Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 11:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I recently stumbled across this civic literacy test. The questions seem very reasonable.

I propose that a minimum score of 70 percent be required in order to vote in the United States.

Your "proposal" has already been tossed out by the courts.

No poll tests, literacy tests, poll taxes or other screening methods are allowed.

But take your proposal to DC and conjure up some support. Maybe we'll see you on the evening news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
By taking this test - although I met the OP standard for voting(with an 86.89 % score) I now want to learn the principles behind the questions that I missed - specifically - I am going to read The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, and find some collection of writings from Plato and Aristole. Economics and Philosophy are my weak areas - whereas history and the constitution are my strengths.

Imagine what not passing a test like this would cause someone to study so that they could vote? Aren't the democrat's always talking about stimulating the economy? Here is a way to do it without spending taxpayer money. You will see an uptick in schools designed to teach civics sprout up overnight to serve meet the demand of people who want to be eligible to vote.

Isn't the free market and capitalism a beautiful thing?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm sure you'd feel that way if you didn't make the cut.

Let's just say that the only people who can vote are people who missed a maximum of two questions on that little quiz. Oops, most of you don't make the cut!
I missed 8 questions and achieved a score of 86.89 %.

It is obvious that you didn't take the test.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I missed 8 questions and achieved a score of 86.89 %.

It is obvious that you didn't take the test.
How so?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You mean like people who fail driving tests can't drive?
Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege.

Voting -- as has been affirmed time and again by the courts -- is a right.

There's no need to put people who lack certain historical knowledge into the same category as convicted felons.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How so?
You said that only people who missed a maximum of 2 questions would meet the OP's criteria to vote.

If you had taken the test you would know that your statement was false.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Nope! What would you do if 9/11 happened on your watch AFTER we had been attacked by Al Quaeda over 20 times during the years since Reagan was President, Americans were killed in these attacks and AQ was getting bolder and bolder.

President Bush kept us safe in spite of those who just put their heads in the sand and close their eyes to an entity (terrorists) that want every American "DEAD!" This idiot in the WH has turned them loose again by eliminating their fear of American strength! That's just for starters! Then there is the horror of BO being totally ignorant of economic policy, the constitutional restrictions applied to the Federal Government, ...not enough room to list all his ignorant meddling!
No. Not quite.
How did he keep us safe if 9/11 occurred on his watch, after he was warned.
You have no proof of your other statements, you just don't like him.
This is all your opinion.
And you know what opinions are worth.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I disagree. The only thing you should have to prove in order to vote is your eligibility to do so.
Nice circular reasoning there. The topic here is what the eligibility requirements should be.

Maybe I think eight-year-olds should vote. Why not?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the unintended effect of requiring this test, or something similarly challenging, resulted in a higher voter turnout than we have today in most elections.

Cheap things are treated cheaply. Sometimes, more people will attend an event if they have to buy a ticket.
That would call into question the Law of Demand though

Quote:
More people will see voting as something important and influential, and they will desire the privilege. Many will step up to plate and get themselves qualified.

But if they don't, it's no loss.
ITA 100%.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Your "proposal" has already been tossed out by the courts.

No poll tests, literacy tests, poll taxes or other screening methods are allowed.
That's simply false.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 forbade use of tests in areas with an established history of racial discrimination. It was upheld by the courts. It did not apply to the entire country, and Congress could repeal it tomorrow. Without an explicit reauthorization it will expire in 2031.

Checking your facts is a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies