Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,830,168 times

Advertisements

Without people coming forward and willing to be witnesses, the vast majority of suspects will walk out of a court free and clear. And then you all will scream: The police let him go. The police cannot be everywhere, every second, of every day. We need people to come forward and have the balls to carry it through. Not hide in the woodworks and say, "Its not my job or responsibility." That is the cowards way out; which, is the vast majority of the general public. Cowards.

Well-said, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,739,181 times
you don't go running out there and get shot or stabbed. you yell out the window to let the creep know you see him. then call the cops.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM

657 posts, read 717,462 times
mind your own bussiness. i got stab interferring and long time ago.. the man told me she gave him aids.

just mind your own bussiness please

Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
My dad went out there to yell at this guy beating up his girlfriend, and I told my dad to stay inside and call the cops.

What should you do? Stay inside and call cops or go outside yell at them+call cops?

Thx
I'd probably yell from my window in the deepest voice I could muster, trying to imitate a male voice...and call the cops.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Exactly. And therefore, for criminal justice purposes, your "intervention" is worthless. Yes, worthless. You may have "stopped" the issue for the moment. However, the second you are gone, it will be there again. And again, and again, and again.

Without people coming forward and willing to be witnesses, the vast majority of suspects will walk out of a court free and clear. And then you all will scream: The police let him go. The police cannot be everywhere, every second, of every day. We need people to come forward and have the balls to carry it through. Not hide in the woodworks and say, "Its not my job or responsibility." That is the cowards way out; which, is the vast majority of the general public. Cowards.
My "intervention" would not be for so-called "criminal justice" purposes, just simply to keep another fellow human alive...that's all, and I wouldn't call that "worthless" at all....you might, but not me.....and believe me...no way in h### would I EVER be screaming that the police let him go, and I THANK any gods above that the police AREN'T "everywhere, every second, every day".

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
mind your own bussiness. i got stab interferring and long time ago.. the man told me she gave him aids.

just mind your own bussiness please
It's far more likely that the man gave HER AIDS.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,574,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
And, when they decide to leave and get a restraining order, that's the most dangerous time period of getting hurt or killed. She's dam*ed if she stays and maybe worse if she leaves.
From the victims point of view yes, only someone familiar with DV understands how much worse it can get. Most people think you just pack up and leave and its over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Few, if any domestic violence cases get to the point of a trial. I have testified in court, and have found the entire process quite exhausting, getting there, parking, going thru security, hurry up and wait until called, taking time off of work, sometimes, having to come back the next day...wearing fancy clothes. At least it is now permissable to not wear panty hose in court, and women can wear pants. 30 years ago, it was even worse. And then they ask you all these questions, usually, I document things, so I bring out my day planner...and review my schedule. I am deadly with that thing, I have them back 15 years. I can tell you, who I talked to, on any given day, for the last 15 years, and what the conversation was about.
Only because she gets cold feet, or the prosecution has enough evidence that he takes the plea deal.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,922,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Screw the cops, break it up. The cops will be too long and chances are, the lady will not press charges and end up leaving them both there to continue. I've seen it happen. Break it up and get the offender away from whoever he is beating.
Sounds like a great way to get stabbed or shot.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,061,726 times
If it was on my turf, I would tell them to take it elsewhere. Other than that, I would simply mind my own business.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 AM

349 posts, read 888,184 times
Treat it as you you would any other assault - call the po-po's. Just because they're in a relationship doesn't give either party permission to be doing that. I hate the term "domestic abuse" as if it's different than you been mugged - getting the stuff kicked out of you is against the law, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies