Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 AM

197 posts, read 213,070 times

Advertisements

If this is done (the R&R plan) then there won't be any medicare for you when you turn 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you assume that this plan is a done deal and will be signed 1/21/2013 thus putting you in the under 55 group.

You are certainly old enough to know better and to jump to this type of conclusion.
If nothing is done then there won't be any medicare for you when you turn 65.
YOU'RE lecturing ME about not jumping to conclusions? LOL--that's the pot calling the kettle black. All I can go off is what they propose and say. I don't have a crystal ball--are you saying that I shouldn't take the republicans at their word? This is what they've proposed--I'm not going to base my judgements on what I'm guessing they'll do down the road, or what you think they're going to do down the road.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khsoj View Post
If this is done (the R&R plan) then there won't be any medicare for you when you turn 65.
It sure looks that way

Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
YOU'RE lecturing ME about not jumping to conclusions? LOL--that's the pot calling the kettle black. All I can go off is what they propose and say. I don't have a crystal ball--are you saying that I shouldn't take the republicans at their word? This is what they've proposed--I'm not going to base my judgements on what I'm guessing they'll do down the road, or what you think they're going to do down the road.
Is Ryan's plan Romeny's platform ? Has Romney promoted this plan as his solution ?
Romney is running for President, not Ryan.

Obama hasn't presented any plan for reform, just cuts. How are you dealing with that ?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Is Ryan's plan Romeny's platform ? Has Romney promoted this plan as his solution ?
Romney is running for President, not Ryan.

Obama hasn't presented any plan for reform, just cuts. How are you dealing with that ?
Are you saying that Romney DOESN'T want a voucher plan? Why don't you show me how his plan differentiates from the Ryan plan?

The affordable care act adds about 8 more years on to medicare, but it's going to take some serious, bipartisian discussion to figure out how to fix that system so it's there for the rest of us. Since Ryan is the budget band leader for the do nothing, 10% approval rated Congress, I highly doubt that debate is going to happen as long as he's a leader in the process. I don't think anyone has the answers on how to fix it yet, but completely throwing medicare out the window and going to a voucher system that moves costs to seniors just because you don't like it isn't the answer either.

PS--the cuts in the affordable care act are to insurance companies for middle man fees, not to providers. If you don't believe me, look it up at a credible source (not a tea party blog) and get back to me,

Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
I was born in 59, I'm a little bit of a health nut, I've never smoked, I'm in good shape, but I have a pre existing health condition through no fault of my own. I'm pretty much screwed if Romney/Ryan win this fall. Healthcare is going to cost me a fortune when I retire, and my age group is going to be the guinea pigs that they try out all of these experimental policies on. Great.

Whats wrong with doing what most Ameican retirees did in the 1950s . If you can't afford it you don't see a Doctor and when The Lord's escourt comes to take you to see St Peter at the golden gate you go!

Pre-existing conditions become a mute issue then.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Are you saying that Romney DOESN'T want a voucher plan? Why don't you show me how his plan differentiates from the Ryan plan?

The affordable care act adds about 8 more years on to medicare, but it's going to take some serious, bipartisian discussion to figure out how to fix that system so it's there for the rest of us. Since Ryan is the budget band leader for the do nothing, 10% approval rated Congress, I highly doubt that debate is going to happen as long as he's a leader in the process. I don't think anyone has the answers on how to fix it yet, but completely throwing medicare out the window and going to a voucher system that moves costs to seniors just because you don't like it isn't the answer either.

PS--the cuts in the affordable care act are to insurance companies for middle man fees, not to providers. If you don't believe me, look it up at a credible source (not a tea party blog) and get back to me,
I did look it up. There are cuts to providers as well, especially hospitals.
Readmittance to a hospital will get less reimbursement with each readmittance. Did you know that ?
And seniors are the ones that typically get readmitted for the same problems when their health starts failing.
This readmittance cut goes into force in October this year.

And nothing in Obamacare deals with rising costs which may cut short that 8 years.

FWIW..blogs and MSM editorials are not credible sources because they are writing with a slant.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Whats wrong with doing what most Ameican retirees did in the 1950s . If you can't afford it you don't see a Doctor and when The Lord's escourt comes to take you to see St Peter at the golden gate you go!

Oh gosh--I feel so much better about the whole thing now?

Unfortunately, I think that's exactly the direction that the tea party wants us to move with healthcare. Just let us die if we can't pay the bill entirely on our own...

Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post

This is a perfect example of the direction of our country if the hard-right gains control.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I did look it up. There are cuts to providers as well, especially hospitals.
Readmittance to a hospital will get less reimbursement with each readmittance. Did you know that ?
And seniors are the ones that typically get readmitted for the same problems when their health starts failing.
This readmittance cut goes into force in October this year.

And nothing in Obamacare deals with rising costs which may cut short that 8 years.

FWIW..blogs and MSM editorials are not credible sources because they are writing with a slant.
Did you bother to read WHY the cuts are there for re-admittence? It's to ensure quality of care. It stops hospitals from taking medicare patients and releasing them too soon. If you go back to the hospital within a certain number of days for the same condition, the hospital is penalized--it's an incentive for them to keep medicare patients as long as it takes to figure out what's going on with them, vs. just dumping them back at home.

Now try again, ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies