Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think we went over this. People choose a doctor that is poor because many don't know any better. And in this case, the "quality control" comes in after enough damage is done to such an extent that it is brought to somebody's attention. A little late when you are talking about life and death. If there was better branding, maybe. If you want to let optometrists do laser surgery, or nurse anesthetists give anesthesia without supervision, that is another story. People can choose between going to an MD or an optometrist or nurse anesthetist, as long as they know they are not getting an MD. At least they are making an informed decision. But lowering the bar among MD's is another story. And if there is the free market that you so crave, why should MD's not be able to decide their own minimum standard? Why should they not be able to decide, "We want to be the best brand."

These are two different arguments. In one, I can see some merit. In the other, I can't.
The issue, then, is education for the population, not restrictions on a medical system. Obviously you see no merits in what I am saying - you are ignoring the dramatic downfalls that the current system is causing. You are also ignoring the damage caused by misdiagnosis, mistakes made by overworked doctors, people who cannot afford medical care and never pursue treatment. Your system right now is causing a LOT of death/harm to the individual.

Why are you comfortable ignoring those problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
If this is true, it is scary to me. If this is true, why do you not seek a higher standard in your own profession?
Because creating artificial "feel good" guilds are the signs of anti-free market liberal paranoia.

Anyone who wants to create their own SW development group is perfectly fine to. In fact, IEEE, ACM, AAAI, etc are just such groups. But, there isn't a central organization with the help of government that restricts practice in a field. It's anti-American for such a group to exist.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The issue, then, is education for the population, not restrictions on a medical system. Obviously you see no merits in what I am saying - you are ignoring the dramatic downfalls that the current system is causing. You are also ignoring the damage caused by misdiagnosis, mistakes made by overworked doctors, people who cannot afford medical care and never pursue treatment. Your system right now is causing a LOT of death/harm to the individual.

Why are you comfortable ignoring those problems?
I'm not. I'm not sure you are reading my posts. We are already in the process of opening new medical schools to relieve those burdens. And I am all for that. At the same time, your Hollywood Upstairs Medical College is an extreme that will only make matters worse, not better. You can't just put an MD after anybody's name who asks for it of the reasons I have already listed. The quack that was shooting home depot silicon in women's rear ends would be the first person to sign up at Hollywood.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Because creating artificial "feel good" guilds are the signs of anti-free market liberal paranoia.

Anyone who wants to create their own SW development group is perfectly fine to. In fact, IEEE, ACM, AAAI, etc are just such groups. But, there isn't a central organization with the help of government that restricts practice in a field. It's anti-American for such a group to exist.
So what is stopping evil groups of software developers from shutting down the power grids and launching a few ICBMs?

I am willing to bet it is safeguards that take effect BEFORE it happens. You tell me how to do this in medicine without strict acedemic requirements and we will both get rich.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
I'm not. I'm not sure you are reading my posts. We are already in the process of opening new medical schools to relieve those burdens. And I am all for that. At the same time, your Hollywood Upstairs Medical College is an extreme that will only make matters worse, not better. You can't just put an MD after anybody's name who asks for it of the reasons I have already listed. The quack that was shooting home depot silicon in women's rear ends would be the first person to sign up at Hollywood.
Let's take this a little slower. What will happen to that quack (as well as the school) after people realize the quality they use?

There is a bit of pain initially no matter what system changes are enacted. Isn't short term pain worth long term economic viability in a system?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
So what is stopping evil groups of software developers from shutting down the power grids and launching a few ICBMs?
Risk of lawsuits in the case of the independent contractor and the employers that hire them.

Quote:
I am willing to bet it is safeguards that take effect BEFORE it happens. You tell me how to do this in medicine without strict acedemic requirements and we will both get rich.
Why can't the employer or customer request such requirements? Why does government have to get involved?Why do you believe that you are a special snowflake?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:

Why can't the employer or customer request such requirements? Why does government have to get involved? Why do you believe that you are a special snowflake?
I think you may not realize the difference between government licensing doctors and medical specialty societies requiring certain qualifications for membership.

Board certification implies a certain level of training and expertise. The government has nothing to do with it.

Licensing (in the US, by the states) also implies a certain level of training, but usually less than what may be asked for board certification. You can get a license in Georgia with only one year of training after medical school.

Both help to keep people from ordering a diploma over the internet and calling themselves doctors.

Licenses provide a level of protection for the public, whether the licensee is a physician or an electrician. Otherwise, you are working blind when you try to choose someone to perform a service for you.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think you may not realize the difference between government licensing doctors and medical specialty societies requiring certain qualifications for membership.

Board certification implies a certain level of training and expertise. The government has nothing to do with it.

Licensing (in the US, by the states) also implies a certain level of training, but usually less than what may be asked for board certification. You can get a license in Georgia with only one year of training after medical school.

Both help to keep people from ordering a diploma over the internet and calling themselves doctors.

Licenses provide a level of protection for the public, whether the licensee is a physician or an electrician. Otherwise, you are working blind when you try to choose someone to perform a service for you.
All of this is easily circumvented by going abroad for procedures. Are you wanting to make that illegal?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
All of this is easily circumvented by going abroad for procedures. Are you wanting to make that illegal?
Would you go to a doctor in a foreign country who was not in some way vetted by the medical system in that country?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Given our health care costs and the possible destruction by the Republican zealots many people go outside the country because they cannot afford to have the procedure done near home. The difference between medical system and other purchases is simple. A customer can put off buying a replacement car part for some time by a sick human usually cannot. In the first case delayed purchase creates an inconvenience but in the second it can create death.

The health care system is not amenable to economic analysis appropriate for the consumer products industry. Bad health care can get you dead while bad consumer product most of the time only results in lost money and useless junk. The price competition model does not work in healthcare.

As health care as currently practiced in this country costs more than most people can afford the first thing to do is cut costs by eliminating wasteful practices like using private profit driven insurance companies to process the paper work. That task is much more suited to the government because they are good at collecting and disbursing money and nobody get paid private sector executive salaries and bonuses. We need to train our direct care people like nurses and doctors very well but the hospital administrator is just an overpaid clerk. As the ability to pay is not a good indicator of potential medical skill we also need to revise the way we pay for training medical personnel. Just as private insurance companies are the most costly way of paying for procedures using private sector loans is the most expensive way to pay for training. These should also be a government function. My suggestion is the government pays for med school and forgives the loan if the person remains in medicine or place a permanent rate increase on the person’s income tax if they decide to leave medicine for another profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies