Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It has already been cited upthread:
There is NO indication whatsoever that Columbia admits U.S. citizens as foreign students. Foreign students require student visas to attend Columbia. U.S. citizens do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There is NO indication whatsoever that Columbia admits U.S. citizens as foreign students. Foreign students require student visas to attend Columbia. U.S. citizens do not.
Your inability to read and comprehend simple English is noted.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
It's a different world for college grads now. Employers verify job candidates' courses, GPAs, etc. Many will not even bother with anyone below a 3.00. Even landing summer internships are very competitive in this respect.
Really? I don't and I don't know anyone else that does, because grades don't really tell you that much about how that person will perform as an employee. What I do see are lots of college grads who land in entry level jobs that don't require a degree, and they're having to work their way up. How they perform in that first job is much more telling. When I hire, I look at experience, work ethic and personality--is this person willing to go the extra mile, can they work as a team, do they have good problem solving skills, can they work independently, do they present themselves well? Your references are what count more than anything. When I check references, I call the person listed, but I also talk to someone higher up the chain in the same business or organization to see if the information is consistent on performance. Unless you're in a highly technical field, a college degree doesn't teach you the specific information you need for a job--it teaches you how to find information, learn and think. You learn the career as you do it--not in college. A well rounded person with good grades may well out perform someone with straight A's but zero life. You have to take all of that into consideration.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Applicants are not simply placed into international vs. non-international categories based on citizenship or place of schooling.

Columbia says otherwise. They consider student's situations case-by-case. They require student visas of students who by law need to have student visas. The international students who don't need student visas by law would not be required by Columbia to provide a student visa.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Your inability to read and comprehend simple English is noted.
Yours is worse. You're referring to current Columbia policy. Cite the policy in effect when Obama was admitted.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Really? I don't and I don't know anyone else that does, because grades don't really tell you that much about how that person will perform as an employee.
We have two recent college grads in the family. An engineer and an actuary. Both always had their courses, GPAs, etc. verified by potential employers, including internship employers.

If you're talking about liberal arts degrees, then yes, no one usually gives a rat's azz about courses or grades.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Applicants are not simply placed into international vs. non-international categories based on citizenship or place of schooling.

Columbia says otherwise. They consider student's situations case-by-case. They require student visas of students who by law need to have student visas. The international students who don't need student visas by law would not be required by Columbia to provide a student visa.
I said this earlier, but just exactly what is involved in being in the "international student" program at Columbia? It sounds like they're more flexible with that program than many other schools. I think some of the birthers out here think it gives students special advantages over US citizens--not true.

I've studied abroad twice--a year in high school, and a semester in college. My exchange program in college was structured a little differently for the semester abroad students, but they put us together for lots of activities with the international students who applied to attend all four years and complete their degree at that university. The one's I've seen are more social support programs--they help the students strengthen their language skills if they need it, they help them understand cultural differences so they'll fit in better, and they hold social activities so the students can get to know each other, make friends, and have a more normal college experience. The adviser they're assigned to, at least at first, is usually more sensitive to the challenges they might face as an international student. The students don't get a preference on admission, and they don't get special treatment in the classroom. I can see how a student who might be an American citizen, but grew up entirely in a country like Bangladesh or somewhere in Africa with missionary parents might benefit from a program like that (and I'm guessing that's why they keep an open mind about who is eligible) but it would be pointless for American kids who've lived primarily in the US for any period of time. Why would any kid who's lived in the United States need help understanding and assimilating into American culture--the goal of those programs?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'll help you meson, this is what he said<snip>
You posted a long version of what I summarized in my post so what's your point?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
We have two recent college grads in the family. An engineer and an actuary. Both always had their courses, GPAs, etc. verified by potential employers, including internship employers.

If you're talking about liberal arts degrees, then yes, no one usually gives a rat's azz about courses or grades.
They're in technical fields where the course work matters--in any other field it doesn't. Even then, after they get through their first job or two I doubt that they'll have to submit a transcript, because their job performance and experience will be what matters. I'm betting that references from the internships and from professors were as or more important than their GPA.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Really? Show me a school that gives priority admission to foreign students
Applying as a foreign student is a 'hook.' As is being an URM (under-represented minority). Colleges that strive for diversity in admissions (and almost all do) give preference to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies