Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,040,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Ok, that was funny.

But I can say that my father rarely has to crap out in the open in Uganda. And even when it does occur in the open, there's always brush to hide in.

That being said, he got septicimia within 4 months of being there.
So a green pooper would have prevented that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,332,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It may come as a shock but I doubt many folks in Uganda give a crap about the green movement. They are trying to live till tomorrow.
Everything in this thread has gone over your head, hasn't it?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This is an advancement of the composting toilet - it certainly is a type of composting toilet. To me the special part is the water purification system that also produces usable hydrogen (from sunlight and table salt!!!).
The only advancement is it's much higher cost and use of resources, you really can't beat $150 for a composting in-house outhouse. I don't think there is any shortage of hydrogen, and adding salt isn't really necessary.

A traditional outhouse works very well -- doesn't pollute as long as you dig the hole deep enough and keep the shovel handy to throw some dirt into the hole now and then. Very easy to maintain, just dig another hole and pick up the outhouse and move it.

They had the coolest outhouses at one state park I saw a number of years ago. It had very little odor, used no water, and at the base, they could get the compost and use it for whatever.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I guarantee they care an awful lot about clean water and sewage treatment (you know, wishing they had either).
Who ever said they didn't care about water? Why do you folks keep interjecting things into this that nobody has even mentioned? I get it. You think this green solar water purification fertilizer creating poop bucket is the coolest thing since toasted bread. At least Jobs would have included a damn Iphone attachment.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,618,600 times
Quote:
I guarantee they care an awful lot about clean water and sewage treatment (you know, wishing they had either).
Both are much bigger issues than food, at least in Uganda.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Everything in this thread has gone over your head, hasn't it?
Coming from somebody who most likely hasn't even read the thread and decides to chime in insulting people I could care less what you think.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,120,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only advancement is it's much higher cost and use of resources, you really can't beat $150 for a composting in-house outhouse. I don't think there is any shortage of hydrogen, and adding salt isn't really necessary.

A traditional outhouse works very well -- doesn't pollute as long as you dig the hole deep enough and keep the shovel handy to throw some dirt into the hole now and then. Very easy to maintain, just dig another hole and pick up the outhouse and move it.

They had the coolest outhouses at one state park I saw a number of years ago. It had very little odor, used no water, and at the base, they could get the compost and use it for whatever.
This isn't being designed to replace outhouses at Boy Scout camps, State Parks, and remote houses out in the sticks (although I don't see why they shouldn't be in time). It's being designed for fifth and disease ridden population centers in the 3rd world that lack infrastructure (electricity infrastructure, sewage infrastructure, water infrastructure - this doesn't need the first, and acts as the second and third - plus it could be an energy source in that it converts sunlight and human waste into hydrogen).

Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,748,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

sounds like a plan shovel ready jobs for the taking.. gates probably would get more bang for his buck paying the poor to dig deep and crap low!!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM

994 posts, read 1,594,212 times
Since when does a toilet need electricity to begin with? Unless it's a fusion powered rocket toilet....WHOOOOAAAHHH!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,120,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Since when does a toilet need electricity to begin with? Unless it's a fusion powered rocket toilet....WHOOOOAAAHHH!!!!
When it's not simply a toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies