Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
In the article or the interview, the race of the assailants was never mentioned.

From the initial article posted by the person who started this topic on page 1:

" Several residents called police, noting the suspects are black and inquiring whether Mahaney was specifically targeted because he is white"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Conservatives and Libertarians: These "youths" should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, even of that means life in prison or the death sentence. Psychopaths such as these "youths" have no place in a free society.

Liberals: These "youths" are victims of institutional racism and oppression, therefore I can empathize with these young men. We need to fight the justice system on their behalf and ensure that there are more after school programs available to "at-risk youth".

These are the two competing ideologies this country has to choose from.
How about all of the above, minus the part about life sentences & death penalties for an assault (why are some people acting like it was a murder?). I think they should be prosecuted accordingly, probably with some time in juvenile detention, AND we need to focus more on early intervention for at-risk youth. I used to work in such a program, and not a single one of our kids got in trouble while I was there - meanwhile, almost every one of them had a peer or family member who was locked up, hooked on hard drugs, and/or pregnant before finishing high school.

Signed, A liberal-leaning-Libertarian-Independent

Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
of course we don't have to ask what would happen if the races were reversed. seems occurances like this are happening way more frequently yet not a peep from the mainstream media. this must be another Romney conspiracy.

Police: Man attacked because teens 'were just bored' | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Thank you I should have read the article more carefully.

This was in response to Oldglory who corrected my error.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From the initial article posted by the person who started this topic on page 1:

" Several residents called police, noting the suspects are black and inquiring whether Mahaney was specifically targeted because he is white"
Wonder why they felt the need to "note the suspects were black?" Seems everyone else (including some people here) was more concerned with race than the assailants & victim probably are/were.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
of course we don't have to ask what would happen if the races were reversed. seems occurances like this are happening way more frequently yet not a peep from the mainstream media. this must be another Romney conspiracy.

Police: Man attacked because teens 'were just bored' | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
It was only one white man he probably deserved it for being white

Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You don't watch the news to much, do you?????
Yes, I watch local news quite often... and at least around here, non-fatality assaults rarely make the broadcasts. Do they make news where you live, and are you in an urban area (Houston, I presume)? Heck, in my old neighborhood even MURDERS didn't always make the news - they'd just give a total "body count" at the end of the year, and I think we averaged around 25-30 annually.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
It starts at home with THE PARENTS! We can sit here and blame all of the violence on tv or video games, or music, blah blah blah, and sure those things can be influencial to the young mind! However; it is up to the parents to teach these kids how to differentiate as to what is right and wrong. My son is in that phase where he is into playing army, and playing with his toy guns. I did at his age as well. However; I make it VERY clear that it is pretend, and that taking another life is NOT acceptable! Unless of course it is in self defense, and your life is clearly in danger.
Absolutely, but many children (especially in low-income areas) simply don't have those parental role models - and that is when early-intervention programs come into play. As already mentioned I used to work at one, and we had a very high success rate. Matter of fact, a handful of my former students now Facebook me from college.

Quote:
Unfortunately these kids chose to act out violently, and target an innocent person. They need to be held accountable and prosecuted!
Yes, but only in accordance with the law... not with lifelong torture or death penalties, as some people here are suggesting. They might be "wise" beyond their years, but the fact is that they're still basically children, and also that assault usually carries a 2-10 year sentence.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
yes, usually by other blacks. black on black crime is not news because it happens so often and the media caved in to pressure by black activists to stop showing what really goes on in most black neighborhoods.

again, most are killed by other blacks. black on black crime not big news, black on white crime not big news, white on black crime....BIG NEWS!
Proof or it didn't happen...

As somebody else said earlier, it's always ironic when people claim the media ignores something - while using the media as their source. LOL

Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Well, we all know if white teens did this to a black man, it would be all over every website, channel, and newspaper.

Cops: Teens beat man because 'they were just bored' - U.S. News

Pat Mahaney Case: Ohio teens attacked 45-year-old man because they were bored, police say - Crimesider - CBS News

4 teens beat up North College Hill man because they were bored - FOX19.com-Cincinnati News, Weather & Sports

Instead of spewing the typical nonesense. Why don't you do a little research. This has been all over the news.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It didn't make the news because this is what happens in the 'hood all the time. People get shot and killed in the hood by the thousands, and not a peep from the media, except when it happens at a suburban shopping mall or theater. Zimmerman makes the news mostly because he shot and killed an older teenager in the quiet suburbs. If this had happened in some ghetto in the City of Orlando, nothing would have happened. People would be asking, "George and Martin who?". This has nothing to do with race, crimes happening in the ghetto don't make the news because it's not shocking, it's more like no crap, it is the ghetto after all.

It did make the news. Try again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies