Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,760 times

Advertisements

Call the cops instantly. And, go out to help the lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,579,328 times
I would call 911 and report it, then continue to view it as a witness, but would not attempt to intervene personally. Make sure to give accurate descriptions of both parties to the police and also try to see if a weapon is involved to let them know that as well. I would not go outside until the police have arrived and have stopped the incident. The police will interview you and you can let them know exactly what you witnessed and heard. In some states, if the victim will not press charges on the perpetrator the cops will. I would seriously doubt it would be a first time occurrence and the involved parties have done this to each other before. He will continue to beat her as long as she allows him to, and there are a lot of issues at play here. Domestic violence incidents can escalate quickly and you will put yourself in the line of fire if you try to separate them.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Call the cops then take my gun outside, make sure he saw it without actually pointing it at him, and while standing on my property, tell him to sit his ass down on the curb because some officers are on their way and want to have a little talk with him. This is all quite legal in the state I live in.

Oh, and I'd take the phone out with me and make sure the 9-1-1 operator caught the entire interaction on tape.

Obviously if I could see he was armed with a gun I'd call 9-1-1 and stay inside. A knife? Not worried, I can stay 40 feet away and yell at him to knock it off, as long as I stay on my property I have the right to shoot to kill anyone who approaches me in a threatening manner, especially if they are armed. That's black and white in this state.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,397,841 times
My ex was a police officer, he could tell stories about domestic violence cases, that were just crazy. Once, a woman was beating up her spouse, screaming, cussing, neighbors called the police, he told her to stop beating her husband, she was drunk or something, kept doing it. Then, the guy, being beat up, starts yellling at the police to leave them alone. And both of them, turn on the police.

You just never know what is going on with folks. That is for sure.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,930 times
Exactly, I agree.
Distract the guy, give her a chance to get away.

But he could have a gun.
That's fine because I do have a gun.
I couldn't stand by and watch a man beat a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
What you SHOULD do and what I would actually do, is two different things. Probably should stay inside and call the cops. Me, I'm out the door and in the guy's face, and if they woke me, up...God help him.
I don't get the hide in your home crowd.
by the time the cops arrive she could be dead or seriously hurt.

If it was your daughter wouldn't you want someone to intervene instead your going just let her get beaten and hope for the best.

Then the video it folks.
For what end? proof in a murder trial?
You witnessed it, your testimony is just as good put the camera down or take it with you and do something.
or
Get in your car and turn the lights on drive at him while honking the horn.
do anything but watch while hiding behind the curtains in the safety of your home.

Evil wins when good people stand by.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I had this happen to me, On the sidewalk in front of my house a guy was slapping a women I yelled at them and both told me to mind my own business, only they used profanity to the extreme. I now stay out of it and just call the sheriff.
^^^This.

I've heard stories of a guy stepping in only to be attacked by BOTH of them.

If it's domestic violence and it's just slapping instead of one beating the other with a ball-bat then just call the cops.

If it's just a regular assault then you have to use your own discretion as to how well armed you are vs. them and so forth and just do the best you can.

The general situation is so vague as to be somewhat unanswerable.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:15 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,923,505 times
I wouldn't do anything as it's none of my business.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,825,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Exactly, I agree.
Distract the guy, give her a chance to get away.

But he could have a gun.
That's fine because I do have a gun.
I couldn't stand by and watch a man beat a woman.

I don't get the hide in your home crowd.
by the time the cops arrive she could be dead or seriously hurt.

If it was your daughter wouldn't you want someone to intervene instead your going just let her get beaten and hope for the best.

Then the video it folks.
For what end? proof in a murder trial?
You witnessed it, your testimony is just as good put the camera down or take it with you and do something.
or
Get in your car and turn the lights on drive at him while honking the horn.
do anything but watch while hiding behind the curtains in the safety of your home.

Evil wins when good people stand by.
This ^

Knowing how many guns I have as well, and knowing how racking a shotgun puts the fear of God into anyone... Out I go, then prone the guy out in the middle of the street and wait.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
I wouldn't do anything as it's none of my business.
I think I agree with you.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM

701 posts, read 1,564,726 times
I should be calling the cops, but I'm more than likely going to be running out there with a shovel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies