Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 3,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. People are trying to show an interest in you by asking what you do for a living. Is this any more intrusive than asking you what book you last read, or what movie you last saw? If that is the only question you can ask in order to start a conversation, perhaps your conversation should have ended a long time ago. 2. Who wants to talk about their reading habits or movie preferences with complete strangers anyway? Most of them do not care about your long term goals. Maybe you should not attened the party.
1. I never said I start conversations with questions about what book or movie someone last saw. 2. If people don't care about my long term goals, then why are they asking me about my job title and goals?? You say they ask me what I do to show interest in me, yet you claim they don't care about my long term goals. This doesn't make sense.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You need to be able to comprehend sarcasm.

Obvious some of the French actually work. Ergo, it has to be sarcastic or snide humor.

Pardon me while I notice that everywhere the French are, they're universally a pain to deal with.
I'm sure they feel the same way about you.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
[quote=RedneksRdum;32471485]I don't really find that offensive to be honest, but IMHO, people have gotten a bit more nosy if you will, since I was young anyway. Asking people how much they make, how much they paid for this or that, etc.

But about my occupation? That is not too intrusive I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Only because once they glean your occupation they've automatically put you in their pidgeon-hole regarding both your success and social standing. You know, that phony class thingy America overthrew the Brits to supposedly rid themselves of?

They're not the least bit interested in your personal welfare; they're asking to assign you a value either lower or higher than themselves. It's all about their comfort zone, NOT yours..

Telling them you're simply a machinist but neglecting to mention you own your own jobbing shop and employ 40 people, leads to all sorts of negative reaction until they see you leave the evening dinner and climb into your late model Porche, THEN they'll immediately come over to attempt to perform a re-set function. Too late, that trains already left the station.

I've had much more stimulating conversation with people who make no attempt to garner personal info of any kind from me. There is no legitimacy to being interested in a person and immediately asking them what they do for a living; none whatsoever!

Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal103020 View Post
1. I never said I start conversations with questions about what book or movie someone last saw. 2. If people don't care about my long term goals, then why are they asking me about my job title and goals?? You say they ask me what I do to show interest in me, yet you claim they don't care about my long term goals. This doesn't make sense.
The OP said she "heard" that the French initiate conversations by asking a person what book they've most recently read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneksRdum View Post
I don't really find that offensive to be honest, but IMHO, people have gotten a bit more nosy if you will, since I was young anyway. Asking people how much they make, how much they paid for this or that, etc.

But about my occupation? That is not too intrusive I suppose.
No one is advocating asking a total stranger what they make or how much they paid for something.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
1. People are trying to show an interest in you by asking what you do for a living. Is this any more intrusive than asking you what book you last read, or what movie you last saw?
Might on some contexts, it could sound like you're being asked "how succesful you are".

Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I've never been asked this and don't know why it would be a big deal if someone did ask me this

Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Might on some contexts, it could sound like you're being asked "how succesful you are".
And if you're asked what book you last read and you answer "Murder She Wrote", you're judged as being an airhead. Judging is universal.

One can always say, "I work in (IT, health care, etc)".

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That is exactly the kind of context I am talking about. You would think that if they were genuinely interested in me, then they wouldn't have to ask what I do for a living.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think that at your bf's Christmas party anyone will be really interested in your long term goals. They may be interested to learn you're a college student.

Quote:
That is exactly the kind of context I am talking about. You would think that if they were genuinely interested in me, then they wouldn't have to ask what I do for a living.
Right, because who would care what kind of work someone you are interested in is doing? I mean, how uninteresting!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I don't think that at your bf's Christmas party anyone will be really interested in your long term goals. They may be interested to learn you're a college student.

Right, because who would care what kind of work someone you are interested in is doing? I mean, how uninteresting!

Actually that is exactly my point. I don't think that people should be measured up by their job titles. When near-strangers ask you what you do for a living and what your goals are after college, it suggests that that is the way they are measuring just how interesting you are to them. But in my opinion there's more to life and who you are besides your line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies