Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Kids are gonna be scared to even talk soon. Maybe that is the goal to keep em all quiet since the ridilin they try and drug em all up on isn't doing the job?

"Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day. Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.
“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.
“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”
Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,” the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.
Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance."

http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/9-...rum-for-equity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Get rid of anything that portrays "White privilege" ?

Are there that many immigrants in our schools that everyday American, not "White", acts shouldn't be mentioned ?
I wonder what she says about saying the Pledge every day.....

Sounds more to me like globalism.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM

635 posts, read 539,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Kids are gonna be scared to even talk soon. Maybe that is the goal to keep em all quiet since the ridilin they try and drug em all up on isn't doing the job?

"Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day. Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.
“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.
“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”
Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,” the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.
Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance."

I read the whole article, that lady is the poster child for what's wrong with affirmative action, and also a poster child for reverse discrimination... She almost seems like a caricature.

Last edited by qr5667; 09-11-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Then those students can bring their own sandwich! Not hard is it? Different strokes for different folks! For the record to this day I cannot eat pbj or balogna sandwiches as my mom packed those for me everyday!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
great googly moogly. this pc stupidity seemingly has no bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Get rid of anything that portrays "White privilege" ?
yeah. like mentioning sandwiches in class

Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM

876 posts, read 709,254 times
Peanutbutter sanwiches is a "white privilege". Ok?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I was praying this was satire....

Using a PBJ sandwich as an example is subtle racism?

All I know for sure is if THIS is how they intend to help kids do better in school, they are very very lucky they work for a non-competitive monopoly where they can keep their jobs no matter how crappy the kids do.

I've thought of going into teaching after I retire, but right there would have been my last day on the job working for those damned fools. Those kids deserve better. Grrrrr.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Peanutbutter sanwiches is a "white privilege". Ok?
I guess with the price of peanut butter today it is now an elite privilege only affordable to the 1%.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
great googly moogly. this pc stupidity seemingly has no bottom.

yeah. like mentioning sandwiches in class
Oh sure, just strut around the place eating that PBJ sandwich Richy Rich.

Seriously though, doesn't anyone find it ironic that the underprivledged kids are probably getting lunch assistance and as such are eating generic american cafeteria fare for 1-2 meals per day regardless of their background?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
A lot of the kooks have migrated out of Cali up north I think. They have destroyed one state so on to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies