Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yep after getting their subsidy payment to build the plant to manufacture wind energy turbines, the Siemens company in Hutchinson, Kansas has laid off 600 workers. Now this one has been in operation just under a year and is yet cutting back on production enough to get rid of about half its workers. I wonder what that 600 number will do to the recently released 6.2% unemployment rate in Kansas. These alternative energy people are really blowing my mind.
Are they Obama supporters? Very possible they will be going back for some federal money after the election, and then file for bankruptcy 6-12 months later. I think that's how it worked for all the other energy companies that Obama financed with taxpayer money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well the battery may be a problem....I don't know, but we are leasing. In a few years they will perfect this car. This is the future, no dependency on gas.
It isn't the future because do you know that US power grid can only handle 5% of the cars in the USA being plug in cars?

With the EPA hacking and slashing our coal fired electricity plants and holding up construction of new nuclear plants, we neither have the electrical power nor the transmission lines and stations to be able to make that happen.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed! Other people's misery makes the RWs very happy b/c it supports their agenda. But you better believe these people who are laid off best not collect UEI or apply for food stamps, medicaid or any other "entitlement", b/c that makes them "moochers".
That was a post that was more down the left leaner talking points than anything I have seen or heard since I listened to the main talker from that side on Fox News Sunday this morning.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 09-23-2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Damn, China has done so much work in the area of clean coal and our EPA is busy making sure that they break up coal companies through regulation. I wonder if government could cause new things if they didn't put everything into wind and solar energy development.

You do realize that more than 3 years have passed since your link was published and we have done nothing in that area in that time because our government has been more worried about breaking coal companies.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Everything I have read about the situation talks about the fact that erection of wind towers has been extremely fast the pas year of two and orders have slowed down because the tax credits will be playing out this December. Another way to make more money is what I see being taken away. Having to compete with natural gas and coal is just more than the green weenies can stand to do.
Why?
But more important is the trend. Is the current trend (regardless of tax breaks) expected to continue? Will the cost of solar panels and wind towers decrease and/or their efficiency improve?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Why?
But more important is the trend. Is the current trend (regardless of tax breaks) expected to continue? Will the cost of solar panels and wind towers decrease and/or their efficiency improve?
Without subsidies neither of those forms of power would be where they are now. Do you know that it takes about $1 million just to build the base (concrete) for one wind tower? It is pretty easy to see why they wanted to have subsidies in the form of tax credits in constructing them. I doubt their efficiency will improve any time soon, but I am not an engineer or anything like that.

Actually, what has been holding that form back most is lack of transmission lines that can handle enough power to make it worthwhile.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Without subsidies neither of those forms of power would be where they are now. Do you know that it takes about $1 million just to build the base (concrete) for one wind tower? It is pretty easy to see why they wanted to have subsidies in the form of tax credits in constructing them. I doubt their efficiency will improve any time soon, but I am not an engineer or anything like that.

Actually, what has been holding that form back most is lack of transmission lines that can handle enough power to make it worthwhile.
$1M per tower is simply insane! In such case, how do advocates of wind-power see the future? To make wind-power a game changer, it may require many many billions. Who they think is going sustain such level of spending in the long run (even if Obama subsidizes it for a couple of years)?

Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Without subsidies neither of those forms of power would be where they are now.
Roy the subsidies are only half the equation and quite possibly a lesser factor when comparing it to the mandates, the distributor has to buy that power to meet the mandates set by the state, the producer can charge more for it. That wind farm in Mass. has 15 year contract that started out at 22 cents kWh, the annual increase over the life of the contract will place the cost of that power at more than 30 cents per kWh. That's the wholesale cost the distributor is paying, not retail cost they are charging customers. In comparison the wholesale cost of electric from coal/natural gas is around 4 cents per kWh.

Quote:
Do you know that it takes about $1 million just to build the base (concrete) for one wind tower?
I have an acquaintance that put in small windmill on his property, he said the pad and the mast cost him more than the windmill. The estimates they gave him on the power he would produce were way off, he expects to break even eventually assuming no major failures ovee the next few decades.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
BUT... Toys R Us and Wal Mart plan to hire tens of thousands of temporary part time employees for the holidays. That should keep the unemployment rate from going over 9%.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I would like to see all the executives of these companies investigated for fraud and deception. Looks to me like some cheats produced a wildly inaccurate business plans to deceive the Federal government into making bad investments and the executives wealthier. They must have learned from Defense contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies