Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,336,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Public sector unions are necessary to prevent wholesale firing when the new guy is elected and need space for all of his cronies. Somebody that knows how to run the water works or fix the train regardless of political affiliation is a good idea.
You may have a point. But how do we keep the politicians from negotiating more for the public sector union than the government can afford, just so he gets their vote?

In the NYC suburbs a 2nd grade teacher earns $115,000 plus benefits with 10 weeks off in the summer, 18 paid holidays, and 10 paid sick days. They also get tenure so they can't be fired. Do you have any problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
When I was a kid they were pushing, like now, for skilled scientists and engineers. They never said that the economy would never pay these people as much a lawyers, salesmen or even mid level executives. Why should anyone bother to take the time, energy and effort to be good at science, engineering or even a skilled trade when you will never get paid really well and you may be replaced by a H1b legal immigrant whenever your wage becomes too high to please Microsoft? Or your job and your company are out sourced to a Chinese company using slave labor? These are the realities of current employment.

Some of you suggest getting another job. Do you mean taking another job every time you need to catch up with inflation? Don’t you realize the potential new employers will consider you a “job hopper” and not hire you no matter how good you are? Do you want to leave your pension behind? Do you even have a pension? Do you really want to be a free lance consultant?

Wally, in a Dilbert cartoon, had the right idea. Become indispensable to your employer, only work behind the scenes and keep your head down until you can collect a decent pension. Then retire and suck on that pension fund until you die.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
riko... - considering how much it costs to live and buy a house in a NTC suburb $115 k is not all that much money. Most teachers have to attend classes in the summer at their own cost so that three month vacation does not exist. Tenure is a protection from administrations firing people at random when the regime changes. Besides teachers are locked into a classroom filled with 10 kids wanting to learn and 20 kids that would rather be anywhere else. Even that much money, although more than I make now, is not nearly enough to make me want to be a teacher in an NYC suburb or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Who is guaranteeing that the next job will be better? The "real world" you get a job and if you don't like it you go find another one or if you really have to keep that job you suck it up and work there till you can change your situation. At least that is how I've lived my life in the "real world". Some jobs I've liked but the pay wasn't what I wanted and I moved. Some jobs I haven't like so I left. Many diffferent situations. One job a guy they hired showed up a couple months later wearing a dress and HR told everybody to deal with it. WE ALL LEFT. See how that works? LOL

As for "skilled workers" we don't have enough. I work in IT. That is why I can jump around form job to job if I find one I don't like or they don't compensate me accordingly. There are IT jobs all over. Why is that? Not enough skilled workers. You offshore your call center help. That is not a high skilled job.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid they were pushing, like now, for skilled scientists and engineers. They never said that the economy would never pay these people as much a lawyers, salesmen or even mid level executives. Why should anyone bother to take the time, energy and effort to be good at science, engineering or even a skilled trade when you will never get paid really well and you may be replaced by a H1b legal immigrant whenever your wage becomes too high to please Microsoft? Or your job and your company are out sourced to a Chinese company using slave labor? These are the realities of current employment.

Some of you suggest getting another job. Do you mean taking another job every time you need to catch up with inflation? Don’t you realize the potential new employers will consider you a “job hopper” and not hire you no matter how good you are? Do you want to leave your pension behind? Do you even have a pension? Do you really want to be a free lance consultant?

Wally, in a Dilbert cartoon, had the right idea. Become indispensable to your employer, only work behind the scenes and keep your head down until you can collect a decent pension. Then retire and suck on that pension fund until you die.
Well many IT workers "job hop". That is actually a good thing on your resume. Shows you have experience in many different platforms and the like. Free lance consulting pays very well. It has it's negatives too though. As for your pension there is nothing stopping you to contribution to an IRA or a 401K if it's offered by your employer. Roll it over when you find a new job. Not exactly rocket science.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who is guaranteeing that the next job will be better? The "real world" you get a job and if you don't like it you go find another one or if you really have to keep that job you suck it up and work there till you can change your situation. At least that is how I've lived my life in the "real world". Some jobs I've liked but the pay wasn't what I wanted and I moved. Some jobs I haven't like so I left. Many diffferent situations. One job a guy they hired showed up a couple months later wearing a dress and HR told everybody to deal with it. WE ALL LEFT. See how that works? LOL

As for "skilled workers" we don't have enough. I work in IT. That is why I can jump around form job to job if I find one I don't like or they don't compensate me accordingly. There are IT jobs all over. Why is that? Not enough skilled workers. You offshore your call center help. That is not a high skilled job.
You can't hop from job to job without paying a price. I'm sorry, it's not just that easy. And this whole idea that IT professionals can just do whatever they want is a bit ridiculous. Yea, they have options, but they're subject to the same problems as the rest of the workforce, just to a smaller degree overall.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM

I never said I do whatever I want. I have options though and use them when I need to. Paying what price? I don't use head hunters when going on a job search. Most of the time it's word of mouth type stuff from folks I know who hear of a job opening or that one is in their company am I interested type of stuff. Sending a resume and sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring don't cut it. Gives you something to cry about though. Waaaa nobody is calling me back. lol

Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
What about unions is a country like China where it's well known how workers are abused and under paid. Wouldn't unions fix alot of the labor abuses we see over there? Is there a better alternative to unions for Chinese workers?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I never said I do whatever I want. I have options though and use them when I need to. Paying what price? I don't use head hunters when going on a job search. Most of the time it's word of mouth type stuff from folks I know who hear of a job opening or that one is in their company am I interested type of stuff. Sending a resume and sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring don't cut it. Gives you something to cry about though. Waaaa nobody is calling me back. lol
Again, i'm employed. I don't have a resume anywhere but my computer. And i'm somewhat happy with my gig. It ain't the greatest, but ain't the worst either.

When i say pay the cost for job hopping, i'm talking about gaining a reputation as a job hopper....not good.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,938 times
Quote:

If wage is an issue, then Microsoft would have relocate elsewhere where corporate income tax would be a lot lower.

The argument of H1B taking your job is silly. Do you think a H1B that has a marketable value of 100k/yr will do a job for 80k? Sure, for temporary until he find one that pay him 100k.

The simple fact that technology hire H1B is because our education just cannot compete with the rest of the world. Anyone who has gone to college can tell you how mess up our education is. If I am computer science major, why do I have to take 40 credits in elective, AKA not computer science courses. In my collect, which 120 credits is require for graduation, that meant I can only take 80 credits in computer sciences. Don't think you I would be better off taking 120 credits in computer sciences.

So if you are a hiring manager and 2 candidate has the same qualifications, but one with 120 credits and other with 80 credits, who are you going to hire? Of course the one with 120 credits. He spent 50% more time on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies