Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,580,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Many have readily bought into the myth of the "vast minority coalition". Truth is, most non-black minorities know their way around the American racial dichotomy quite well, and realize that ultimate social acceptance in America often hinges on the degree to which they are able distance themselves from the black region of that dichotomy. Ironically enough, whenever the need arises for them to advocate for things like equality and justice vis-a-vis their people, they almost always rely on the American black struggle to lend this advocacy moral legitimacy and support.

The conflicting notion that they are for the most part removed from the slavery/Jim crow narrative while at the same time trudging along in the same "boat of oppression" as blacks is probably a large part of what allows them to believe they are free to be unapologetically outspoken in their criticism and even bias against black Americans.
Excellent post!

This was so perfectly stated that the thread can now officially be closed.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,375,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Many have readily bought into the myth of the "vast minority coalition". Truth is, most non-black minorities know their way around the American racial dichotomy quite well, and realize that ultimate social acceptance in America often hinges on the degree to which they are able distance themselves from the black region of that dichotomy. Ironically enough, whenever the need arises for them to advocate for things like equality and justice vis-a-vis their people, they almost always rely on the American black struggle to lend this advocacy moral legitimacy and support.

The conflicting notion that they are for the most part removed from the slavery/Jim crow narrative while at the same time trudging along in the same "boat of oppression" as blacks is probably a large part of what allows them to believe they are free to be unapologetically outspoken in their criticism and even bias against black Americans.
Preach, brother.

+1

Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,186,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
I was talking to a group of black friends about racism and discrimination and they told me something interesting. The popular perception is that most of the negative reaction towards black people is from racist White people. They say this is not true. Instead, the worst racism is from other people of color. Dark Skinned Blacks are openly discriminated against by light skinned blacks but perhaps the most racist group is Asian immigrants. They were never taught to be politically correct or sensitive and racism is quite common in their old countries. As more and more of American population comes from Asia and the Middle East African Americans will experience more racism that is quite blantent and extreme.

What can be done about immigrants who treat African Americans with contempt?
My thoughts:

I know all about the light skin/dark skin tension that exists among some Black people. I personally never understood it. There's beauty in all shades as far as I'm concerned. I'm somewhere in the middle, but I guess to a darker skinned Black person, I'm probably no different than someone the the complexion of say, Lionel Richie. I've never faced discrimination of any sort from dark-skinned Blacks though. At least not in my face. That kind of prejudice is really dumb to me.

I've never experienced discrimination from Asians either. I've had Asian friends and dated Asian girls. I've never met an Asian (American-born or immigrant) that looked down at me. Mind you, what people say when you're not around, you'll never know.

Generally, my only experiences with racism have been with White people, but it doesn't happen very often at all. Usually, it occurs when for some reason or another, I'm in a very small remote town in the Midwest or the South. I've never been in a situation where I feared for my life though.

It's also important to note that I have faced some discrimination from some dumb Blacks, but not over the shade of my skin. It's generally been idiots who have false notions of what is and isn't "Black". I don't live in the ghetto (I grew up in it though). I'm not really into rap music. I'm rather nerdy actually. And don't get me started on religion. Black people are overdosed on religion. The second I declare that I don't believe there is any invisible man in the sky, I'm automatically "White". It's really dumb. I refuse to change though to satisfy other people.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,602,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
My thoughts:

I know all about the light skin/dark skin tension that exists among some Black people. I personally never understood it. There's beauty in all shades as far as I'm concerned. I'm somewhere in the middle, but I guess to a darker skinned Black person, I'm probably no different than someone the the complexion of say, Lionel Richie. I've never faced discrimination of any sort from dark-skinned Blacks though. At least not in my face. That kind of prejudice is really dumb to me.

I've never experienced discrimination from Asians either. I've had Asian friends and dated Asian girls. I've never met an Asian (American-born or immigrant) that looked down at me. Mind you, what people say when you're not around, you'll never know.

Generally, my only experiences with racism have been with White people, but it doesn't happen very often at all. Usually, it occurs when for some reason or another, I'm in a very small remote town in the Midwest or the South. I've never been in a situation where I feared for my life though.

It's also important to note that I have faced some discrimination from some dumb Blacks, but not over the shade of my skin. It's generally been idiots who have false notions of what is and isn't "Black". I don't live in the ghetto (I grew up in it though). I'm not really into rap music. I'm rather nerdy actually. And don't get me started on religion. Black people are overdosed on religion. The second I declare that I don't believe there is any invisible man in the sky, I'm automatically "White". It's really dumb. I refuse to change though to satisfy other people.
Thing is black people do not on as color struck as we used to!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM

73,180 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The only ones calling successful non-ghetto type blacks as sellouts or "Uncle Toms" are the non-successful ghetto type blacks. I have never heard any non-black person put down a successful non-ghetto black as a sellout or "Uncle Tom". Really, truly.

And that especially goes for Asians and whites imo. Having a good education and behaving like a civilized person is what it takes to be successful and productive in life. Behaving, looking and talking like street trash/gangsta thug is a loser lifestyle, no matter what ones skin colour is. So there is no reason at all for non-blacks to want to be around thuggie acting blacks, we would greatly prefer to be in contact with only the "sellout" and "Uncle Tom" type of black person, so why would we insult them for being the kind of blacks we want them to be?
I've had a slightly different experience. I've been called names that equate to "sell out" by some Black people. And it was mostly "hood rat" wannabes. However, I've been subjected to name calling by some White people. In fact, when I was in college(I've since graduated), a few White kids were constantly making "Carlton Banks" comments about me.

There might not be any reason to want to be around ANYONE who acts thuggish, no matter what race. However, my experiences with some young people have shown me otherwise. A friend of my explained it like this(he happened to be a White male from California).

He basically said some of these people are used to dealing with Black people who speak ghetto, act ghetto, and when they see that I dress nicely, speak proper English, and carry myself they way I do, some people don't know how to react to it because I'm a Black male and I don't live up to what they expect. His basic message was just to be me and forget them.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,186,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've had a slightly different experience. I've been called names that equate to "sell out" by some Black people. And it was mostly "hood rat" wannabes. However, I've been subjected to name calling by some White people. In fact, when I was in college(I've since graduated), a few White kids were constantly making "Carlton Banks" comments about me.

There might not be any reason to want to be around ANYONE who acts thuggish, no matter what race. However, my experiences with some young people have shown me otherwise. A friend of my explained it like this(he happened to be a White male from California).

He basically said some of these people are used to dealing with Black people who speak ghetto, act ghetto, and when they see that I dress nicely, speak proper English, and carry myself they way I do, some people don't know how to react to it because I'm a Black male and I don't live up to what they expect. His basic message was just to be me and forget them.
Great post! I've had some similar experiences with ignorant Black people. Fortunately though, I've also met some very intelligent Blacks that I had much in common with.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,602,679 times
Quote:

When I went to a mostly white school in New York I had many white people who asked me "Why I did not talk like other black people", "Why I was not as loud as other black people", "Why rap music was not my favorite music". I have had more white people tell me I act "white" than black people. So their go's miu's myth that only black people do it!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,944,559 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Great post! I've had some similar experiences with ignorant Black people. Fortunately though, I've also met some very intelligent Blacks that I had much in common with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
When I went to a mostly white school in New York I had many white people who asked me "Why I did not talk like other black people", "Why I was not as loud as other black people", "Why rap music was not my favorite music". I have had more white people tell me I act "white" than black people. So their go's miu's myth that only black people do it!
Agreed. Most people look at other people and "profile" in their minds and when things don't "fit"; those people are rattled.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,375,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Most people look at other people and "profile" in their minds and when things don't "fit"; those people are rattled.

And just think about how that could be avoided if people simply cared enough to educate themselves. Never in my life have I ever asked someone why they don't act White, Asian, Latino, etc.

I doubt that many would see me as the type who didn't act black, but I have overheard someone say that I was "nice, for a black guy". I fought every urge to shove my foot up their tail, as I thought about how much I liked not being in prison.

People just talk too damn much. That's one of society's biggest problems.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,656,269 times
I'm African-American and in my opinion most racism in this country is from other African-Americans. I've come to the conclusion that blacks in this country are just all around ignorant and racist. And they think it's okay. It's definitely the majority of AA who are like this. The minority - like me - are the smart and intelligent ones. The rest are filled with issues and I simply do not care to make excuses for them. A grown adult has no business acting like they do towards other races. Especially whites. White hatred is very very high in the black community. They cry racism all the time and act like the victims. But they make movies, tv shows, and music with anti-white blatantly racist comments and it's sickening. I've had it up to here with blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies