Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Can't rep you twice!
There are issues and policies that both sides can agree on. I try to put those bad polices out there without pointing a finger.

And you know what...people on both sides tend to agree.
We have major corruption/greed going on with our government programs.
Congress is to blame.

Americans are apathetic about this because they keep sending the same cronies back to DC.
I don't see anyway this can be fixed. No person sitting in the Oval Office can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- the liberals do prefer living in a fantasy. If they really think the huge growth in the government dependent class is a great economy, and a $16 trillion and growing national debt is a great economy, they're more delusional than just about anyone on this earth.

Food stamps are way up, the number of food stamp recipients is sky high -- is that prosperity?

Start cutting back some of the welfare handout programs if anyone really believes the economy is booming.
Thanks for the rep but the national debt is the least of our problems. Our banking system is so corrupt that public debt is the only functional credit system standing. The financial system is totally baked. We need to stop the Fed from printing and hand the printing press to the treasury in fiscal policy starting with tax relief for labor to increase labor participation.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956
We will ever fight the demoralizing influence of inflation as a national way of life. We are proud to have fulfilled our 1952 pledge to halt the skyrocketing cost of living that in the previous 13 years had cut the value of the dollar by half, and robbed millions of the full value of their wages, savings, insurance, pensions and social security.
There are two components to inflation. One is the amount of money in circulation and the other is the amount of goods and services. If they are printing money and prices are going up, then too much money is being printed , the way they are printing it.

Why? Because with high unemployment and low industrial activity, it cannot be that the economy cannot support money printing if it was aimed at activating it.

Why can't people put these two things together?
Government investment : We recognize the United States' world leadership in aviation, and we shall continue to encourage its technical development and vigorous expansion. Our goal is to support and sponsor air services and to make available to our citizens the safest and most comprehensive air transportation. We favor adequate funds and expeditious action in improving air safety, and highest efficiency in the control of air traffic

We stand for forward-looking programs, created to replace our war-built merchant fleet with the most advanced types in design, with increased speed. Adaptation of new propulsion power units, including nuclear, must be sponsored and achieved.

We should proceed with the prompt construction of the Atomic Powered Peace Ship in order that we may demonstrate to the world, in this as in other fields, the peaceful uses of the atom.

This is the 1956 republicans on labor:
Under the Republican Administration, as our country has prospered, so have its people. This is as it should be, for as President Eisenhower said: "Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."

The record of performance of the Republican Administration on behalf of our working men and women goes still further. The Federal minimum wage has been raised for more than 2 million workers. Social Security has been extended to an additional 10 million workers and the benefits raised for 6 1/2 million. The protection of unemployment insurance has been brought to 4 million additional workers. There have been increased workmen's compensation benefits for longshoremen and harbor workers, increased retirement benefits for railroad employees, and wage increases and improved welfare and pension plans for federal employees.
Sound money?
The Republican Party believes that sound money, which retains its buying power, is an essential foundation for new jobs, a higher standard of living, protection of savings, a secure national defense, and the general economic growth of the country.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
As a general rule, it appears the average liberal dem wants to live in a dream world of fantasy.

The stock market growth is from ZIRP and nothing but unproductive bloat. The slanted jobs report is from low wage labor and participation is at all time lows. You are just like your opposition with one dimensional statistics.

Your Obama claim:

Unemployment number down.

The reply: Wage labor is at a discount which means it sliding down the same demand curve increasing quantity with cheapness.

Sounds familiar to the republican claim that the rich are paying all the taxes. The reply to that one dimensional statistic:

The rich have all the money.

So you cook your own goose. If wage labor is improving as you say with no loss in buying power, then the republicans are right; the rich are paying more taxes.

Democrats are useless to me in combating the party of my former allegiance. All I can do is attack the republicans on my own. You are a self contradictory and feckless lot of fact twisting loons all your own.

This is a massive mess of nothing.

The wealthy are paying the majority of taxes. The wealthy have also seen massive increases in wealth.

The middle class has lost buying power. They've also seen the dollar devalued and every component in the basket increase in price while their wages have remained stagnant and their employers conspire (via efficiency efforts) to increase their productivity or offshore their jobs to maximize profit.

The labor pool has been in decline through at least 2 Administrations. Small businesses lost a $7 Trillion dollar credit line - the majority of funding for small businesses came from the equity in their homes. Had the Administration gone to the Bond market and created a tranche for small businesses the economic recovery might be in a different place today.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are issues and policies that both sides can agree on. I try to put those bad polices out there without pointing a finger.

Congress is to blame.

Americans are apathetic about this because they keep sending the same cronies back to DC.
I don't see anyway this can be fixed. No person sitting in the Oval Office can do that.
Until we figure out a way to eliminate the massive expenditure required to get elected, we have no mechanism to effectively pink slip everyone and start over with folks representative of the majority they're charged with representing.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:

Congress is to blame.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,382,460 times
Quote:
This is a massive mess of nothing.
I would certainly try to have a more positive preface to my posts.

Quote:
The wealthy are paying the majority of taxes. The wealthy have also seen massive increases in wealth.
Right. Like I said, the rich are paying all the taxes because they have all the money, not because we are taxing them more. If you buy up all the wealth and your income goes up, you pay more taxes. The lower classes are getting poorer so they are paying less in tax. Why are you telling it back to me?

Quote:
The middle class has lost buying power. They've also seen the dollar devalued and every component in the basket increase in price while their wages have remained stagnant and their employers conspire (via efficiency efforts) to increase their productivity or offshore their jobs to maximize profit.

The labor pool has been in decline through at least 2 Administrations. Small businesses lost a $7 Trillion dollar credit line - the majority of funding for small businesses came from the equity in their homes. Had the Administration gone to the Bond market and created a tranche for small businesses the economic recovery might be in a different place today.

This must be the first post you have read from me. Can't say I disagree with it with the exception that its completely out of context. I am trying to point out the hypocrisy of the political system and its inconsistent rhetoric. So what does it have to do with this?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
As a general rule Republicans appear to despair positive economic trends and news.

Whether it's stock market growth, falling unemployment, rising home prices, reduction in debt to China, or improvements in the health of the domestic automakers, Republicans tend to respond as if each trend were a negative.

It's odd behavior from a group which claims to be a champion of labor markets and business. Do Republicans run the risk of becoming perceived as anti-business proponents?

Why are Republicans afraid to participate in the positive side of the economic outlook?
If it actually WAS positive, I would be elated.

Tell me how in the hell you can add only 110,000 jobs (it takes 210,000 each month to break even) and reduce the unemployment rate, unless more people have just permanently left the work place?

This obviously was manipulation of the unemployment numbers and has nothing to do with reality. If more people actually had jobs then-

the number "permanently" unemployed citizens would go down
the number of people on food stamps would go down
the number of people living in poverty would go down

Those numbers are all UP! How can we have fewer people working from January to October and have the unemployment numbers go down? Why are factory orders down 5%?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Trade of goods yes. But now we export raw commodities and import the finished goods.
That is not balanced trade.

That ancient concept revolved around producers trading goods with other producers.
A consumer nation with service economy doesn't produce anything. We buy stuff and fix stuff.
Hard to disagree.

Consumers used to share in the profits via raises. They made quality products and purchased quality products. Somewhere in the equation raises were kicked out, profit was off-shored to protect it from taxation and the middle class got crushed.

The simple solution is either the employees get a raise, or the taxes come back into the system. An estimated $31 Trillion is a lot of today's problems solved.

Thus far the IRS under this Administration has collected $5 Billion of previously sheltered hidden taxes...of Trillions.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
It is fairly simple. They want to win at all costs. The only thing that they have is a struggling economy that Bush left the President. If it improves, they have nothing.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Series Id: CES0500000013
Seasonally Adjusted
Super Sector: Total private
Industry: Total private
NAICS Code: -
Data Type: AVERAGE HOURLY EARNINGS OF ALL EMPLOYEES, 1982-1984 DOLLARS

Jan. - Dec.

Jan. - Aug.

Just so you liberals understand what you're cheering for and why you're seeing increases in jobs at all.

Which one of you want to jump in and say we should raise the minimum wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies