Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

To add to my previous post - Devout atheists bother me just as much as the devoutly Christian do. I am Agnostic. I believe it's more likely than not that there's no higher power but I am open to the possibility that there is. There are things that science can't prove. However, science proves that the earth is more than 6000 years old, science proves evolution, etc. I also understand how one can be Christian and believe that the earth is more than 6000 years old, believe in evolution, etc.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 PM

811 posts, read 1,055,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
The earth being 6,000 years old seems reasonable and logical to you?
Dinosaurs and humans roamed the earth together?
Why not? You make the claim that the couldn't have existed together based on arguments whose desire it is to claim that the Earth is very old. They use dating techniques that aren't reliable. The Bible speaks of the great Beasts.

Quote:
Evolution is just a theory?
Evolution is a fairy-tale, concocted by individuals who don't believe in God, so much so that they appear as though they don't know how DNA truly works

Quote:
You can't make matter out of nothing and nothing always existed. Except god - now we don't care where he came from or who made him.
Of course we don't know where God came from. I don't see the point here.

Do you not believe in a God? Do you believe in an afterlife? Youtube, "I went to Heaven", or "I went to Hell".

My own dad died and was resuscitated, only to speak of his out of body experience on his journey, in which he was offered the chance to go to Heaven. He saw his body on the hospital floor. He could point out happenings in the room, while he lay lifeless on the floor.

It's real. The Lord, Jesus, wants us all to come to Him. Don't waste this life ignoring the Truth. The Bible lays it all out.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
To add to my previous post - Devout atheists bother me just as much as the devoutly Christian do. I am Agnostic. I believe it's more likely than not that there's no higher power but I am open to the possibility that there is. There are things that science can't prove. However, science proves that the earth is more than 6000 years old, science proves evolution, etc. I also understand how one can be Christian and believe that the earth is more than 6000 years old, believe in evolution, etc.
Science does not prove evolution.

I'll go over a few things for you.

There is evidence of natural selection at work. Natural selection is not evolution. It is simply nature's way of selecting the traits that already exist within a species for the survival of the species. Those are the traits that get carried on. Thus, if a particular coloration pattern makes it more favorable for surviving, it isn't going to become a different species. It is simply gradually weeding out some traits for others, but at the macro level, it is still the same species.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Science does not prove evolution.

I'll go over a few things for you.

There is evidence of natural selection at work. Natural selection is not evolution. It is simply nature's way of selecting the traits that already exist within a species for the survival of the species. Those are the traits that get carried on. Thus, if a particular coloration pattern makes it more favorable for surviving, it isn't going to become a different species. It is simply gradually weeding out some traits for others, but at the macro level, it is still the same species.
You are really deluding yourself.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
You need to get out more. C-D is certainly not a good representation of any decent and/or respectful person. This forum is only used to push extreme viewpoints and incite others - not to be respectful of others.
You are right.

But, for whatever reason, I keep coming back. It's addictive.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You are really deluding yourself.
Really? Please explain?

In my opinion, you know very little about the argument of evolution and how its credibility is lacking.

Tell me, how can one species become another species. Even with men breeding dogs all these centuries, dogs are still dogs. A dog hasn't become another species. It's still a canine.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Actually, I think it is possible. Contrary to what some think, it is possible to believe in a supernatural higher power and still be an intelligent person. I believe the earth is much older than 6000 years, but I do believe in God. I don't believe my belief in God cancels out all other facets of my intellect.

I think religious fundamentalism is much more toxic than religion itself.

Obviously there is more than one way to look at this issue.

If we completely reject the idea of the Universe being created, we then have to accept that it self-created or that it has always existed.

Since something that does not exist cannot create itself because it doesn't exist to do so and for the Universe to have ever existed in any form in eternity past, the present moment is forever infinitely in the future, I'm going with a Creator.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Obviously there is more than one way to look at this issue.

If we completely reject the idea of the Universe being created, we then have to accept that it self-created or that it has always existed.

Since something that does not exist cannot create itself because it doesn't exist to do so and for the Universe to have ever existed in any form in eternity past, the present moment is forever infinitely in the future, I'm going with a Creator.
Yes

Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Ask those who proclaim this nonsense - I am sure they can show you the light. (Although, admittedly, I they have failed to convince me).

Since it appears that you reject the idea of a Creator, do you believe the Universe self-created before it existed or that it has always existed in some form?

If the latter, how has the present moment arrived given that the past is as eternal as the future?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,882,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I guess this is what got me.......I think as long as a leader has respect for all religions voting a non-believer in would work. The only thing I've yet to find a person who doesn't believe in God have "respect" for those who do.

Respect? People who are atheists have routinely voted for people who are "believers". Has a "believer EVER voted for an atheist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies