Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
nighttrain, what percentage of your income do you personally give to charity, and how many hours per week do you volunteer?
Ayn Rand had the best advise when she was asked, how will Objectivism/Libertarianism support the poor? Her advise was very simple: 'Make sure you're not one of them'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Private charity is a very fundamental principle in a true free market economy.

Also, you have ignored my question twice so far. How much of your personal money and time do you personally give to the poor right now? What I am hearing is you want the government to provide for the poor with other people's money, but you refuse to give any of your own to help people in need? You sound pretty d*mn selfish to me.
did I say that I don't give at all. the point you are trying to make is irrelevant because I said tha people will pitch in, but not enough to help all those in need. I live a very good life, and I'm not crying when I see taxes get taken out that go to help others. you guys just simply hate government as whole.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
did I say that I don't give at all. the point you are trying to make is irrelevant because I said tha people will pitch in, but not enough to help all those in need. I live a very good life, and I'm not crying when I see taxes get taken out that go to help others. you guys just simply hate government as whole.
nighttrain, I am not asking how many taxes are taken out to help the poor. I am asking what you personally do to help them. It seems you care greatly about those less fortunate than yourself. Do you actually care enough to do something about it, or do you want to sit on your a** and let someone else (aka, government) do something? If your opinion is the second, then YOU are personally contributing the the problem you are complaining about.

Shame on you.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
I think people will pitch in, just not enough to help all those in need.

nighttrain... I truly believe God helps those who are willing to help themselves. I'm willing to help people in need. There are many who are working hard out there that just can't get ahead, and I'd be willing to help those people all day! They're doing something to try and help themselves! I'm willing to help the sick, the elderly, and those who are disabled, as they truly need it! What I do not want to continue to do is to give my hard earned money to those who abuse the system, and sit on their a***es all day expecting a handout, or continue to enable those who have been on the dole spanning generations! Nor do I want to continue with the corporate welfare and bailing out big businesses who made poor decisons yet get rewarded for it at the taxpayer's expense! Furthermore, as for social security, I've been paying into it since I started working at age 16, and have been FORCED to do so! By the time I retire, it may not be there! So, then give me my money back! Let me invest it in the way I see fit!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
no, those are just called rules, which brings me back to my point that libertarians just don't want rules at all. There is nothing that stops you from opening a liquor store, or selling cars, or cigarettes, or opening a bar, ya'll just don't like rules.

Rules are fine! Excessive regulation is not!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Explain to me where we're wrong! We have programs on tv that serve nothing but in completely dumbing down society! The lamestream media sensationalizes everything! Had the pleasure last night in flipping through the channels and came across Faux News and it was like watching a Jerry Springer Show. They were debating the recent events in Libya and Egypt! The participants instead taking turns in the proper way of having a debate where I talk, then you offer a rebuttal was completely absent, and it was nothing but trying to one up, or out shout each other. After 5 minutes I changed the channel, as I thought that my head was going to explode watching it! Social interaction has gone down, because people would rather text, than actually have a normal conversation! If you try to strike up a conversation with a stranger, they look at you with this taken aback look like "why are you talking to me?" Both parties are knee deep in this crap in the Middle East under the guise of "humanitarian aide" and "spreading democracy" while the nanny state here continues to grow, and the government further butts into our personal lives telling us how to think, what we can eat, drink or smoke. Both parties continue to pander to the rich fat cat banksters who continue to sell America's middle class down the river!

Yeah, but we're the ones who are kooks?
let me see if I got this straight, libertarianism is great for society because you don't like reality tv, saw a debate on fox news that you didn't like, and because you tried to talk to a random stranger and because we are dealing an issue in the middle east. You also hate the government because they put rules in place. Yep, I agree, were the morons and liberatarians are completely rational.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
nighttrain, I am not asking how many taxes are taken out to help the poor. I am asking what you personally do to help them. It seems you care greatly about those less fortunate than yourself. Do you actually care enough to do something about it, or do you want to sit on your a** and let someone else (aka, government) do something? If your opinion is the second, then YOU are personally contributing the the problem you are complaining about.

Shame on you.
did you just completely ignore my post. I give to the poor, just like millions of citizens do. What I'm saying is, you guys are nuts if you think everybody in this country who is in need of extra help can be simply supported by charitable giving of the free will of people with no government intervention.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
let me see if I got this straight, libertarianism is great for society because you don't like reality tv, saw a debate on fox news that you didn't like, and because you tried to talk to a random stranger and because we are dealing an issue in the middle east. You also hate the government because they put rules in place. Yep, I agree, were the morons and liberatarians are completely rational.

Show me where I'm wrong in that reality tv is complete and utter garbage! Not to mention most of the music that is out there 2012! You do realize that people can be easily influenced by what they see on tv and hear on the radio! Show me where I'm wrong that the lamestream media networks don't on a nightly basis sensationalize everything! I used Fox as an example because I just happened to be passing through the channels, but it happens in on ALL of the cable news networks! That's not news! That's crap! It makes the Jerry Springer Show look like a documentary! Show me where I'm wrong about more and more people nowadays have their nose buried in their smartphone and their thumbs moving a mile a minute, instead of actually having a viable and meaningful conversation! As for the middle east, show me where our foreign policy isn't a big reason for what is happening over there!

And I wasn't calling you a moron personally, but there are a lot of people out there that have their heads buried in the sand!

But if you want to watch reality tv, cool! It's America, don't let me stop you! I don't believe in censorship! But I do believe in changing the channel, and I do believe it serves as nothing but dumbing down society!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Libertarians have a penchant to be more illogical than rational. Even if something makes sense, they oppose it just because it's not aligned with their ideology. That's cultish behavior. Hence, people pay it no mind.
The same can be said for liberals and republicans.

Can't wait to switch to Independent and get away from all the lunatics.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
did you just completely ignore my post. I give to the poor, just like millions of citizens do. What I'm saying is, you guys are nuts if you think everybody in this country who is in need of extra help can be simply supported by charitable giving of the free will of people with no government intervention.
Why do you say that? What shred of evidence do you have?

You are nuts if you think that going deeper and deeper into debt to fund social programs is remotely a good idea. Tell me, would you feed every homeless guy by charging your credit card if you had remotely no plan on how to pay it back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies