Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Driving is a privilege, not a right therefore the laws that come with driving should be obeyed if one wishes to keep the privilege of driving.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Even cell phone laws have more merit than seat belt laws. At least with cell phone laws your actually imposing a risk to someone else. With seat belt laws, the only risk is to yourself.
I agree, but then why not outlaw radios in cars. Or gps units, or anything else that distracts you from the road? While we're at it, lets outlaw drinking coffee or water while driving since you have to take one hand off the wheel in order to do so. I always said that the act of holding a cell phone to your ear isnt the distraction. Its the conversation itself that distracts you yet hands free talking is legal.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I agree, but then why not outlaw radios in cars. Or gps units, or anything else that distracts you from the road? While we're at it, lets outlaw drinking coffee or water while driving since you have to take one hand off the wheel in order to do so. I always said that the act of holding a cell phone to your ear isnt the distraction. Its the conversation itself that distracts you yet hands free talking is legal.
I'm not arguing for them, I'm simply strengthening my argument. I'm just against giving the police discretion over things so trivial. Half the time, officers are on their cell phones themselves.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Driving is a privilege, not a right therefore the laws that come with driving should be obeyed if one wishes to keep the privilege of driving.
Laws should be designed to protect others. Not yourself, from yourself. You haven't made a point that hasn't been debunked yet. This lone statement is simply another.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing for them, I'm simply strengthening my argument. I'm just against giving the police discretion over things so trivial. Half the time, officers are on their cell phones themselves.
I know. I'm agreeing with you and do see a bigger case for outlawing cell phone talking rather than non seatbelt. I only bring up how there are bigger or equal distractions while driving yet nobody seems to have a problem with that. Its funny at how prior to the cell phone laws nobody ever really said anything. Now if a person is driving while on the cell phone people act like its the end of the world. "look at him/her talking while driving! The nerve!" LOL. Once something is deemed illegal, simple minded citizens become automatically brainwashed into thinking you're the scum of the earth if you disobey these laws. These are the same people that would let our govt stick probes up their behind in order to fly in order to deter terrorism.

Last edited by louie0406; 08-21-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Laws should be designed to protect others. Not yourself, from yourself. You haven't made a point that hasn't been debunked yet. This lone statement is simply another.
Why make a point, you have been running in circles for how many pages? You need to understand that driving is a privilege, if you don't like the laws of driving you are always welcome to not drive. Solves the seat belt problem for you.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Why make a point, you have been running in circles for how many pages? You need to understand that driving is a privilege, if you don't like the laws of driving you are always welcome to not drive. Solves the seat belt problem for you.

Or simply pay the ticket. Almost like a speeding ticket is the cost associated with speeding.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Or simply pay the ticket. Almost like a speeding ticket is the cost associated with speeding.
Why stand up for what you believe in? Why not just go along with whatever the government says?

Because I'm not a sheep. I will be in court.

And I will be organizing something in the very near future about racial profiling. Thanks to the war on drugs and "statistics" I get pulled over every so often for absolutely no reason. I'm tired of the government stepping on my rights.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
It doesnt matter. People are going to continue to ignore the law and the billboards and continue to not wear seat belts and use cell phones while driving. Our law maker know this. A dumb crook never plans or thinks he's going to get caught.
A billboard could remind someone to buckle up, in case they simply forgot...? Still refutes the idea that the sole purpose of these laws are to get money from the people who break them.

Ordinarily, I'd be the first to agree with you that the government is jacked up. But I'll never regard seat belt laws as ridiculous, sorry.

Quote:
Even cell phone laws have more merit than seat belt laws. At least with cell phone laws your actually imposing a risk to someone else. With seat belt laws, the only risk is to yourself.
Not true. It's been said here a million times that people (especially children) shouldn't have to witness the most gory details of your death in the event of an accident all because you don't want to buckle yourself in (i.e., keep your blood and guts in your car and not displayed in public view). Nor is it necessarily a given that picking up gruesome body parts and cleaning up all the blood after an accident is just part of the city's job.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Ok, so why not just go straight to the root of the problem and outlaw alcohol?
They tried that once a while back. It worked about as well as the current "war on drugs" is working.
Quote:
What your not understanding is that me not wearing a seat belt and driving is not any more dangerous than driving a motorcycle. Or smoking cigarettes. In reality, its less dangerous than smoking cigarettes.
It's true that riding a motorcycle, even with a helmet, is more dangerous than riding in a car without a seatbelt. However, motorcycles account for about 3% of the total number of registered vehicles in the US. That includes passenger cars, work trucks, semi-trucks, and anything else that rides on the roads and requires a registration and tag. Because many motorcycles sit in the garage on all but the prettiest weekend days, the total miles driven on motorcycles is probably closer to 1% of the total miles driven overall. Making an improvement to motorcycle safety (i.e., helmet laws) helps out a very tiny percentage of the population. Making an improvement to automobile safety helps out the vast majority of the population. If motorcycles were a higher percentage, I'm sure that safety of motorcycle passengers would be more of a priority.

In my state (Tennessee), smoking cigarettes is banned in all public buildings except bars where you have to be 21 to enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies