Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times

Advertisements

White privilege? Who are we kidding? Does some person living in a run down trailer park who can not afford a dentist or doctor a privileged person? Getting tired of this focus on "whites"- They are abused and neglected just like anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I take more umbrage at being lumped in with Somali's who were even able to practice with a somewhat functioning AnCap, than I do with references to peanut butter sandwiches. But, it isn't like bread does not exist in either place, even if peanut butter may not be as popular there as it is here.
I'll betcha they don't celebrate "Talk like a Pirate Day" at that school

The Official site for International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19

Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Would you feel any differently if you were from Hamburg?
No - while the Hamburger as a meal originated in poor US port areas as a cheap food for German immigrant workers, the current Hamburger bears little resemblance to the original. It simply shares a name with the city of Hamburg - but that's pretty much the only relation between the two.

Thus, being from Hamburg wouldn't make me feel any different than a guy from Vienna would feel about Wienerschnitzel (Wienerschnitzel - Premium Hot Dogs and Sausages - Derlicious).

Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Fluff???? You get fluff????

Where does that leave me with my bananas????
Uh oh....mentioning bananas might be racist "code". We are going to need to check your party affiliation before we call you racist though.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Uh oh....mentioning bananas might be racist "code". We are going to need to check your party affiliation before we call you racist though.
Yes. Bananas = Banana Republic = Some disenfranchised African (or Central American) nation = People of Color = Racism.

Gotcha!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Yes. Bananas = Banana Republic = Some disenfranchised African (or Central American) nation = People of Color = Racism.

Gotcha!
In all seriousness, bananas have been used by racist groups to insult Obama. (Monkey reference)

So even the slightest reference to bananas is risky at best around this forum.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Have any of you looked at the ethnic makeup of the student body in that school. 50% Hispanic, 15% black, 9% Asian so I suppose the white kids must make up 26%. There is no wonder they are pushing the kids of color, or whatever, but it seems to me that the white kids need something and PBJ would be just that since most of the black kids would surely eat them along with most of the Hispanics. Now as for a drum line or whatever they are doing with the drums, everybody knows that the 15% blacks would be best at that.

when I read that article I immediately thought of one of my favorite movies, Drumline. I love the music in that movie. And yes, there was one white kid in that one drumline. He played bass drum and pretty darned well to beat out black kids.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No - while the Hamburger as a meal originated in poor US port areas as a cheap food for German immigrant workers, the current Hamburger bears little resemblance to the original. It simply shares a name with the city of Hamburg - but that's pretty much the only relation between the two.

Thus, being from Hamburg wouldn't make me feel any different than a guy from Vienna would feel about Wienerschnitzel (Wienerschnitzel - Premium Hot Dogs and Sausages - Derlicious).
You certainly don't sound like a Hamburger. When I arrived in Germany (Bavaria) I got the normal trick pulled on me when the others took me to a cafe and ordered vienerschnitzel and it turned out to be veal fried like we fry our meat here with breading on it. I loved that stuff and never ate, on the economy as we called it, without a big piece of vienereschnitzel. When I heard that many Bavarians prefer unborn veal I had a problem till I ate some of it. That age of beef just melts in your mouth.

Now back to ethnic discussion.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Gotcha!
Some would consider throwing bananas into this discussion as something very racist since most of our bananas come from south of our border.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Kids are gonna be scared to even talk soon. Maybe that is the goal to keep em all quiet since the ridilin they try and drug em all up on isn't doing the job?

"Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day. Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.
“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.
“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”
Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,” the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.
Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance."

http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/9-...rum-for-equity
Self-hating, bigots, that's all these people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies