Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Basically, that old Latin saying means that not knowing the law is no excuse for breaking it.

Back when laws were still few and simple, fine. One could expect everyone to know those few laws.
But nowadays? Doesn't one have to be a lawyer or other kind of legal expert to know, understand, and simply be familiar with all those laws out there? I.e., can the ordinary citizen still understand the law - all laws that apply to him or her - even if he or she wanted to? I am not so sure, I certainly can't. The language alone is too specific for me to understand. So, is that Latin saying still justified? Or are we basically forced to hope to not to break any laws, based on common sense?
There are laws that are obscure and outdated, but they are still counted as laws. You can say there are XXXX laws in existence, but how many of those laws are enforced or applicable to today? It's unfair to expect any legal expert to know all the laws.

Every state has dumb laws. The link below lists them by state. Here are a few Arizona dumb laws.

Any misdemeanor comitted while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.
It's unlawful to refuse a person a glass of water.
Donkeys are not permited to sleep in bathtubs.
There is a possible 25 year prison stay for anyone cutting down a cactus.
]In Glendale it's illegal to drive a car in reverse.
In Globe it's illegal to play cards in the street with a Native American.
In Hayden it's illegal to disturb bullfrogs or cottentailed rabbits with in the city limits.

In Maricopa County no more than 6 girls may live in any house.
In Nogales one can't wear suspenders.
In Tombstone it's illigal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than 1 missing tooth visible while smiling.
In Tucson women can't wear pants

Weird U.S.A Laws

The way this country is going you may just see some of them resurrected.

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
One commonly broken statute is carrying a firearm in the car. For example, in NC, a firearm must be visible - so you sit it on the seat of your car (yes, this is oversimplifying but you get the point). In SC, a firearm has to be locked in a glove compartment or trunk. For folks like me - living right on the NC/SC border, this could be a problem. You get stopped on the NC side and you better have that gun out in the open. You get stopped on the SC side and you are gonna be in trouble for having the gun on your seat.

You get stopped for a routine traffic check and a world of problems could start just b/c you did or didn't have that firearm where the statute says it should be.
LOL! If you are going to be an outlaw - go big and be an international one!!!

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Here is link on that topic:
7 Rules for Recording Police
THank you so much for that link!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
One commonly broken statute is carrying a firearm in the car. For example, in NC, a firearm must be visible - so you sit it on the seat of your car (yes, this is oversimplifying but you get the point). In SC, a firearm has to be locked in a glove compartment or trunk. For folks like me - living right on the NC/SC border, this could be a problem. You get stopped on the NC side and you better have that gun out in the open. You get stopped on the SC side and you are gonna be in trouble for having the gun on your seat.

You get stopped for a routine traffic check and a world of problems could start just b/c you did or didn't have that firearm where the statute says it should be.
Radar detectors are illegal in some states...legal in others...not that they actually do any good any longer.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Basically, that old Latin saying means that not knowing the law is no excuse for breaking it.

Back when laws were still few and simple, fine. One could expect everyone to know those few laws.
But nowadays? Doesn't one have to be a lawyer or other kind of legal expert to know, understand, and simply be familiar with all those laws out there? I.e., can the ordinary citizen still understand the law - all laws that apply to him or her - even if he or she wanted to? I am not so sure, I certainly can't. The language alone is too specific for me to understand. So, is that Latin saying still justified? Or are we basically forced to hope to not to break any laws, based on common sense?
I don't speak Spanish, sorry.

But, I think I agree. The big laws are important, I just conveniently ignore the others.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:

No, because common sense would not necessarily keep you from breaking a law. You are illustrating the fact that we have too many laws and that is a consequence of having such a huge government.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Radar detectors are illegal in some states...legal in others...not that they actually do any good any longer.

Why is that?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well you should also be aware that you need to pick your friends wisely and to be safe never drive in the car with anyone else. If they have drugs in their car, you can be charged and convicted and spend time in prison even though you were completely unaware of the drugs.
Yup. This would be one reason we don't hang out with our nephew, who's a drug addict on methadone. We don't trust that he's completely legal, if you know what I mean (and I think you do).

Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why is that?
well if you are the road king you probably know more about it than I do, but he old radar detectors do not work with the new lasers.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I once mooned a Russian "Trawler" that have over 100 radio antennaes on it, i am sure I broke laws in MULTIPLE countries.
The real question is, did you break wind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies