Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Do you live under a rock? They are a major retailer with stores all over the country.
No I apparently live in my "bubble". LOL

I hunt, fish and watch sports. Nordstrom's apparently doesn't cater to my "bubble". Oh well maybe if I decide to take up the world of fashion I will get to know em better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I wonder how will this end up in a few years? Certainly, there will be people that want legal marriage between 1 woman and 2 men, or marry 1st cousins, brother/sister, etc...
Not exactly seeing the issue with legalizing that, as long as all parties are consenting.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Nordstrom isn't a "1%er" dept store. Price point is probably on par with Lord & Taylor. Above Macy's but below Saks on 5th/Neiman Marcus/Barney's.
Psst - you are confusing the Walmart crowd.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I wonder how will this end up in a few years? Certainly, there will be people that want legal marriage between 1 woman and 2 men, or marry 1st cousins, brother/sister, etc....It seems more about a Liberal attack on the institution of marriage than anything else. Gays are just useful idiots that a being used by the Liberals.
Thank you, exactly the way I feel about many conservatives. They are just useful idiots being used by the conservatives...

Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, there are leigitimate, non-hokey religious or appeal to tradition reasons to limit marriage to two people.

Benefits of marriage, and the rights involved in the marriage contract are simply to unwieldly to be done between more than two people. SEX of an individual carries no such baggage or complications, and changes nothing vis-a-vis the division of rights, benefits and responsibilities of marriage.

If someone can figure out how to make that work, then you are right. The government WON'T have a "right" (or rather, a REASON) to limit marriage between two people only.
You are no different from those who want government to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

You just have a different definition. Same control by government.

You don't support freedom. You support freedom that agrees with your position.

Laws can be changed to accommodate plural marriage quite easily.

It's simple, really. You either want government to define marriage or you don't.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I find it weird that corporations support anything. Corporations aren't people. It is possible that a specific management, at a certain point in time has their preference, but managements change frequently. While in the past many companies were family owned and stable over time, today its not the case. What happens if the next CEO is opposed to gay rights? What will Nordstom be than?
In my opinion all that started as advertisement gimmicks with companies like Benetton and took of from there.
The "law" says corporations are people.....so they can get away with contibuting as much as they want to their politicians.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rho Ophiuchi View Post
Then they don't perform same-sex marriages. Period.

Once again, you ask this question as if the situation has never occurred. Same-sex marriages are allowed in six states, and churches are not required to perform them. Some do, some don't. It is the Establishment Clause that guarantees the right of a church not to perform marriages which do not correspond to its tenets. Some churches will not perform interfaith marriages. That is their right. Some churches will not perform interracial marriages. That is their right.

You can claim anything you want. But the reality is that same-sex marriage is legal in six states, and the things you keep insisting will happen if same-sex marriage is legalized, in fact, have not happened where it has been legalized.
Really? Who would have thought the pro-gay movement would go after a fast food chain because they don't support gay marriage? Is that the new America? Do what I want or I try to destroy you economically? And if we can use the power of government we will!. (Boston/Chicago). Is that the county you want?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most progressive large corporate employers provide and subsidize domestic partner healthcare insurance.

Actualy it was health ins co,s that got gay marriage passed in Massachusetts. So they could deny coverage to unmarried gay couples.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
More importantly, Nordstrom won't be boycotted or hatefully attacked by conservative groups who don't agree with their stance, unlike the homofascist Democrats.
Never heard of One Million Moms I take it. You're just attempting to avoid reality and pretend you guys don't do the same thing. You've already boycotted Target and JC Penney, and demanded Ellen be fired as their spokesperson.

Right wingers are so hypocritical it's disgusting.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm...above macy's and bloomies

btw bloomies and macy's are owned by the same parent company
Bloomingdale's is much higher end than Nordstrom. Bloomingdale's is only found in very high end shopping districts. Nordstrom's doesn't sell very high end designers like Armani, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies