U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,176,644 times
Reputation: 1400

Advertisements

Is it Chicago or Pelosi Style?

the Labor Department spokesman said the numbers were skewed by one large state that underreported its data. The spokesman declined to identify the state, but economists believe California is the only state large enough to have such a significant impact on the overall numbers

Read more: Jobless Claims Data Skewed Downward | Fox Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,148,952 times
Reputation: 6500
From the link:

[LEFT]
Quote:
In addition, the spokesman explained to FOX Business that this large state has a history of reporting “volatile” numbers at the beginning of quarters and that the Labor Department has complained and tried to work with the state to more accurately report its claims but with little success.
“There is no explanation” for the volatility. “We have tried and tried to work with them. It’s like playing hardball with them,” the spokesman said.
The spokesman said that the unprocessed claims are likely to show up in the numbers in the next week or two. “We should see some sort of catch up.”
So based on this, the state has a history of reporting volatile numbers at the beginning of quarters. They've been doing this forever it seems: at the very least through Bush, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Obama. So all along the numbers have been suspect at times, correct? But only now are we going ****** about it?

If all is true, the number will self-correct on the next report.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,035,889 times
Reputation: 7739
Looks like Republicans are still livid about the improving American economy. They're more interested in power than seeing America succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM
 
9,857 posts, read 7,032,326 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Is it Chicago or Pelosi Style?

the Labor Department spokesman said the numbers were skewed by one large state that underreported its data. The spokesman declined to identify the state, but economists believe California is the only state large enough to have such a significant impact on the overall numbers

Read more: Jobless Claims Data Skewed Downward | Fox Business
Not one large state that underreported, I thought it said they did not turn in their data at all.

Probably the Democrats in CA under Brown excluding their thousands to make the 8.5% unemployment number 7.9%.
CA has 20% unemployment and a third of the nation's welfare and a ton of costly useless union government employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,148,952 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Not one large state that underreported, I thought it said they did not turn in their data at all.

Probably the Democrats in CA under Brown excluding their thousands to make the 8.5% unemployment number 7.9%.
CA has 20% unemployment and a third of the nation's welfare and a ton of costly useless union government employees.
According to the link, that "one state" does this every quarter. So why complain now? Because it worked in Obama's favor. At some point in time, that state's "underreporting" worked for or against some president and I didn't hear any complaining then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM
 
9,857 posts, read 7,032,326 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Looks like Republicans are still livid about the improving American economy. They're more interested in power than seeing America succeed.
It isn't about livid Republicans.
It is the FACT that tens of thousands of jobless were not counted at all because a major state did not turn in it's quarterly numbers.
Probably Democrat Brown using CA to help out Obama.

FAIL! Caught!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,148,952 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
It isn't about livid Republicans.
It is the FACT that tens of thousands of jobless were not counted at all because a major state did not turn in it's quarterly numbers.
Probably Democrat Brown using CA to help out Obama.

FAIL! Caught!

I'll say it AGAIN. It happens every quarter according to the BLS "spokesman." It is about LIVID Republicans. FAIL for you.

I just can wait until the report self-corrects for October and you people fall all over yourselves about how good those numbers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,131 posts, read 6,447,015 times
Reputation: 3657
Skewed? Let's put it this way - the method used to determine the jobs numbers were changed to purposely 'enhance' the numbers so they looked better than they really are for political reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
 
9,857 posts, read 7,032,326 times
Reputation: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'll say it AGAIN. It happens every quarter according to the BLS "spokesman." It is about LIVID Republicans. FAIL for you.

I just can wait until the report self-corrects for October and you people fall all over yourselves about how good those numbers are.
I'm in CA and know for a fact the state is tanking even worse than 6 months ago. Everything is in the toilet, so I know the economy and jobs are not doing any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Alaska
6,350 posts, read 4,375,268 times
Reputation: 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Looks like Republicans are still livid about the improving American economy. They're more interested in power than seeing America succeed.
It's not improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top