Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,133,357 times

Advertisements

Interesting test in Psychology Today that gauges how conpiracy-theory prone you are as compared with the general population.

Psych Research - Conspiracy Theory Study

So-how did you do? Are you living in a conspiracy-free zone, or do you need to be fitted with a tin hat?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,875,045 times
According to the test I believe that conspiracy theories regarding terrorist attacks, Princess Diana, UFOs, and vaccinations to be untrue.

Climate change was neither true nor untrue. Makes sense. I believe that there is indeed anthropogenic global warming (carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and we are literally releasing millions of years worth of carbon into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels) and that it is going to become a problem, but I still somewhat skeptical that it is going to be the Old Testament level disaster that some are claiming. Plus, the tendency of several prominent climate scientists to spend more time attacking their opponents (I especially hate the word "Denier" which was a deliberate political move to associate disbelievers with Holocaust Denial) than making their case. I am also a bit skeptical when the most hysterical of them take the average joe to task for leaving a light on when he really doesn't need to and then they take chartered jets to the other side of the world and then drive in private cars to conferences on climate change.

What I believe is based on a mixture of known facts, past history, and plausibility. I don't believe in engines that can run on tap water or can get 500 miles to the gallon because those are physically impossible. I don't believe that (most) governments would attempt to stage a terrorist attack because of the relatively small gains they would have from it mixed in with absolute certainty of negative consequences (like a literal revolution that would lead to the bodies of the planners of such attacks hanging from the nearest tall object) if such a plan was ever exposed. I don't believe that the moon landing was faked because the Soviet Union was able to verify it and if they exposed it as a fraud it would have been a major propaganda tool. I don't believe JFK was assassinated by anyone other than Lee Harvey Oswald because the available evidence points to him. I also don't believe in the UFO conspiracy theories because I see no evidence that aliens have ever visited earth and even if they did it would be pure speculation on how the government would deal with it. I also don't believe that any group or cabal does (or could) control the world. I find it funny that conspiracy theorists believe in these organizations that are so tightly knit, so disciplined, so intelligent, and so connected and in some cases have been around for hundreds of years and they still don't quite rule the world.

But one thing I did not like about that test is it seems to equate not being a conspiracy theorist with trust of the government or corporations. While I don't believe major politicians have assassin squads deployed all across the country to dispatch their mistresses nor do I believe that aspirin has been doctored to give us cancer so the pharmaceutical companies can squeeze more money out of us; I think it is fair to say that we know for a fact that both the government and business have lied in the past and even when there aren't outright lies there are definitely "gray areas". Tobacco companies deliberately lied about the health risks of cigarettes for about three decades and there is evidence to suggest that they were aware of the risks several years before they were formally discovered by independent researchers. Chemical companies have been known to engage in illegal dumping of toxic waste and lie about it. The World Health Organization tried to bury a study that they conducted when it showed that risks for secondhand tobacco smoke were significantly lower than their official claims. Government studies on marijuana tend to report serious health risks while independent studies show that those risks are almost certainly overblown.

So there's my worldview in a nutshell.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,591,975 times
Its funny how if a person questions anything that our govt shoves down our throats as fact, they're labeled "conspiracy theorists" even if what they claim as fact makes hardly any sense. Why cant the average citizen question something without being labeled a "cookoo?"

Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM

15,104 posts, read 8,658,062 times
Another test to assess how well media mind control is working.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,989,959 times
90% of these type of events did not happen as we are told.
Most just accept what they are being told because it is convenient.... apparently we need to be protected like children from the truths....how else would the power elite maintain their world control if people actually knew the truth.

Just like in the Matrix...which pill do you choose to swallow?
For how long can people be happy with their eyes "covered"?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,004,703 times
As I've said, nothing suprises me. Some theories are out there. Others.... well... not so much.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
No tinfoil for me. Now there are few other conspiracies out there if I had been questioned on would be a different story. I once listened to radio program that spent a week having listeners call in to propose their favorite conspiracy and what evidence they had that they believed supported that conspiracy. It was pretty funny and entertained me for days.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,440,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Interesting test in Psychology Today that gauges how conpiracy-theory prone you are as compared with the general population.

Psych Research - Conspiracy Theory Study

So-how did you do? Are you living in a conspiracy-free zone, or do you need to be fitted with a tin hat?
I took the study for a while and ended up back on the start of the page. I gave up.

R

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times
Overall, you believe theories about 9/11 to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about J.F.K. to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about Diana to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about 7/7 to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about climate change to be somewhat true.
Overall, you believe theories about UFOs to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about AIDS to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about vaccines to be somewhat untrue.

I'm not much of a True Believer™, I guess.

The thing about global warming is that there's too much money and too many people involved, and it became way too politicized for there not to be at least some manipulation of the facts and/or data going on. It just isn't possible. Everyone's always looking out for number one, right? So why should I believe that every single scientist, politician and aging hippie is right about every single thing released that supports the AGW theory? Simple. I shouldn't. Thus, there's some meat to the conspiracy theory.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,440,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
90% of these type of events did not happen as we are told.
Most just accept what they are being told because it is convenient.... apparently we need to be protected like children from the truths....how else would the power elite maintain their world control if people actually knew the truth.

Just like in the Matrix...which pill do you choose to swallow?
For how long can people be happy with their eyes "covered"?
So you have picked the Tin-Foil hat sir, that is your choice.

Now, let me go back to controlling the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies