Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

Urbanlife78,
As an adult I am aware that wearing a seatbelt can make my chances of survival greater in certain circumstances. I am aware of what can happen if I dont wear a seatbelt. I asume all risks. I still think its wrong to make people wear one. Your body, your choice. Its nobodys business but mine and why others care if I was to die in a gruesome accident is beyond me.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
For children, elderly, and those who dont know any better yes! If I'm an able bodied adult who's aware of the consequences of not wearing one and choose not to wear one while riding in a car, why is it anyone else's business and why should I be penalized for choosing not to safeguard myself? Its nothing but a revenue generator. They can care less about your safety.

I personally was involved in a very serious car accident where ironically the 2 occupants wearing seatbelts were the ones seriously injured while the 2 (myself included) werent. Reason being, the 2 wearing the seatbelts were held in place and as a result had their legs crushed by the car that ate the red light while the 2 not wearing them were thrown about inside the car on impact and suffered only minor cuts and bruises.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-20-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I always wear my seatbelt. I get onto my kids all the time to make sure they wear their seatbelts. I think everyone should wear their seatbelts.

I do not think there should be a law requiring it.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm starting this thread after a lengthy conversation with a police officer today. How do you posters feel about seatbelt laws? Personally, I feel like it gives officers too much authority. Nobody will be harmed, but yourself for not wearing a seatbelt. Shouldn't there be public awareness campaigns rather than law enforcement of the issue?
The facts and statistics are just overwhelming. If you wear a seatbelt you are so much more likely to not only survive but to walk away from an accident than if you don't wear it.

Someone has to pay for your hospital bills, for that alone it should be law. Also, children grow up watching their ignorant parents not wearing them so they will probably not wear them.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm assuming by saying "seat belt laws" you are referring to laws that require adults to use the seat belts when they are riding or driving. I oppose those laws as well as helmet laws (even though I think you have to have rocks in your head to ride in a car without using the seat belt or to ride a motorcycle without a helmet) because I don't think it is the proper role of government to protect individuals against making decisions that harm only themselves.

If you're talking about laws that require car manufacturers to install a certain number of seat belts that comply with certain standards, or that require minors to be in a seat belt,, I support them. History shows us that manufacturers cannot be relied on to provide safe products without regulation, and that parents cannot always be relied on to act so as not to endanger their children without government regulation. Moreover, minors tend to lack the judgment they need for their own protection.
I definitely agree with you on all points.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A young girl(she was 5 years old) died here in Southern California several years ago in a car fire. She burned to death. The culprit that prevented her from being saved was a child seat that she could not be freed from.

Does that explain my opposition to seatbelt laws?
Not even close. That is a ridiculous reason. Fire happens in vehicle accidents less than 1% of the time. Most child deaths in vehicles are a result of not being strapped in properly and often at low speeds.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The facts and statistics are just overwhelming. If you wear a seatbelt you are so much more likely to not only survive but to walk away from an accident than if you don't wear it.

Someone has to pay for your hospital bills, for that alone it should be law. Also, children grow up watching their ignorant parents not wearing them so they will probably not wear them.
I think as an adult everyone knows that if you wear a seatbelt you have a greater chance of survival in an accident but is that the govt place to tell me that I need to buckle up for my own safety? My safety shoul dbe no concern of theirs. As an adult you are aware of the consequences, you dont need someone making you do it. In fact i think people would be more agreeable to wearing them if it was choice.

I like to look at it as population control. WHen its your time, its your time. If you were meant to die, a seatbelts not gonna save you.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not even close. That is a ridiculous reason. Fire happens in vehicle accidents less than 1% of the time. Most child deaths in vehicles are a result of not being strapped in properly and often at low speeds.
Everyone but maybe 1 poster has agreed that minors should abide by a seat belt law.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I think as an adult everyone knows that if you wear a seatbelt you have a greater chance of survival in an accident but is that the govt place to tell me that I need to buckle up for my own safety? My safety shoul dbe no concern of theirs. As an adult you are aware of the consequences, you dont need someone making you do it. In fact i think people would be more agreeable to wearing them if it was choice.

I like to look at it as population control. WHen its your time, its your time. If you were meant to die, a seatbelts not gonna save you.
You are driving on the Government's highway. They set the safety rules and hire the experts. Do you drive the speed limit or close to it? Do you use your turn signal? Do you drive a vehicle that is legal on the highway?

Driving is not life, it's a way to get to work and back or go fishing or whatever. Just follow the damn rules, it's better for everyone.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Everyone but maybe 1 poster has agreed that minors should abide by a seat belt law.
Well, if you have a minor in your car that is belted in but you aren't? So you die and leave orphans behind. That makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies