meds and wait for them to lessen the pain before I went. I CHOOSE not to let the pain make ALL my decisions for me, but I know my time is becoming more and more limited, and sooner, rather than later, the doctors are going to tell me that I should start using a wheelchair for everything but the most LIMITED of movement.

I can no longer go to the beach, because i cannot walk in the sand, no more dancing, bowling, running or playing sports, ever since my initial injury back in the 80's. All the things I loved doing, ripped away because of an injury. Everything I do, I have to plan around the problems with my knees and ankles.

Just because I chose not to tell you all this previously, doesn't mean you have the right to denigrate me, because it "appeared" not to be anything bad. I deal with pain, and reduced mobility and all the other problems they cause, day in and day out, so I KNOW what it's like, more so than MANY people here in this forum whining about the credit card machine.

BTW, you do NOT need a pin number to withdraw an extra $20.00 in cash when you use your check card as a credit card, and ask for some money back, I know I have done so on several occasions.

Heart still bleeding? Want some salt water? I did some counting. If I am right, I have been in a wheelchair a total time of 3 months, and on crutches at least 54 times for periods of 3 weeks to 2 months at a time over the past 25 years. My right foot has been broken at least 5 times, my left foot 7, my right knee had the acl torn during a fall, which required surgery, very painful I may add, since to repair the ACL, they had to split my kneecap, and then immobilize the leg for quite some time. The left knee has seen permanent damage to the cartilage. A few dozen ankle sprains, some torn muscles, and bruised hips. Most of the other falls, involved minor scrapes, bruises, cuts, a few stitches here and there, and 1 confirmed concussion and 3 probable concussions. (The bruising all over my face was spectacular from the fall down the stairs into the front of my Durango, even I was impressed).

Just because someone chooses not to explain all the above, is not any reason to get nasty, and make the comment you did. I don't let these issues RULE my life. They force me to work around them, but at least I am still a working person who contributes to society, and not a burden. I don't let my problems force me to ask YOU to accommodate ME.

Last edited by Darkatt; 07-27-2012 at 06:01 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No it's not a different ballgame. You have never met anyone who writes a check at a store? Well it is still acceptable as payment.

So you don't buy hot dogs off the street so you don't' care that others have to go find cash to pay for it or would you only care if a handicap person had to do that? Then of course they could file a class action suit against all the hot dog vendors in the city who didn't provide said atm machine to install atm machines so the wouldn't have to show up to purchase said hot dog with cash. That to you is reasonable?
No, I was only explaining that I don't do that personally, so I don't know anything about it. But if other people with disabilities want to buy a hot dog off the street, they should go ahead. I can't imagine those stands being very accessible either though. We're not talking about whether having ATM machines at every street vendor is reasonable. We're talking about self-checkouts. And yes, I think that having one wheelchair-accessible self-checkout machine in every store that has a cluster of them for their customers is reasonable.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Yes, they volunteered. That doesn't mean they get to come back and take out their revenge upon us.
I am one of those disabled vets. Where do you get any notion that anyone is "[taking] out their revenge on [you]?" As I have explained in this thread, I work voluntarily with other disabled -- frequently veterans. I have yet to meet any disabled "[taking] out [any] revenge on [anybody]".
Quote:
If it came to that, I'd just write a check or use a credit card and sign for it. This is about deep pockets and frivolous lawsuits.
Again, it is not for you to decide what is "frivolous" ... that is precisely what the legal and court systems are for. If a challenge is without merit, the courts are exactly where that will be determined. That is the very function of the legal and court system. It is why we do not allow mob and vigilante justice. The underlying issues of cases are often of deep significance to the very laws and Constitution we veterans volunteered to defend.

You individuals are NOT Constitutional scholars and or Constitutional lawyers.
Many of you here have made comments to the effect that the disabled should accept and live with their disabilities.
Well you should take your own advice and live with your Constitution and laws and legal system. It is not perfect, but frankly it is brilliantly the best mankind has come up with.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
ADA lawsuits are low hanging fruit for scumbag lawyers.
They like to find a place of business without an elevator to the second floor, and sue them out of business - it's great fun and financially rewarding for these scumbags.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am glad your heart is bleeding, mine requires constant meds for superventricular tachycardia.

My injuries require at least 60 mg of ms-contin, (Slow release morphine), daily, and sometimes also require vicodin on bad days to supplement the morphine. I can only walk SHORT distances. I do not use a cane, or crutches all the time, because I prefer not to, though I have been advised i should use something to assist me maintaining my balance, so I don't fall again, because my ankles and knees are so messed up. Sooner or later, I will be in a wheelchair full time, I COULD have been there a long time ago, but I am fighting it, because I would prefer to walk, even if it means dealing with some extra pain.

I rotated my right foot almost 180 degrees so the bottom of the foot was almost facing straight up, so yes, I was on crutches for that, and both of the surgeries to attempt to reconstruct the ankle., and on crutches almost every time it caused me to fall and break something else. Luckily, my most recent injury didn't require crutches, I fell and broke my right hand in 2 places, (and I am right handed), and had to have surgical pins inserted so the joint could heal properly, but now my right hand along with my other injuries, to my other ankles and both knees, will never work properly again. I awaken in pain several times every night, and haven't slept more that 3 hours straight in over 2 decades. I have had to roll out of bed, and crawl to the bathroom, and pull myself up, because my ankles/knees were hurting so bad, and I could not take the meds and wait for them to lessen the pain before I went. I CHOOSE not to let the pain make ALL my decisions for me, but I know my time is becoming more and more limited, and sooner, rather than later, the doctors are going to tell me that I should start using a wheelchair for everything but the most LIMITED of movement.

I can no longer go to the beach, because i cannot walk in the sand, no more dancing, bowling, running or playing sports, ever since my initial injury back in the 80's. All the things I loved doing, ripped away because of an injury. Everything I do, I have to plan around the problems with my knees and ankles.

Just because I chose not to tell you all this previously, doesn't mean you have the right to denigrate me, because it "appeared" not to be anything bad. I deal with pain, and reduced mobility and all the other problems they cause, day in and day out, so I KNOW what it's like, more so than MANY people here in this forum whining about the credit card machine.

BTW, you do NOT need a pin number to withdraw an extra $20.00 in cash when you use your check card as a credit card, and ask for some money back, I know I have done so on several occasions.

Heart still bleeding? Want some salt water? I did some counting. If I am right, I have been in a wheelchair a total time of 3 months, and on crutches at least 54 times for periods of 3 weeks to 2 months at a time over the past 25 years. My right foot has been broken at least 5 times, my left foot 7, my right knee had the acl torn during a fall, which required surgery, very painful I may add, since to repair the ACL, they had to split my kneecap, and then immobilize the leg for quite some time. The left knee has seen permanent damage to the cartilage. A few dozen ankle sprains, some torn muscles, and bruised hips. Most of the other falls, involved minor scrapes, bruises, cuts, a few stitches here and there, and 1 confirmed concussion and 3 probable concussions. (The bruising all over my face was spectacular from the fall down the stairs into the front of my Durango, even I was impressed).

Just because someone chooses not to explain all the above, is not any reason to get nasty, and make the comment you did. I don't let these issues RULE my life. They force me to work around them, but at least I am still a working person who contributes to society, and not a burden. I don't let my problems force me to ask YOU to accommodate ME.
So that's how you deal with your disability. Other people deal with their disabilities differently. I know people who have been in a wheelchair since as early as 3 years old, and for their whole lives after that. And yes, a lot of those people would like an accessible checkout. I'm not debating whether you're disabled or not, and don't think you need to prove to anyone you're disabled by listing your meds on an online forum. That said, three months in a chair, compared to people who've spent their whole lives in a chair, isn't a very long time to spend in a chair. I do think that you seem to lack perspective in terms of wheelchair-accessibility based on your opinion and the fact you've spent most of your time with crutches rather than in a chair.

Here's a question for you: when you were in a chair, could you stand up out of it if you needed to? Could you transfer yourself from your chair to a toilet, or bed? I know people who can't even wipe their own butt. They are in a very different situation and need the wheelchair-accessible checkout far more than someone who needs the chair cause they can't walk long distances, but can stand up out of it if push comes to shove. My intention isn't to seem rude, but I just want to point out it's a different experience. We just had that issue on campus, for example. The student who was placed as a consult for wheelchair accessibility was able to stand up out of her chair and as a result, missed a lot of accessibility issues that are specific to wheelchair users who can't get out of their chair. Some buttons, for example, were too high for other chair users to reach even though she could reach them. So with no criticism intended to you, just because you have been in a wheelchair and don't find something inaccessible, doesn't mean that's the case for all wheelchair users. There's a huge variety and range of disabling conditions that require someone to use a wheelchair, from having weak muscles or arthritic joints to being fully quadriplegic with a ventilator and stomach tube. All of those conditions entail different abilities and disabilities and some of those chair users may need the lower self-checkout more than you do.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Tis you that seems to be embaressed to ask for assistance, we would be more than happy to help you accomplish your task. Seems to me, most of the truly disabled that we are talking about in wheelchairs, have someone with them. They generally need some assistance to fold the chair and put it in the vehicle, yes? If not, you could be denying someone a job that would benefit both of you.
Thank you for your concern and willingness to be helpful ... understand, please, that the greatest gift of help you can give a disabled person is: the dignity of independence -- through *accessibility*.
Quote:
We don't all like ramps or require an extra-large bathroom. What about midgets, don't know the pc word for them. Just because you are handicapped, doesn't mean you get to design all our houses for us as a collective thing. Get over it, we are all different and everybody can't demand accomadation. Accept your challange and get on the best you can. Every lawsuit of this type just gets passed on to us consumers, so it's almost like you are seeking revenge upon society for your ills.
Get over it yourself. No one is "designing all [your] houses for [you]". what we are doing is creating a reasonably equal society in as many ways as possible. Accept your challenge of that principle and get on with a life of dignity for all.
Quote:
No it's not, it's about Walmart not surrendering to the pressure of unions.
What do unions have to do with handicap accommodation?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Provide reasonable accomodation does not mean a disabled person should be accomodated to the point that they can do every single thing the nondisabled can do.
By choice, I sometimes shop at Aldi''s which does not take credit cards. which is my usual payment method of choice.
So I make sure I have cash.
If ATM's are available in a store, it is a reasonable accomodation since the person can withdraw enough cash to pay for their groceries.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
They like to find a place of business without an elevator to the second floor, and sue them out of business - it's great fun and financially rewarding for these scumbags.
No. It's not fun. Nor financially rewarding. And the only scumbags here are a handful of shallow and ignorant non-disabled posters. Try reading the thread and getting an education on a topic before you shoot off your mouth.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Tis you that seems to be embaressed to ask for assistance, we would be more than happy to help you accomplish your task. Seems to me, most of the truly disabled that we are talking about in wheelchairs, have someone with them. They generally need some assistance to fold the chair and put it in the vehicle, yes? If not, you could be denying someone a job that would benefit both of you.
The vast majority of wheelchair users I know personally go out on their own all the time. Three of them (two of them really close friends of mine so we spend a lot of time together) use a power chair so there's no needing to fold their chair. The two manual chair users I know generally don't fold their chairs. They don't need assistance if things are accessible in the simplest of ways, such as having a lowered checkout counter, and having ramps, wheelchair lifts, and elevators wherever there are steps. One of the power chair users I know drives, and in order to drive, he just has to drive his wheelchair into his van, and he's able to transfer himself from power chair to driver's seat. I should mention that all the people I am thinking of are also deaf or also mute and they still manage to get around on their own just fine. Something like a lowered checkout so they can live more freely is not a lot to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies