Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,854,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i got no problem with it in general as long as it's his money.. but the way i see it it will be like the space shuttle.. scrapped after billions of wasted dollars.. i think he would be better off promoting contraception in all the overpopulated nations.. look at haiti they just keep breeding and look at the place barely a tree left.. there is such a thing as a limit!!! well i guess they dont see it...
It a funny "legacy" to be sure but I think there are far worse ways to blow wads of cash... provided the solar-powered potty actually works, anyway.

After all, if nobody conceptualized sewer treatment plants we'd still be dumping our crap into rivers, lakes and oceans... and if nobody thought of sewer pipes we'd be leaving it in the backyard or in the gutter.

Maybe this is "the next big evolution" and will lead to higher civilization like the last two big turd disposal conecptual leaps did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,620,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
There is a way to eradicate the skeeters but if you do your crops are deemed worthless. Catch 22. Maybe we should all just get the hell out of the way and let AFrica figure it out for themselves? Just a thought.
The Gates Foundation is working on a vaccine. And why don't you let rich capitalists give their money where and to whom they like? Or do you have something against the principles of free-market capitalism?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i got no problem with it in general as long as it's his money.. but the way i see it it will be like the space shuttle.. scrapped after billions of wasted dollars.. i think he would be better off promoting contraception in all the overpopulated nations.. look at haiti they just keep breeding and look at the place barely a tree left.. there is such a thing as a limit!!! well i guess they dont see it...
So you would rather just let millions die rather than at least try to address the problem? I do not understand people who lack empathy, not at all, as that is one of the main traits that define psychopaths.

Gates is focusing on the need for a new type of toilet as an important part of his foundation's push to improve health in the developing world. Open defecation leads to sanitation problems that cause 1.5 million children under 5 to die each year, Gates said, and Western-syle toilets are not the answer as they demand a complex sewer infrastructure and use too much water.

By the way the gates foundation does promote contraceptives, among other things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LhAhg-PdJ1Q

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,046,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So your solution is to do nothing? How humane of you.....not.
Yes that is my solution.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Yes that is my solution.
Oh, guess you don't believe in capitalism. How weird.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The Gates Foundation is working on a vaccine. And why don't you let rich capitalists give their money where and to whom they like? Or do you have something against the principles of free-market capitalism?
If you had read my post previously I said I don't care what he does with his money as it is his. Perhaps you should read through the thread before jumping in screaming next time eh??

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, guess you don't believe in capitalism. How weird.
What does the 2 trillion in aid handed to AFrica over the years have to do with capitalism? How has poverty gone from 10% in AFrica to 70% now over this time? Do you think Gates handed all that money to Africa? From what I read this green poop machine was a 100K dollar project.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
If you had read my post previously I said I don't care what he does with his money as it is his. Perhaps you should read through the thread before jumping in screaming next time eh??
Quote:
So your solution is to do nothing? How humane of you.....not.
Quote:
Yes that is my solution.
I did't miss anything. This is your solution. Pretty straightforward.

Quote:
What does the 2 trillion in aid handed to AFrica over the years have to do with capitalism?
What does that aid have to do with this thread? If you want to talk about the problems of foreign aid then start a thread on that.

Quote:
How has poverty gone from 10% in AFrica to 70% now over this time? Do you think Gates handed all that money to Africa? From what I read this green poop machine was a 100K dollar project.
You can peruse the Gates Foundation website on more information if you like, although I'm sure that you won't. And what Gates is trying to do is not to replace current waste systems with a green alternative. It's giving people a waste system that will work with the absence of the infrastructure that we take for granted.

But speaking to how this relates to capitalism, for each person that survives treatable and preventable diseases that is one more possible consumer in the market. Whether or not you see it as a moral imperative to help people with basic survival or not, it's absolutely moronic to not cultivate a huge market opportunity like that which exists in under-developed countries.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 PM

If you want to create said market why are you for not allowing that market to thrive? Oops I guess you better start a new thread on the market size of under-developed countries. I'll join you there.

It is not just my solution. I simply agree with many who know much more about the situation and take that same angle towards a solution.

UK - Is Aid Killing Africa? - Foreign Correspondent - ABC

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,751,426 times
Quote:
So you would rather just let millions die rather than at least try to address the problem? I do not understand people who lack empathy, not at all, as that is one of the main traits that define psychopaths.

Gates is focusing on the need for a new type of toilet as an important part of his foundation's push to improve health in the developing world. Open defecation leads to sanitation problems that cause 1.5 million children under 5 to die each year, Gates said, and Western-syle toilets are not the answer as they demand a complex sewer infrastructure and use too much water.

By the way the gates foundation does promote contraceptives, among other things...

Where's the Controversy in Saving Lives? - YouTube

the more you give em the more they breed,, like one poster said if anything comes from this it will just end up in the hands of corrupt govenments..

look at all the bs that went on in haiti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies