Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""""Some women cherish the moments they have with their soon to be born son or daughter. They hold their tummies lovingly. For a child is about to be born.""""

Oh, how sweet and romantic....but you left off the part where the baby comes out of, in your words, "that hole"....

WHY are Republicans so wrapped up/involved/interested/OVERLY concerned/passing laws about pregnancy???? Uterus envy?
In Va, the Repubs lovingly refer to it as, trans-vaginal probing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
Default Really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
You say that women aren't stupid.

Well let me ask you this. If a woman allows a penis into her vagina, what does she expect?

Hmmm, I bet that something might happen. I'm pretty sick and tired of you people saying that there is a problem in society that taxpayers should resolve.

If a woman doesn't want to get pregnant, then she should keep her legs closed.

Really?? Unfortunately after reading many comments about the issue at hand, yours was the unfortunate one of breaking open the floodgates for me.

I was going to continue past this dribble-worthy comment, but I found it too infuriating to let it go without some sort of rebuttal. It's comments like this that make me believe (and worry) that some Americans think we still live in the early 20th century. It's also comments made by yooperkat that were said (in eerily similar context) earlier this year (February/March) during the House Leaders debate on the birth control mandate.

Foster Friess, who was a prominent supporter of Republican Rick Santorm and a supporter of "conservative Christian causes, made this comment on MSNBC regarding the debate:

"Back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives...*The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn't that costly,"

Now, I don't know if yooperkat has any sort of religious offiliations, nor am I implying that that he or she based this lovely "fact" on any sort of religious preference that they may or may not have. But regardless, why with the issue of birth control and abortion do the lines separating church and state seem to blend and blur each day. And this applies to many other responses and comments made in this thread.

Some Political officials in our government continue to include religion when it comes to governing the citizens of this country. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio spoke at the same House Leader debate on birth control said this:
"This is about protecting Americans' religious beliefs," Boehner said. "We've done it for 220 years. It's part of our Constitution and the government's moving in a direction that would force some Americans to violate their religious beliefs. This is wrong and we want to stop it."

First, an alarming amount of the GOP misconstrue what our founding fathers wanted for this country. They include in the constitution a freedom of religion. They were abundantly clear that in no way was our country to be ruled under one specific belief. Our founding fathers formed our constitution wanting to seperate their newly formed government and have it differ from the one they were fighting against. That opposing force being a monarch-ruled state. Yet many presidential candidates (past and present) like to advertise themselves as this star spangled awesome American that will bring back the wholesome, traditional and religious values that our country was founded on.

I am in full support of a person's freedom of religion, believe whatever you choose to believe, that is a basic right that you have. However, my problem is when we use religious beliefs as tools for how we govern women and their own personal choices about their health.

Why the long-winded lecture on then men who founded this country? Some citizens seem to forget these facts. Now when we have this discussion about abortion and birth control, we have to take a look back before addressing the problem at hand.

Contrary to what House Speaker Boehner has said, In no way is the government forcing birth control, or abortion for that matter, on an individual with religious beliefs. These individuals have a say in the matter, they can definitely choose to not use birth control and no one is forcing them to have an abortion. We have the options of birth control and abortion for individuals that DO want a choice whether that person is religious or non-religious. We are arguing basic American and women's rights.

Does the Freedom of Choice Act sound somewhat familiar. Written up in 1964, and over the years has undergone a few revision. Although it has still not been signed. I know for some of you, FOCA sends the deadliest of chills straight to your heart. Giving women the choice to keep or terminate her own pregnancy?! Careful there, we got women the right to vote. Can't give them too many choices, don't want our lovely country to go down the ****ter. All jokes aside, why isn't FOCA even under consideration in congress? Why can't we put this on the ballot? With the most recent census done in 2008 shows that the female voter turnout rate came to 60.4%.

Getting a little side-tracked there. Here's the bottom-line:

IF we were to illegalize abortion, and let's say that I've made it up all in my head that this whole issue is not backed by ANY sort of religious beliefs. Congress would have to allow, or discuss the idea of sexual education classes to be taught in public schools. They would also have to allow school nurses to hand out contraceptives to students who seek out for THEMSELVES that preventative measure. But because we've combined the two seperate issues so intricately, it is quite obvious by statements made by our own seated House members, that they are firmly against any form of birth control because it infringes on their "religious freedom".

Some are arguing the issue that they don't want to give their taxes to abortion procedures and birth control. A good few are also against Planned Parenthood as a whole. Do we get taxed for these procedures and contraceptives? Yes. But is that the entire scope of things? Absolutely not. These taxes go to the whole of women's health services. People seem to forget that most of these clinics provide a multitude of other services for women, including gynecological care, routine screenings and tests, just to name a few. If they include abortion and birth-control options, that's just an added bonus.

I stress the word 'option'! After reading a few comments made in this thread, it leads me to believe that some individuals think that abortion is forced on them. It's as if there's a doctor knocking on your door waving a speculum and miscellaneous surgical tools saying that they've "heard the good news"! I highly doubt it. If there is someone out there who can give me an example of how abortion is effecting their lives personally, I would love for you to tell me.

Despite comments made on either side of the issue, we will never NOT have abortion completely abolished from this country. Women will still find ways, whether it be through the few doctors that would continue to extend this service in secret, or women who will be desperate enough to do it themselves. Many think that women that choose abortion are just as bad as murderers. If that were the case, many psychologists would deem these women psychopaths. I've had the great fortune to meet a lot of strong women in my life, and a few of them had to make the heart-breaking decision to have an abortion.

Nobody actually takes into account why a woman would make that choice, some find themselves emotionally or mentally unae to care for a child, rape (be it spouse or stranger), and many cannot financially afford to properly raise a child. Many seem to think that you should skip abortion and just give your child up for adoption, which would raise a whole new slew of issues. Then there are those who would decide to keep their child despite lacking the financial resources. Our taxes would still be just as high, this of course assuming that these hypothetical mothers and families apply for welfare. Which is where I get a little stumped, because as far as I'm aware, the GOP aren't the biggest fans of our welfare system. The same party that has made it their goal to end abortion as a whole.

The issue is so black and white, it boggles my mind that we've managed to muddle up this issue so horribly. Even more so that we have men debating this issue on behalf of women. Whether you're a man in a position of political power, or those who are just an everyday hard-working man. unless you have a magical uterus in your body that is able to reproduce and function just the same as females do, I should kindly ask that you leave these decisions to those they are effecting.

Pro-lifer's, go ahead, I don't give two ****s what you choose to do with your body. I'm pro-choice, and just like I'm not slipping morning-after pills into your edibles or forcing you to terminate your child, please don't shove your views/beliefs into the legislation.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
You have to wonder what Jesus 's wife would have said about the War on Women.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I thought Mary was raped by God and Jesus apparently preferred the company of men and not women.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 AM

629 posts, read 946,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I do not see a problem with requiring clinics to have physical standards that even grocery stores are expected to have. Certainly doorways have to be able to have gurneys and wheelchairs to be able to have clearance.
yet back alleys have neither of those...which is the net result of shutting down clinics.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I will support ending abortions if ALL men have their Vas tied before they start carrying sperm.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM

629 posts, read 946,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
What do you think? That it's all about men?

Women are just as aggressive as men when it comes to making it happen.
Not really, statistically speaking. Yes females can be aggressive, but not on the same scale. You just have to see what men who have sex with each other do to get that idea right out of your head. Heterosexual men strike out a heck of a lot more than gay men do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The real war on women is women having children out of wedlock and forcing other women to pay for their children or their abortions.
Since it is illegal for taxpayer money to pay for abortion, I assume you're talking about assistance for the destitute?

Quote:
The real war on women are policies that cripple the economy and force women on food stamps to take care of their children. That`s the real war on women.
War on women: providing a social safety net to, and supplemental food assistance for women and children. Glad we got that straight.

Women: valued as mothers. Unless you get pregnant outside of wedlock (and presumably, not middle class or higher), then you're "waging war" by either having an abortion OR by having your child and raising it. It seems like you're in situation where no matter what you do you lose. It was set up that way...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,873 times
Why do the Democrats keep trying to pander to the white middle-class women voters with their false-flag cries of "GOP war on women"? They already have their vote come November

Phony 'War on Women' Discredits Both Parties and Disserves America
Enough is enough.

The US economy is structurally unsound. The global financial system has yet to recover or learn from its brush with catastrophe. Large and growing numbers of Americans are increasingly dependent on the government, yet feel more on their own than ever.

Our strategy in Afghanistan is unpopular and adrift. A geopolitical sea change is underway throughout the Old World. Traditional allies are weakening, yet they’re not being replaced with newer and stronger ones.

And America’s two major parties are fighting over a phony war on women.

Ingraham: The Phony 'War on Women'

Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 AM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times
FYI women can and do think of more than one issue when they vote. with that being said when the conservatives stop trying to ban abortion and BC, stop introducing personhood and ultra sound bills then the war on women can be over.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Why do the Democrats keep trying to pander to the white middle-class women voters with their false-flag cries of "GOP war on women"? They already have their vote come November

Phony 'War on Women' Discredits Both Parties and Disserves America
Enough is enough.

The US economy is structurally unsound. The global financial system has yet to recover or learn from its brush with catastrophe. Large and growing numbers of Americans are increasingly dependent on the government, yet feel more on their own than ever.

Our strategy in Afghanistan is unpopular and adrift. A geopolitical sea change is underway throughout the Old World. Traditional allies are weakening, yet they’re not being replaced with newer and stronger ones.

And America’s two major parties are fighting over a phony war on women.
Ingraham: The Phony 'War on Women'
TOTAL FAIL.

Ingraham focused on contraception and chose to ignore all of the legislation Republicans are introducing all over America designed to subvert Roe v Wade.

She also conveniently forgot to mention that the Republican candidate for President, Mitt Romney, has vowed to get rid of Planned Parenthoods......a major provider of contraception to low income women.

State Abortion Restrictions Hit Record High In 2011

These attempts to curb women's choices are right out there in black and white for all to see. Transvaginal unltasound bills, personhood bills, waiting periods, the Sanctity of Life Act......how typical of Republicans to try to sweep these bills under the rug.....to try to feign innocence in the face of FACTS that prove otherwise.

Do Republicans expect women and the Democrats to ignore these bills? NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Republicans can stop all of the talk about a War on Women.....all they need to do is to stop introducing legislation that seeks to control and limit women's choices.

So much for Republican's problem solving abilities. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies