Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its funny how if a person questions anything that our govt shoves down our throats as fact, they're labeled "conspiracy theorists" even if what they claim as fact makes hardly any sense. Why cant the average citizen question something without being labeled a "cookoo?"
Questioning odd things doesn't get one labeled a conspiracy theorist, although nice strawman.

It's when the "questioner" discards all proof of A in favor of the tiniest shreds of B....that people start to at them.

Look no further than sites like alex jones, rense and so forth.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,598,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Questioning odd things doesn't get one labeled a conspiracy theorist, although nice strawman.

It's when the "questioner" discards all proof of A in favor of the tiniest shreds of B....that people start to at them.

When the govt takes 5yrs to release a classified video of a plane hitting the Pentagon, and none of the millions of people who've viewed it see an actual plane, then it does make one wonder! .

Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,990,977 times
Quote:

But how about when proof A has holes in it big enough for a 747 to go through it?
Shouldn't we look closer at proof B?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,923 times
Quote:
Its funny how if a person questions anything that our govt shoves down our throats as fact, they're labeled "conspiracy theorists" even if what they claim as fact makes hardly any sense. Why cant the average citizen question something without being labeled a "cookoo?"
That was exactly what aminjihad-whatever said last night on Piers morgan. i watched that part (though I hate morgan). Morgan was pushing him hard on the holocaust question and the guy kept on this "why am I insane for asking questions"

The truth of the matter isn't that your insane for asking questions. The truth is that the insanity comes when those questions are answered, and you ignore the answers as they don't fit your world view.

The company you keep should help shed light on your own insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
But how about when proof A has holes in it big enough for a 747 to go through it?
Shouldn't we look closer at proof B?
Sure - but since that isn't the case here. . .in regards to 9/11. . .we only have proof A. Just because you are looking for Gods faces in the stars, doesn't mean they actually exist sir.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,598,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
That was exactly what aminjihad-whatever said last night on Piers morgan. i watched that part (though I hate morgan). Morgan was pushing him hard on the holocaust question and the guy kept on this "why am I insane for asking questions"

The truth of the matter isn't that your insane for asking questions. The truth is that the insanity comes when those questions are answered, and you ignore the answers as they don't fit your world view.

The company you keep should help shed light on your own insanity.

What about when the answer to your questions are: "How dare you doubt or question your govt?"

Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,877,478 times
Once the government told us we were attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin - It was a lie designed to lead us to war.
Once we were told the US doesn't assassinate world leaders yet we in fact were responsible fort he death of the S. Vietnam leader and made many attempts on Castro. I have no doubt they were successful with others we are unaware of.

To question the government draws a label of conspiracy theorist yet in fact their actions are suspect and should be questioned. They have and will lie to us in order to get what they want... memories of WMD's... Clearly the President, Vice President, Secretary of State, and Secretary of Defense lied so they could justify a war a few people wanted. While the intent is unclear it was what happened.

2000 the election of the president was corrupted by a few people that had the power and it was covered up.... Watch the "Queen of Versailles" David Siegal all but admits to getting Bush elected by likely illegal means, Greg Palast uncovered many techniques used to corrupt the election.

There are many events that did have a dubious background yet those that seek the truth are vilified. Since when is the truth a bad thing? Since when do we support those that corrupt government for their own good?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,080,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Interesting test in Psychology Today that gauges how conpiracy-theory prone you are as compared with the general population.

Psych Research - Conspiracy Theory Study

So-how did you do? Are you living in a conspiracy-free zone, or do you need to be fitted with a tin hat?
At least some of us don't believe everything the lying state run media tells us

Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,441,923 times
Quote:
What about when the answer to your questions are: "How dare you doubt or question your govt?"
and

I don't think that is ever the question. . .thats teh question you may make up in your mind, but thats not what we are saying
  • I have worked for a pharmaceticul company
  • I have worked for multiple fortune 500 companies
  • I went to college and got an advanced degree
  • I worked for Mitre as a co-op (government funded R&D) and have friends that still do

It is those life experiences that I have become fairly sure of certain key facts that I can label quite easily:

- never mistake for malice, what is easier explained by incompetence

Game Theory says that if one company cured cancer, they would go for it and make tons of money? Why? Because if they held back and Company B got there first, they would make the money. Even though the most profitable thing is for all companies to hold back - thats not what ever happens.

marketing/tv spend is the easiest example. The best thing to do to maximize money is for no one to buy tv(ads). yet if one company buys TV ads they are all forced to. These companies don't work together. . and you can see this in their actions if you look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
At least some of us don't believe everything the lying state run media tells us
And that is always the problem with theories. The conspiracy theory always requires that people set aside all tenants of human thinking, incentive, and capability in order to work together for some evil goal. Forget the fact that the goal is evil, the idea that all these people can work together - just doesn't fit the human condition. The media's incentive is to "tell" and they do that a lot, even to the chagrin of the defense department.

Now we have another reason to dismiss - Wikileaks. The secrets are easier to get out there than ever before, it would take magic to keep a conspriacy theory safe these days

and I don't believe in Magic

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,172,339 times
The government is full of liars, but they are also incredibly stupid. The only one I got 'believed "conspiracies"' on was man made global warming.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,738 times
Quote:

Yup, and the counter-logic is also a fallacy.

If someone doesn't believe in [pick your conspiracy] that doesn't mean they automatically believe everything the government tells them or that the government is incapable of lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.