Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
A billboard could remind someone to buckle up, in case they simply forgot...? Still refutes the idea that the sole purpose of these laws are to get money from the people who break them.

Ordinarily, I'd be the first to agree with you that the government is jacked up. But I'll never regard seat belt laws as ridiculous, sorry.

Not true. It's been said here a million times that people (especially children) shouldn't have to witness the most gory details of your death in the event of an accident all because you don't want to buckle yourself in (i.e., keep your blood and guts in your car and not displayed in public view). Nor is it necessarily a given that picking up gruesome body parts and cleaning up all the blood after an accident is just part of the city's job.

Cmon! Children can be exposed to gore by merely turning on the television or logging on to the internet. I've seen videos and images of people mangled and burnt to a crisp during accidents while buckled in because they were killed on impact and/or the car burst into flames. Do seatbelts help save lives? In certain cases yes. Are they guaranteed to save your life? Absolutely not.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
A billboard could remind someone to buckle up, in case they simply forgot...? Still refutes the idea that the sole purpose of these laws are to get money from the people who break them.

Ordinarily, I'd be the first to agree with you that the government is jacked up. But I'll never regard seat belt laws as ridiculous, sorry.

Not true. It's been said here a million times that people (especially children) shouldn't have to witness the most gory details of your death in the event of an accident all because you don't want to buckle yourself in (i.e., keep your blood and guts in your car and not displayed in public view). Nor is it necessarily a given that picking up gruesome body parts and cleaning up all the blood after an accident is just part of the city's job.
Oh please. Terrible argument.

With your reasoning you should support the banning of motorcycles as well. People can take a risk by not wearing a seat belt. But CAN take a risk on a much more dangerous vehicle where the chances of dying from an accident are exponentially higher. Makes a ton of sense.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
They tried that once a while back. It worked about as well as the current "war on drugs" is working.
It's true that riding a motorcycle, even with a helmet, is more dangerous than riding in a car without a seatbelt. However, motorcycles account for about 3% of the total number of registered vehicles in the US. That includes passenger cars, work trucks, semi-trucks, and anything else that rides on the roads and requires a registration and tag. Because many motorcycles sit in the garage on all but the prettiest weekend days, the total miles driven on motorcycles is probably closer to 1% of the total miles driven overall. Making an improvement to motorcycle safety (i.e., helmet laws) helps out a very tiny percentage of the population. Making an improvement to automobile safety helps out the vast majority of the population. If motorcycles were a higher percentage, I'm sure that safety of motorcycle passengers would be more of a priority.

In my state (Tennessee), smoking cigarettes is banned in all public buildings except bars where you have to be 21 to enter.
Interesting statistics. In 2010, 30,000 car accidents resulted in fatalities. Motorcycle crashes resulted in 4,000 fatalities despite the statistics you listed.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
They tried that once a while back. It worked about as well as the current "war on drugs" is working.
It's true that riding a motorcycle, even with a helmet, is more dangerous than riding in a car without a seatbelt. However, motorcycles account for about 3% of the total number of registered vehicles in the US. That includes passenger cars, work trucks, semi-trucks, and anything else that rides on the roads and requires a registration and tag. Because many motorcycles sit in the garage on all but the prettiest weekend days, the total miles driven on motorcycles is probably closer to 1% of the total miles driven overall. Making an improvement to motorcycle safety (i.e., helmet laws) helps out a very tiny percentage of the population. Making an improvement to automobile safety helps out the vast majority of the population. If motorcycles were a higher percentage, I'm sure that safety of motorcycle passengers would be more of a priority.

In my state (Tennessee), smoking cigarettes is banned in all public buildings except bars where you have to be 21 to enter.

How about you post the statistics of people who survive motorcycle accidents vs the people who survive car accidents.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Cmon! Children can be exposed to gore by merely turning on the television or logging on to the internet.
Yes, which parents/guardians or other approved supervisors must allow them to do. Else, it is just some bozo taking it upon himself to decide what another person's child should see. And for what it's worth, seeing someone die in real life and watching a fake death on TV are not quite the same experience, I submit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
With your reasoning you should support the banning of motorcycles as well.
Well I would see the reasoning behind it if they were ever banned, same as I'm doing here on this subject. Wouldn't push for it, but I wouldn't stand against it either.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, which parents/guardians or other approved supervisors must allow them to do. Else, it is just some bozo taking it upon himself to decide what another person's child should see. And for what it's worth, seeing someone die in real life and watching a fake death on TV are not quite the same experience, I submit.

Well I would see the reasoning behind it if they were ever banned, same as I'm doing here on this subject. Wouldn't push for it, but I wouldn't stand against it either.
So your against our personal freedoms. It's clear.

I would never drive a motorcycle. One wreck and your done. But I'm crazy for not wearing a helmet?? Please explain that one to me.

Regardless of my personal views however, people should have the freedom to ride motorcycles.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So your against our personal freedoms. It's clear.
Everyone's against someone else's "personal freedoms" one way or another. I've given my reasons, and you haven't been able to counter the points I'm making. You just find new ways to say you disagree.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Everyone's against someone else's "personal freedoms" one way or another. I've given my reasons, and you haven't been able to counter the points I'm making. You just find new ways to say you disagree.
Let's recap your points.

1) You don't want children to see horrific accidents.
2) You don't want people to see others getting killed.

How are those points at all?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
So you guys who think it should be your choice on whether to wear a seatbelt..would you be ok with your insurance company being free to not cover you in the event of an accident? Like they say, freedom is not free. There is a price.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So you guys who think it should be your choice on whether to wear a seatbelt..would you be ok with your insurance company being free to not cover you in the event of an accident? Like they say, freedom is not free. There is a price.
No. Why would I pay into something and not be covered? IF, that is IF, I have an accident, and I'm not wearing a seat belt and need their assistance, I'd expect my insurance premiums to go up. But don't they go up anyway?

And is your argument one based on insurance premiums??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies