Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM

26,578 posts, read 14,449,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
And in eight U.S. presidential elections between 1960 and 2000, the candidate with the deeper voice has won the popular vote.
huh?

1960 nixon had the deeper voice
1976 ford had the deeper voice
1988 dukakis had the deeper voice. love him or hate him but you have to admit that ghw bush has a voice that can beach dolphins.
1996 bob dole had the deeper voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
I knew a guy once who deliberately did NOT do what the female GPS voice told him to. I think it gave him a feeling of superiority.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatTheKing View Post
If you have a problem with that, I deeply question your dedication to the American free market system and, therefore, freedom, decency and God. The market has spoken. Freedom.
1. "The Market" is not God and its outcomes are often unwise, impractical, harmful, and even morally wrong (not that the GPS lady is morally wrong).

2. The ubiquity of female voices in the media is not a market thing, but an ideological thing. Yes, businesses can and do buck The Market in their behaviors. Believe it or not, powerful business executives have non-Market influences in their lives which also shape their decisions.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 08-31-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
I love women. Truly, I do, especially their womanliness.

But if I never hear another female voice on radio or television for as long as I live, apart from singing something sweet, I will die a happy man. Sometime in the last ten years women began to take over the media, and now their voices are completely dominant. BBC is the worst offender. And please get the little lady out of my GPS.

Anyone who has spent time in a normal family with children, or even around normal families with children, knows that children respond to their father's voice much differently than they respond to the voice of their mother. This is true from the earliest weeks of life outside the womb. The father's voice carries authority and gravitas, inspires trust, demands respect.

Advertisers and the news media have long found this to be true as well. Until feminism turned media executives into social engineers, male voices were long dominant when authoritative persuasion was the goal. It is known that women, even more than men, respond more positively to the authority of a male voice - particularly a deep male voice.

It has recently been "discovered" through another study that voters prefer male voices as well!

"For nearly every attribute they were asked to rate, participants were significantly more likely to prefer the deeper voice. The only category in which higher voices won? Most Likely to Be Involved in a Government Scandal. (This was, notably, the only negative attribute for which the researchers tested.) In the preface to their study, the researchers noted that the scientific evidence has often favored basses to tenors. Previous studies have found that both men and women find men with deeper voices more attractive and more dominant. And in eight U.S. presidential elections between 1960 and 2000, the candidate with the deeper voice has won the popular vote. In the current study, participants were also asked which version of the voice they would vote for, both in peacetime and wartime. The baritones were the winners. Voters should take this bias into account when they’re in the booth, the authors suggest."

Things started going downhill in this country when male singers started deliberately sounding like women. From Neil Sedaka to the Beach Boys to Michael Jackson, there's definitely something diabolical going on. In "The Passion of the Christ", the devil was portrayed as wickedly androgynous - a profound insight.
My GPS has a function whereby you can change the voice to male or female or OFF.

Maybe you should buy a new GPS.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It used to drive me up a wall to deliberately avoid watching "The View" only to have some nightly news program play clips from it. Doesn't matter if it's the lib women or the conservative woman, or if they are talking about politics or the weather, they all sounded like chickens in the chicken coop to me (and yes I have been around chicken coops). I had to change the channel.

Joy Behar Chicken.WMV - YouTube

Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
WesternPilgrim...

Over the past month or so you've come up with some... ... intriguing topics to share with us, the C-D population.

This, is without doubt, another magnificent espousal.
I think this might be my favorite one. Most of his have been par for the course with regards to his type of thinking. Never before have I heard someone complain about GPS units that use a womanly voice.

e: I'm kind of baked right now and the responses in this thread have had me cracking up for ages

Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Another woman bashing thread by the OP. This time he has to stoop to complain about virtual robotic voices immitating the voice of a woman.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
1. "The Market" is not God and its outcomes are often unwise, impractical, harmful, and even morally wrong (not that the GPS lady is morally wrong).
Since you seem to believe you have the inside line on morality, I'm still waiting to hear just who/what you believe determines whether a religion is a 'true' or a 'false' (as you have alleged about Mormonism) one?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
I think most women are very happy to keep their distance from the OP as much as possible. In fact I think all females everywhere should agree to stay away him including all girl babies, children, teens and any female animals.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:33 AM

629 posts, read 946,344 times
Quote:
I love women. Truly, I do, especially their womanliness.

But if I never hear another female voice on radio or television for as long as I live, apart from singing something sweet, I will die a happy man. Sometime in the last ten years women began to take over the media, and now their voices are completely dominant. BBC is the worst offender. And please get the little lady out of my GPS.
You're in luck now, you can get Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Yoda, or Darth Vader voices for your Garmin GPS

Garmin | Voices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies