Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times

Advertisements

BTW - wealth is not prosperity. A millionaire stranded on a deserted isle (i.e., "Gilligan's Island") can't buy his rescue nor anything else.

Prosperity is the creation, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
So the key to prosperity is not in what is used to account for wealth, but how productive and efficient a people are. Doing more, with less, so more can enjoy produces greater prosperity. Doing less, with more, so fewer can enjoy, produces greater misery.

Collectivism, and any other system that denies the individual the right to absolutely own himself, his labor, the fruits of his labor and the land beneath his feet, will never succeed. Compulsory labor for the benefit of another is not the solution. Slavery is unacceptable and always inefficient.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairnessIsGlorious View Post
A single company is not an entire economy.

You can't start your own company in our current economy and operate by your own rules instead of by our current economy's rules. Every company is forced to operate within our current market economy's rules.
OK, I'm in! And I'm sure my hubs will be too. We plan to start our own businesses (we work way too hard for the man now). Our businesses, which we intend to operate by our own rules, will be comprised of scientific study. The hubs plans to study the growth rate of turf grass. He'll be spending 20 hours on the golf course each week in the pursuit of his job. I'll be conducting my own scientific study on the benefits/issues with various lengths of sleep. I plan to spend at least 8 hours per day conducting this study so I expect to get paid a lot more than folks that just work 20 hours a week.

Please send checks ASAP. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Only 3% of workers get paid an above average income in our current economic system because it is based on exploitation, not fairness. It is not about who is rich and who is not.

The compensation plan would apply to all workers.
Be careful, your ignorance is showing.

The average income for an individual with a four year college education is $56,740, which accounts for over 54% of Americans. Your '3%' number is complete BS. Maybe instead of spending your effort writing posts like this, you should get off your a** and study so that you deserve to have a higher income.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 PM

103 posts, read 64,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why? You could just register for school instead. We'd have a society of full-time academics that aren't really interested in learning - they're just avoiding having to work.

I'm still not sure if you're just yanking our chains here. Generally, if someone proposed something as utterly preposterous as what you wrote, I'd write it off as a joke. But you spent a hell of a lot of time on it, if that's what it is. I just can't believe that you're serious, though. It's absolutely ridiculous, but I think you're serious.

Shrug..

BTW, I think I know who your soul mate is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G6qJLi_K0Q
Right, 97% of workers must continue to get paid a below average wage and 50% of Americans must continue to live in or close to poverty because if we had a fair market system that wasn't based on theft and exploitation, we would have a society of full time academics avoiding work.

Wait, maybe we could require people who go to school to actually maintain their grades in order to continue. And maybe, just maybe, we can only allow people to just get 1 degree instead of being career students.

Nah, that is completely unworkable. So most workers must continue to remain broke. The problem of avoiding a society of academics avoiding work is impossible to overcome.

This "preposterous" idea is peer reviewed in mainstream economics journals and advocates have been publishing on the subject for nearly 100 years from Oskar Lange debunking Mises and Hayek in the famous Economic Calculation Debate to Paul Cockshott today.

You might want to get more educated on the different worldviews before you commit to being a cheerleader for the one that is exploiting you because of your ignorance.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
To the OP: You shouldn't cut and paste from another website without citing it. After all, it's not "FAIR" to use the fruits of another's labor.

For those interested, here's where the OP found this dandy idea.

Forum Post: SOLUTION: Raise the minimum wage to $115,000 per year | OccupyWallSt.org
I am also the author of that post. And they are not the same.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
I am also the author of that post. And they are not the same.
You may be. Or you may not. This is the Internet and as we all know, nobody ever lies on the Internet.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Right, 97% of workers must continue to get paid a below average wage and 50% of Americans must continue to live in or close to poverty because if we had a fair market system that wasn't based on theft and exploitation, we would have a society of full time academics avoiding work.

Wait, maybe we could require people who go to school to actually maintain their grades in order to continue. And maybe, just maybe, we can only allow people to just get 1 degree instead of being career students.

Nah, that is completely unworkable. So most workers must continue to remain broke. The problem of avoiding a society of academics avoiding work is impossible to overcome.

This "preposterous" idea is peer reviewed in mainstream economics journals and advocates have been publishing on the subject for nearly 100 years from Oskar Lange debunking Mises and Hayek in the famous Economic Calculation Debate to Paul Cockshott today.

You might want to get more educated on the different worldviews before you commit to being a cheerleader for the one that is exploiting you because of your ignorance.
Instead of 'requiring' someone to do anything, why don't we let people fall on their faces when they screw up? The incentive not to fail is a powerful motivator.

Why do we have to treat grown adults like five year olds?

Also, personally, I am 26 years old and not too long ago I crossed the threshold into a six figure income. I work 75-90 hours per week, and have put that time and effort in solely so that I would earn a very comfortable lifestyle. On what planet would I want to endorse a system that gives the results of my hard work to someone who is content to work only 20 hours/week in a mailroom and expect a six figure salary?

Your posts are nothing short of insulting.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You'd be quadrupling the median US wage. This would cause massive inflation and devaluation of US currency....which would put all those "wealthy" people you were creating back down to a pre-inflationary wage of maybe 20-25k.

P.S. Admitting you were previously banned and yet created a new ID to return? Have you read the terms of service?
All we are doing is re-allocating EXISTING income. We are not increasing the total amount of income that is getting paid out. So it does not cause inflation.

If all we did was increase the minimum wage to $115k, and kept everyone else's income the same, that would cause inflation. But that is not what we are doing. We are also lowering the top pay from hundreds of millions and billions of dollars to just $460k. The amount we are reducing the top pay is exactly equal to the amount we are increasing the minimum pay. The net result is no increase in price on average. This is math 101.

If you have a $14.5 trillion economy and you only pay out $14.5 trillion in income, it is mathematically impossible to have inflation. How is the economy going to inflate beyond the $14.5 trillion if only $14.5 trillion is being spent? It can't. It is impossible.

You can see the calculation in paying out those incomes here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25524742-post28.html

P.S. I made one post to this website, it was this post but it included links to my citations. That is what got me banned. That is why I made this post without the links. If you are not allowed to cite your sources with links and citing sources requires a permanent ban, I am guilty as charged.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yes, "understanding" is key.

"Wealth" is relative. If we're alone on a desert island, and we each have ten coconuts, we have the same quantity of resources. If we each have a million coconuts, we have the same quantity of resources. If you have ten coconuts and I have a million coconuts, then I'm wealthy in that island's resources and you're not.

Seriously - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why your plan is so insanely flawed, which is a good thing, because under your plan, we wouldn't have any.
lol

If I have a million coconuts and 1 million coconuts is considered a great quantity of valuable property, I am wealthy whether you have 1 million coconuts or not.

If you are unable to grasp the meaning of wealth, perhaps this explains why you are a cheerleader for a system that is robbing you of most of your wealth.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
I would imagine this idea is very popular within the union of latte foam artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies