Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 AM

720 posts, read 705,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
OMG i was just watching Fox News with Shepard Smith, Live and they were covering a car chase and the man ran out of the car in the middle of NO where in Arizona and the pulls a gun to his head and shot himself dead...LIVE on tv...

Fox news didnt get to pull the feed before the man did it, Shepard smith came back on and apologized but I have NEVER seen such a thing..I feel sick to my stomach to have been subjected to seeing a criminal commit suicide on Fox News. I normally dont watch Fox, but I wanted to see what they were saying about the elections and then I am subjected to this....#garbage
Welcome to the world of reality. Not what one would want to see everyday but it happens, Put on your bigboy pants and deal with it rationally, Geeez!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Now that's what I call graphic!
This fight was more. It's ranked as the top 5 most bloody.

BJ Penn VS Joe Stevenson (MONTAGE) UFC - YouTube

Old 09-30-2012, 01:33 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Oh, I have seen plenty of graphic things as well. There are literally dozens of websites devoted to it (with varying levels of taste and tact). I found an interesting site about the ballistics of firearms that was extremely dry and informative, but also had probably about two hundred photos of fatal gunshot wounds that ranged from small, nearly bloodless holes to giant craters leaking brains where a face used to be.

But two things:

1) Most people don't seek that type of thing out and would prefer not to wallow in it. In fact, there is a significant portion of the population that doesn't know what a severed human head looks like and they would prefer NOT to know.

2) It's not so much that it was bloody, but rather that it was "disturbing". You can watch medical shows during daytime that show surgery and other medical procedures in explicit detail, but it's not a big deal because nobody died, but most mainstream shows and networks won't show someone who died of a sleeping pill overdose or jumping off a bridge because although it might not be "graphic" it is "disturbing".

Yes, I agree with both points you make!!!

I was speaking more from my personal point of view.....I am pretty much desensitized to much of the graphic violence shown on tv due to it being very tame compared to internet gore......you know exactly what I am talking about.........headsaw.avi...yikes.

But I think Fox went overboard with the groveling...after accidently showing the suicide.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:49 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Welcome to the world of reality. Not what one would want to see everyday but it happens, Put on your bigboy pants and deal with it rationally, Geeez!
I don't wear big boy pants

Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
I don't wear big boy pants
Everyone is just so confused these days......

Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,029 times
Quote:
OMG i was just watching Fox News with Shepard Smith, Live and they were covering a car chase and the man ran out of the car in the middle of NO where in Arizona and the pulls a gun to his head and shot himself dead...LIVE on tv...

Fox news didnt get to pull the feed before the man did it, Shepard smith came back on and apologized but I have NEVER seen such a thing..I feel sick to my stomach to have been subjected to seeing a criminal commit suicide on Fox News. I normally dont watch Fox, but I wanted to see what they were saying about the elections and then I am subjected to this....#garbage
Oh, pleeeease!!! Stop with the garbage!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,074 times
I thought it was AWESOME.....now if we could get all criminals to do the same thing

Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
While living in San Diego about 14 years ago, I saw something similar. A man was being chased, got out of his car on a highway, shot his dog and then shot himself on live TV. I was shocked and horrified. There was very little mention of it afterwards, but I happened to be watching. I don't remember what channel but it was awful. I am certainly not a Fox News fan, but I am sure it wasn't intentional. Sorry that you had to witness something like that.
I was in junior high with this one. It was extremely graphic with lots of blood because he used a shotgun. They also stayed on the shot for a very long time after the fact. There was a lot of talk about it after the fact, though, and it is the reason why car chases are covered differently than they used to be (at least out here.)

Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
A similar thing happened on a local news station here in LA a few years ago. It wasn't a Fox affiliate. The helicopter camera was zoomed in on the suspect and they captured the moment he committed suicide. Minor controversy and apologies all around. They didn't know it was going to happen.

[this could happen to any televised news station]
I will say that they should have known what was going to happen. At the moment he had the shotgun pointed at his chin, the news should have gone on to something else.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Does anyone know what started the pursuit of the man who shot himself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies