Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,758,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is expanding government POWER not government agencies necessarily. You really needed that distinction pointed out.

No, the racial profile stuff is all over many police departments.
Well at the local level the racial profiling is brought on by the patterns of the demographics of the people arrested. It is what it is.

As far as marriage..get rid of civil unions altogether. Two people want to join up then get married in a Church. If they want legal protection then get a lawyer to draw up a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,318,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Well those self rghteous ones who are able bodied are just as bad..... his plan goes after those folks as well you know

You are working to hard on this...... it is a basic outline..... and it a better plan than any Dem or Rep has had in awhile

Nobody said that all food stamp folks are bad..... just the ones who abuse it..... and yes, I am the first one who complains about the big fish getting welfare (they call them bailouts) so I never protect the so called "wealthy"

Anyways, carry on
Oh so he is suggesting cutting all government programs? I never read nor hear conservatives admit that those Americans who participate in 401k plans, employer provided healthcare, or the mortgage tax deduction are sucking at the government trough and using government programs.

I didn't read that at all. He is focused like conservatives always focus on the paltry government benefits of those people.

Again, for conservatives it is always some fantasy poor person who is abusing the "system" that they can't stand, much like voter fraud, these fantasies are then used to support enacting policies that specifically hurt certain groups of people while ignoring others. Usually people conservatives don't like and who they believe are bad and destroying the nation, and blah, blah, blah.

It is this intense dislike of millions of other Americans that motivates 99% of conservative outrage at government spending. Even though this spending is minuscule by comparison to the huge government programs they love like military spending, social security, medicare, medicaid, military vet benefits, unemployment benefits, etc.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,377,824 times
Quote:
Sorry, I thought you were being like that based on the ideology .....
I'm "being like that" based on his posting history and based on the fact that I disagree with him ideologically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Can't be any worse than the gaggle we've had in the White House for the last few decades.
While I'm certainly no fan of the gaggle, I certainly wouldn't be willing to bet 4 years on that.

Will you be eating beans and rice with powdered milk while living off of tax payer money while in the White House?

Will you be living in the White House or a military barracks? Will either be subject to random inspections?

Will you be being tested for drug, alcohol and tobacco use?

Is what's good for the geese also good for the gander?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,085,479 times
Quote:
Oh so he is suggesting cutting all government programs? I never read nor hear conservatives admit that those Americans who participate in 401k plans, employer provided healthcare, or the mortgage tax deduction are sucking at the government trough and using government programs.

I didn't read that at all. He is focused like conservatives always focus on the paltry government benefits of those people.

Again, for conservatives it is always some fantasy poor person who is abusing the "system" that they can't stand, much like voter fraud, these fantasies are then used to support enacting policies that specifically hurt certain groups of people while ignoring others. Usually people conservatives don't like and who they believe are bad and destroying the nation, and blah, blah, blah.

It is this intense dislike of millions of other Americans that motivates 99% of conservative outrage at government spending. Even though this spending is minuscule by comparison to the huge government programs they love like military spending, social security, medicare, medicaid, military vet benefits, unemployment benefits, etc.
There you go with the all or nothing hyperbole of Dems and Reps..... jeez... give it a rest.... cutting does not mean eliminating..... reform is what is needed, not elimination...... from the top down, I might add

So, you really believe that nobody takes advantage of the system?

I KNOW you didn't read it..... either that or you saw what you wanted to see in it.......

Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well at the local level the racial profiling is brought on by the patterns of the demographics of the people arrested. It is what it is.

As far as marriage..get rid of civil unions altogether. Two people want to join up then get married in a Church. If they want legal protection then get a lawyer to draw up a contract.
No, it is a violation of the constitution to racially profile, but I know for constitution loving conservatives violating the civil rights of those people is just a minor problem. It represents a scary expansion of police power, that true small government types would be against, but since conservatives perceive that the groups of people who will suffer are groups of people they don't like, they favor expanding government power to hurt that group of people.

I don't care about gay marriage. The reality is that the small government conservatives want to EXPAND federal government power to prevent states from allowing gay marriage period.

Those small government conservatives are always more than willing to expand government power when they perceive that it will hurt the groups of people they don't like.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
There you go with the all or nothing hyperbole of Dems and Reps..... jeez... give it a rest.... cutting does not mean eliminating..... reform is what is needed, not elimination...... from the top down, I might add

So, you really believe that nobody takes advantage of the system?

I KNOW you didn't read it..... either that or you saw what you wanted to see in it.......
Welfare was already reformed. It is a tiny program that involves right now 2.7 million families are extremely poor. There is a 5 year time limit. Why the does this paltry amount of families using welfare upset conservatives so much, that they keep wanting to reform it.

I don't believe in much of anything. Name the situation that someone doesn't take advantage of? Yet, conservatives aren't out riling against everything that someone could take advantage of.

So the question remains why does the thought of some poor person gaming the system so upset conservatives? That's right because conservatives have an intense dislike of millions of other Americans this is what motivates their poor people obsession.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,268,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Will you be eating beans and rice with powdered milk while living off of tax payer money while in the White House?

Will you be living in the White House or a military barracks? Will either be subject to random inspections?

Will you be being tested for drug, alcohol and tobacco use?

Is what's good for the geese also good for the gander?
Is the person in the White House working? ---- YES

Do people on welfare or otherwise freeload off of society contribute to society? ---- NO

What's good for the geese also good for the gander works when comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, obviously not the case here....

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,377,824 times
Quote:
Is the person in the White House working? ---- YES

Do people on welfare or otherwise freeload off of society contribute to society? ---- NO

What's good for the geese also good for the gander works when comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, obviously not the case here....
But you said
Quote:
In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you.
It appears that both the apples and the oranges will be working. So, will you be beholden to the same requirements?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,085,479 times
Quote:
Welfare was already reformed. It is a tiny program that involves right now 2.7 million families are extremely poor. There is a 5 year time limit. Why the does this paltry amount of families using welfare upset conservatives so much, that they keep wanting to reform it.

I don't believe in much of anything. Name the situation that someone doesn't take advantage of? Yet, conservatives aren't out riling against everything that someone could take advantage of.

So the question remains why does the thought of some poor person gaming the system so upset conservatives? That's right because conservatives have an intense dislike of millions of other Americans this is what motivates their poor people obsession.

There you go again..... dude.... do you really listen to yourself? All you are doing is reciting the same Dem talking points

This is not a Dem or Rep focus we are on..... I notice you conveniently ignored my saying we need to cut out welfare for the rich too....

Why does the thought of fixing broken things upset you so much? Why do you keep repeating the same lies over and over that everyone else who is not strictly the same as you ideologically must be filled with hate?

It is because you are a partisan and you can't think logically.... that is why

I am done with you since it is useless to argue with the irrational

Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
There you go again..... dude.... do you really listen to yourself? All you are doing is reciting the same Dem talking points

This is not a Dem or Rep focus we are on..... I notice you conveniently ignored my saying we need to cut out welfare for the rich too....

Why does the thought of fixing broken things upset you so much? Why do you keep repeating the same lies over and over that everyone else who is not strictly the same as you ideologically must be filled with hate?

It is because you are a partisan and you can't think logically.... that is why

I am done with you since it is useless to argue with the irrational
You think enacting public policy with the express purpose of humiliating people is fixing something.

Fixing things would involve fixing our schools, improving the pay of millions of jobs, improving the skills of millions of workers, being committed as a society to making sure working people have a living wage.

Anything short of that is just more of this fake focus on nothing. Welfare works fine. What is there to correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies