Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But not their parents and grandparents.

Most immigrants didn't have to live in the inner cities in cities like New Orleans or Detroit. They also don't have to grow up on remote reservations.

In fact -- there are really three groups in the USA. The group that was already here -- American Indians, and the group brought over as slaves, and the immigrant groups from various places who always lived as free men.

The two groups that have it the worst are the American Indians and the slaves and their descendents. Maybe being an immigrant -- white or black or brown or whatever is what gives one the advantage?

Simply they were allowed to keep their culture as well as religion and language. Some people on this forum take these things for granted but it is a very important part of growth and self identity. This is why the first thing that the slavers did was strip the Africans of their original names as well as their culture, religion and language.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If Asians behaved the way the chronically poor blacks behaved, they would be losers too. It's not about skin colour, it's about morals and a quality work ethic. And as long as adult blacks are bitter about their slave history, they are going to pass on that same bitterness to their children. And it's that entitlement attitude where blacks feel that reparations are owed to them by whites that makes blacks want to take advantage of every government handout and slack at work in some misguided effort to get back at "the man". Well while they are scrounging for every freebie crumb that they can find, everyone else is passing them by in terms of real academic achievement and career tracks. Their need for immediate gratification costs them having significant long term goals. They would eat a donut right away instead of owning their own bakery in a decade or two.

Anyway, right now, the chronically poor in the black community are their own worst enemy. It's time they broke the cycle of feeling that whitey still owes them because of the slavery. Move on, and only look forward. And the men folk need to start marrying the mothers of their children. And the black women have to stop having children before they are married to their man. Clearly children are NOT magic relationship glue. Just look around at all the other black baby mommas.

How about the blacks having been in this country since it's conception and were never treated as an equal got fed up and fought for their rights and every other group includijng white women rode in on the coat tails of equal rights for all and the powers to be attacked the blacks for complaining about being treated unfairly?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Asians aren't told that they can't wear their hair in afros,that its unacceptable to have nappy hair,so the problem with most employers I believe its is the "physical look" of blacks. Its not just clothing,attitude,etc. Come on and tell the whole story.
I know black men with Mba's who can't get hired or have a tough time because they have dreadlocks in their hair.
Did you also know that dark skinned blacks have higher employment rates than light skinned blacks?
Of course not, they are too busy caught up in the media hype on how bad being black is. How often do you seen positive images of blacks, even in cities with a 20% black population? It is not by happenstance it is planned and you can see the results just by reading some of the post some people are writing.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Weak counterargument.

No race or ethinic group is 100% anything. But some ethnic groups lead all others in bad categories while others lead all others in good categories.

That is pure fact.
That would depend on media coverage would'nt it?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I forgot to mention this,and this is big.
No one has touched on it.

Most Asians aren't Christian. I don't really know if that has anything to do with it,but I suppose it does play a big role. The belief,or lack there of ,an afterlife means that one is going to make the most of this life,as opposed to waiting for good things in an afterlife.
I would go so far and say most are atheist.
Good point, If you look at the religions that do not emphasize in the rewards of the afterlife (Judaism for example) do very well in the here and now.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I always had a hunch that threads about Asian-Americans are really nothing more than cleverly-veiled attempts to denigrate blacks. And my hunch is usually validated within the first 2 pages of the thread. This thread appears to be no exception.

Well unfortunately looks like you were right, it has become just that.

Although it took a few pages to become completely so.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
But wouldn't you agree that it's the fault of those people who choose to accept being labeled as victims and accept the handouts. I find it hilarious that certain black people talk about how they are still victims and this and that, well it didn't stop W.E.B. DuBois or Frederick Douglas from getting an education and improving their lives during the pre-Civil Rights era so if they can do it, why can't you?
Why do you paint all blacks with a single stroke? There are many in my family that have degrees and businesses and there are some who are absolutely useless just like there are in white families, it is just that the media highlights the black useless people and very very does that to other groups.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What "overt" racism?

I'd bet a black person who magically appeared in 2012 America from 1923 Alabama would laugh at your idea of "overt" racism.
Because what they went through and what the blacks of today go through there is no comparision, but neverless it still exist. Like I mentioned before the black with the most powerful position in the world still has to deal with racism. can you point out what other group of people that this still happens to?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:56 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Good point, If you look at the religions that do not emphasize in the rewards of the afterlife (Judaism for example) do very well in the here and now.
I remember reading about slavery and that the Christian preachers during that time would emphasize obedience so the y could live an afterlife in heaven to justify the harsh life the slaves were enduring.
I think that's still true to some degree,and that's why a large number of blacks are super religious Christians.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Also,I keep hearing how Asians share American values.
That can't be true,as I thought Christianity was a main component of American values?
(Most Asians are Hindu,Atheist,and buddhist.

Something isn't clicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies