Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My job is my passion. Same with most of my friends. We are excited about what we do and love to talk and hear about each others jobs.

It is sad that you consider your job sad and boring.
Talking about a job as it is my only passion in life..is sad and boring.

What if you met someone (possible friend) on a totally different track in life? Perhaps unemployed or in a field totally unrelated to yours. What would you discuss after figuring out that work is not on a common ground?

I tend to discuss: hobbies, books, music, movies, bikes, hikes, kids, family...almost anything else before I discuss work. I am happy to say that I have friends that I have NO IDEA what they do... and it doesn't bother me.

IMO discussing a job with a new acquaintance is nothing but a filter.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Do you think such secrecy has cost you friendships?

Maybe if you feel you cannot be honest about what you do for a living, maybe you need to do something else?
Actually, no, I don't think it has cost me any friendships. I tend to not disclose what I do for a living because nine out of ten times it triggers envy or some ill-guided hope that "knowing" me will somehow come with monetary or intangible benefits. In other words, knowing "what I do for a living" biases how people interact with me. Sorry, I much prefer to get to know real people and not those who simply want to be your "friend" to benefit.

You see, I am secretive about my job not because it is illegal, immoral, or somehow something you would not be proud of. I am secretive to protect myself and my family from false friends.

I understand that it may be difficult to comprehend, but not everybody has to slave away at a 9 to 5. I have been very fortunate in my life but with that fortune has also come the early realization that people just LOVE to take advantage of a situation and that many are willing to say and do just about anything in order to get on your "good" side - and that includes sex (I am happily married with children). I really don't need or want any of that.

Consequently, I chose my friends very, very carefully - they are either in similar circumstances, knew me before I became who and what I am, have no reason to want to benefit, or they decided that they really liked me long before knowing anything about my "job."

I assure you that just about everybody in my situation does the same - for the very same reason.

Last edited by vamos; 08-03-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I have met some so called professionals that were nincompoops. I look at the person not the profession.

One lawyer I know became a warlock.. a male witch.. some of these so called highly educated people are off the wall .

Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Oh, brother. I'll bet you say it in such a way that they are left thinking......CIA....

The astronaut versus whatever else is what hooked me......
For a while, I also decided to "work" as a dog walker when I lived and worked in NYC. I did so because I was going to the park with my own dog anyway, because I love dogs, and because I figured some poor dog that's usually locked up in an apartment will get a nice few hours out and about. Thus, I "signed up" with a large dog walking company whose owner actually knew me personally.

"Being" a dog-walker put me on a lower social rung than a doorman. It was amazing and a stunning contrast to my real life and the real job that I'd pursue a few hours later. Very educational, too.

You know, I actually really wish I would not have to pretend anything, but that is simply not a reality in my life. Thus, for the time being, I have fun with such inquiries.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
For a while, I also decided to "work" as a dog walker when I lived and worked in NYC. I did so because I was going to the park with my own dog anyway, because I love dogs, and because I figured some poor dog that's usually locked up in an apartment will get a nice few hours out and about. Thus, I "signed up" with a large dog walking company whose owner actually knew me personally.

"Being" a dog-walker put me on a lower social rung than a doorman. It was amazing and a stunning contrast to my real life and the real job that I'd pursue a few hours later. Very educational, too.

You know, I actually really wish I would not have to pretend anything, but that is simply not a reality in my life. Thus, for the time being, I have fun with such inquiries.
I live in the rural south so professional dog walkers are something you dont see except on TV. Its looks pretty interesting and fun to me. At one time I had 3 rotts and a mutt that I walked at the same time and found it quite challenging. So how many dogs could you walk at one time. I assume in NYC you have to clean up after your dogs. Was that difficult to do while handling multiple dogs. Did you ever get the leashes tangled. Did any of the dogs ever get in a fight or bite anyone or did you ever lose one? Do you have a favorite breed.

Now see that wasnt so bad. Or am I being rude. . In the south its cosidered friendly.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You remind me of a "Mad about You" episode: Jamie and Paul take his parents' cruise tickets and
while on the ship, pretend they are other people, telling cruisers different stories about what they
do for a living: Paul's an astronaut, a diplomat, rodeo clown, to inventing Velcro
Finally, when confronted, Jamie tells the Cruise Director that Paul is "crazy".

Enjoy I found it hilarious....

Mad About You - Two Tickets to Paradise [short] - YouTube

"I'm getting a little tired of being everybody else" - Paul Buchman

Last edited by pollyrobin; 08-03-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 PM

442 posts, read 615,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I agree. It is an obvious and shallow way to size a person up. It's like asking a potential romantic partner the same thing to get an idea of how much money they make so you can decide to stick with them or move on to someone else.

But I have to agree, it is a very bad question and will try to purge it from my conversation.
So your job should be a secret from a potential romantic partner...that is a little silly.

I'm married. However, I've spent a good part of my life working nontraditional hours. That might mean I have to work at 10 pm on a Saturday night....and no you can't call me a hundred times to check up on me(to see if I am really at work). You'd be surprised how many people have a huge problem with someone who doesn't work a normal schedule. Best to get that little obstacle out of the way to start with.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Talking about a job as it is my only passion in life..is sad and boring.
And this is why semantics do occasionally matter, I did not say it was my only passion, did I?

Quote:
What if you met someone (possible friend) on a totally different track in life? Perhaps unemployed or in a field totally unrelated to yours. What would you discuss after figuring out that work is not on a common ground?
I have no idea, all my friends are employed, in very similar fields. But to make talking about the things that you care about, off topic just because some one is unemployed is ridiculous. One of my friends has no children, she is still tolerant if one of the rest of us tell a story involving our children.

Quote:
I tend to discuss: hobbies, books, music, movies, bikes, hikes, kids, family...almost anything else before I discuss work. I am happy to say that I have friends that I have NO IDEA what they do... and it doesn't bother me.
Wow, what a shame that whatever it is you do, isn't something you find interesting enough to rank at least as high as a hobby. Anyway, I go hiking, biking, surfing, etc with my friends, we do not really need to talk about it. But that isn't really the point.

Friends talk about the things that matter to them. It is RUDE to have topic taboo just because one person is bored by it. Makes you a not very good friend, if you cannot listen when your friends want to discuss their jobs because you find it "sad and boring". Actually, it is beyond sad, to shallow.

Quote:
IMO discussing a job with a new acquaintance is nothing but a filter.
So which is it? Acquaintance or friend? Or maybe to you both conversations are exactly the same. They are not for me. My friends and I discuss much more things, including our jobs. When making an acquaintance, asking what someone does, is a chance to find common ground.

Anyway, to be very honest, based on what you have said here, I don't think anyone is missing out on your friendship if you find them sad and boring if they want to discuss work.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I have met some so called professionals that were nincompoops. I look at the person not the profession.

One lawyer I know became a warlock.. a male witch.. some of these so called highly educated people are off the wall .
So what?

People are people regardless of their profession. That doesn't make it rude to make conversation by asking someone what they do.

People in this thread are confusing making conversation with making snap judgements. They are not the same thing.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Not rude at all. I might be offended if somebody who just met me said "what was the last book you read". That's a lot more personal than asking "what business are you in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies